Essential Medical Kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Essential Medical Kit?

This is for all the medics on the board.
    Just want to know if you were going on a 24 - 72 hr ex what equipment you bring with you?

Are medics able to give painkillers ( either tabs or drips for serious injuries ), anti - inflamitories, tablets for the runs or constipation?

Are medics shown how to use and issued morphine I.V.'s ?

Are you given all the kit you need or do you have to buy it all yourself?
    It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Yes, but conditions apply. They are allowed to put in lines eg saline dextran dextrose etc but not blood this is done in hospital. Morphine is allowed but there are strict rules on this one. Morphine is not to be used on person with chest injury or head injury Patient identified with large M + Time and Date on their forehead. Usually no more than 3 applications within 12 hour period.

Comment

Useful first-aid stuff to have along with you that you won't be issued;

Pair of latex or nitrile gloves (in case you have to help someone else).
      Couple of antiseptic wipes (for cleaning minor scratches etc).
      Couple of waterproof plasters (for covering minor scratches etc).
      Small tube of Germolene/Savlon or similar (for minor scratches/irritations etc).

Another more gucci item would be a couple of Compeed blister plasters in case your feet give trouble.

All these should be sealed in a ziploc bag and will take up next to no room. The gloves might be worth storing in their own ziploc and placed next to your field dressing.

As for all the other stuff about morphine, i.v's etc, don't worry about it.

Comment

I know all the stuff I need to bring. Got plenty of wipes, gloves, savlon, elastoplast tape, zinc-oxide plaster, gauze, burnshield pads etc.

But what would a medic going on the ground have in their bag?
        It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowjacket
          Useful first-aid stuff to have along with you that you won't be issued;

Couple of antiseptic wipes (for cleaning minor scratches etc).
          Couple of waterproof plasters (for covering minor scratches etc).
          Small tube of Germolene/Savlon or similar (for minor scratches/irritations etc).
          Plasters, antiseptic cream and wipes etc. are available in all ration packs.

Comment

Unfortunately, Docman, troops won't be issued ration packs in every case - e.g;
            doing a day on the ranges, for example, where food is being delivered or being had in the camp. Wouldn't hurt to have some of this stuff to hand...
            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Is the plasters in the ration packs a recent development? I haven't seen them in packs before.

Comment

About the last year or so.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowjacket
                  Also handy if you have a cut on your hand and you have to strip and clean your weapon (keeps oil and carbon away from cut)

Comment

I'm still interested in this subject

What do medic bring out on the ground, medical equipment wise?

Comment

I'm not a medic so I cant tell you ant rules or regs, but I used one on those small tracpac medkits that you can get in army surplus stores/ Its not massive but has loads of fold out storage space and fits snugly into a smock pocket or tropusers pocket.
                      I pilled in scissors(with a plastic sheathy thingy), plasters, antiseptic cream,wipes a few needles one blades for blisters, few paracetamols,disprins that sort of thing and a few emergency brew items. Ive forgotten a few things here and there as my brother robbed it off me when he was leaving the country but all in all I had a chat to a medic before it was robbed and showed him it and he was of the opinion Id plenty of stuff in it and probably a few things i didnt need, but in my case id prefer to be looking at thatn looking for it.
                      Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

Originally posted by Bam Bam
                        I'm still interested in this subject

What do medic bring out on the ground, medical equipment wise?
                        A medical bag the same size as a PCLE Rocket pouch, As far administration of medication medics who have completed the Ambulance Skills course can administer Aspirin 300mg. and other stuff but afaik medics are not shown how to administer morphine in the Irish AMC but I do think they should.

The exact contents of the medical bag is to vast to list - but should be able to cover the majority of eventualities i.e strains , sprains burns cuts and fractures.

There is a Airway Medic backpack which has O2 cylinder etc.. but It depends on the size of the exercise whether this is carried or not.
                        I went into an Italian restaurant and ordered dessert and they gave me tiramisu and a blindfolded horse and I said No, I said mask a pony (mascarpone)

Comment

What I've found very usefull is wrapping my Battle Field Dressing in a ziploc bag and then putting a pair of surgical gloves, assorted plasters and safety pins in the bag and sealing it up making the whole thing (including your dressing waterproof). This means you always have what you need in your smock to treat the cuts and scratches picked up when out on the gorund, when you mightn't be carrying your webbing and medic-pouch.
                          "Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Comment

From the medics I've worked with they tell me that what they always bring out on the ground are nicorette patches for the twitchers who are off cigarettes until the magic word endex is uttered.
                            To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Jebus! Gone are the days where you wouldn't even worry about cut's and scratches. All this plasters, savilon, blister patches etc sounds like more weight to carry. What ever happened to having battle scars and wearing them with pride. Gaping chest wounds, arterial lacerations, amputations - yes these do need medical supplies and a bible if so inclined but Cuts and scratches and sore feet - please :confused:
                              "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Working...
                              X