The Equitation School

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Equitation School

I am hoping to enter the cadets next year for the equitation school and i was wondering after a few years in the equitation school, if you want a change in lifestyle could you transfer to another corps? Also can the soldiers in the school go overseas with the u.n?
    Any helpful responses would be greatly appreciated!!!!

The trick to pet names is a combination of affectionate nouns. Honeybun. Sugarpie. Kittentits.

I know someone (officer) who left the Equitation School after a couple of years and is now serving with anorther unit. So yes. No idea about the overseas element.

Comment

you are commissioned as a transport officer and if you dont cut it as a show jumper which is very common you are sent to a transport unit and treated the same as any other transport officer.....you do the full stint in the mil col so you are no different.....

Comment

If you do not reach the High Equitation standards of the school(i.e, lots of trophies) you wil lose your place in the school.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

OK, winning trophies has never been a problem but what if you are given a nag! Have they fair trials on the "issue" of horses and do you have to fire the steyr every year and the general army stuff?
          The trick to pet names is a combination of affectionate nouns. Honeybun. Sugarpie. Kittentits.

Comment

you are commissioned as a transport officer and if you dont cut it as a show jumper which is very common you are sent to a transport unit and treated the same as any other transport officer
            I understand the phrase used is "fallen jockeys".
            With 50,000 men getting killed a week, who's going to miss a pigeon?

Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people.

Comment

I'd just like to point out (not bein snobby, and i have many friends who are jockeys) but there is a big difference between a jockey and a showjumper/dressage rider/eventer, its like comparing a road sweeper to a neuro surgeon.....

Comment

I believe that in the PDF everyone, regardless of rank, age or occupation has to pass the annual physical and go out on the range. I know 46 year old programmers in signals who do it and I'd say the chief of staff has to do it as well, though as you get older you get longer I believe. Don't cod yourself though, there was a fellow in there in an office 5 days of the week who was just about the only man in the army who could do the job he did and they milled him out for failing the PT run and medical.

Comment

Originally posted by Alf
                  I believe that in the PDF everyone, regardless of rank, age or occupation has to pass the annual physical and go out on the range. I know 46 year old programmers in signals who do it and I'd say the chief of staff has to do it as well, though as you get older you get longer I believe. Don't cod yourself though, there was a fellow in there in an office 5 days of the week who was just about the only man in the army who could do the job he did and they milled him out for failing the PT run and medical.
                  What? You are joking right. Have you seen some of the old skins in the PDF? No way they pass IT's every year.
                  If your not in bed by 4 o' clock it's time to go home!

Comment

As I say the standard drops as you go up the age (and God knows up the ranks...) but that story of a programmer who was the only chap in the army who could do what he did getting milled out on the PT run is true, and I know a lot of the old guys in there who live with the fear of God in them every time the physical comes around.

Comment

There is approximately 70-80% take up on the ITs in the PDF, this means that not everyone is doing them.
                      "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

what if you are given a nag!

bet your prunes on been given a nag

equitation school what a waste of money from the defence budget to a ridicolous system thats a overhang from when the British were here,
                        it does nothing for the Army and has never done anything apart from use up valuable resources

if its that important to the country (and it will never be important to this 1/4 million th )then let the govt set it up independent of the army

ps --this is one of my favourite rants, as most of the replies will invaribly be from the dopes who actually beleive it has helped our prestige

prestige my arse

good to get that of my chest
                        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

hedgehog,

I take great offense to what you have just said and i challenge you to a duel (swords only as i have no gun licence yet!)

you obviously have no interest in horses and no idea of prestige. Now i have to keep this nice and calm, so as i won't get banned again! What about hte puissance in dublin this year, and numerous other national and international events where the equitation scholl have exceled. And personally i think you are a waste of valuble resources!

[MOD: Flame other users again and you will find yourself in the sin bin for another week]

Comment

As much as I like what the equitation school does for Irish showjumping, that post typifies the attitude I generally see in the mounted officers and is the core of the problem that I have with the horsie school.

Comment

Well if i get in it will all change when i become oic!
                              I just dislike hedgehogs stereotypical view!

Comment

Working...
                              X