Unit Traditions and History.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unit Traditions and History.

Was just surfing the weband came across this interesting site http://www.londonirishrifles.com/ Made me think how that with a re-organisation coming up nothing of our old battalions is being kept. The Brits have men who would die happily fighting for traditions and for their colours. In the London Irish they are only a company of a regiment yet retain a different head dress and separate identity with a very proud history (fighting in 2 World Wars). There doesnt seem to be very much unit pride in the Irish Army, specifically the Reserve and i think its a great shame because a soldier should be as proud as fook about his/her unit.

How many people here would die for their unit colours?

A corporal on our cadre staff is compiling a mainly photographic collection of 13bn (just b-coy i tink) then will compile it to cd and we each get a copy, which is a great idea. If any of you are in the 13th or have gone on camps/ trg cses with us could u email me with any pics if ye want im sure he'd appreciate itThanks
    Factories dont burn themselves down, they need help from people like you and me.

Comment

Originally posted by lefty
      Artillery don't have colours, we have guns, and I'd prefer to die defending the guns than have to fill out all the paperwork because I lost a gun

Comment

wot about all the lads who have 7's on their arms for the 7thBN. thats pride :tri:
        The world steps aside to let any man pass if he knows where he is going

Comment

I think something should be done to preserve the history of our battalions....it'd be a shame to loose all the history and tradition that the RDF battalions have put down over the yrs...I can't comprehend what it will be like walkin into the barracks and my battalion is gone...also will there be stand down parades for these battalions that will be lost
          What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Odin_ie
            will there be stand down parades for these battalions that will be lost
            I think the term you're looking for is piss up.
            To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

No i think the term he used is stand down parade. That reply typifies traditions and history in the FCA. Sure well have an oul piss up. I like a drink myself but come on a bit of pride in your unit wouldnt go astray

Comment

[QUOTE There doesnt seem to be very much unit pride in the Irish Army, specifically the Reserve and i think its a great shame because a soldier should be as proud as fook about his/her unit.

You dont have the regimental system in the British Army each infantry regiment had its own colours these colours were carried on the battle field by the respective regiment it was used as a rallying call or a sign post for troops to fall in behind. The colours were last used in WW1 to the best of my knowledge they have not been used since well not in the modern battlefield any way. The colours had battle honours they signified every battle that the particular regiment had fought in. Each regiment also has the Queen Colours these are given under royal warrent. Both the colours are usually kept in the officers mess within a barracks.

Comment

Originally posted by rod and serpent
                  [QUOTE There doesnt seem to be very much unit pride in the Irish Army, specifically the Reserve and i think its a great shame because a soldier should be as proud as fook about his/her unit.

You dont have the regimental system in the British Army each infantry regiment had its own colours these colours were carried on the battle field by the respective regiment it was used as a rallying call or a sign post for troops to fall in behind. The colours were last used in WW1 to the best of my knowledge they have not been used since well not in the modern battlefield any way. The colours had battle honours they signified every battle that the particular regiment had fought in. Each regiment also has the Queen Colours these are given under royal warrent. Both the colours are usually kept in the officers mess within a barracks.
                  Correct me if I'm wrong R & S, but don't the BA colours have streamers for unit awards, like unit Colors in the US?
                  "Hello, Good Evening and Bollocks..."

Roger Mellie

Comment

Streamers?

Comment

We dont have Unit colours, only units like the inf bg's serving overseas have them, we have unit penants,
                      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Streamers?
                        I guess not then...
                        "Hello, Good Evening and Bollocks..."

Roger Mellie

Comment

Streamers?
                          As steam begins to eminate from R&S's ears.

Comment

Unit Identity is Very Important. Just look at the 20Bn who will (sometimes violently) Defend their Unit ID's. Same in the 7bn where the rivalry and Esprit de Corps in each Coy pushes everyone's desire to succeed. You may not be arsed to do something yourself, But damn you if you let the Unit Down. In the Re-org our Unit is changing from B-Coy to A-Coy which is not going down well with anyone!
                            Friends Come and Go, but Enemies accumulate!!

Comment

I am proud of my units tradition. However if you look at it objectively it can sometimes seem quite stupid. I have often sat in the mess in the Glen of Immal and heard people shouting C Coy or D Coy, or what ever. And thinking shut the F##k up...muppets. Then try and out do each other by seeing who can build the biggest tower from empty beer cans. While the others throw beer mats to try and knock them down.
                              If your not in bed by 4 o' clock it's time to go home!

Comment

Working...
                              X