X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PLCE vs Protac Webbing

Hey guys,
    I'm thinking about taking the plunge and upgrading my '58 pattern webbing
    to either PLCE or Protac. Before the mods jump on me I have reviewed the previous posts on this topic already but what i really want to get from someone is a clear weighing up of the benefits and disadvantages of both, especially as regards ease of use, which one carries the most stuff, noise that it makes with velcro, ability to grab ammo quickly, also do both work with rocket pouches?

Cheers.
    Barndoor

Bout time Barndoor, been tellin you to change for ages.
    It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

Yeh but its a fine balance, booze or webbing, hmmm.....

Comment

Get PLCE, Protac is poor and costs a fortune.
        "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

A man with priorities, so rare these days.

In my unbiased opinion go Protac, it's more waterproof then the PLCE

AMD IT LOOKS COOL.
          It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

Barndoor,
            I have a set of Protac webbing. As regards differences:

1. Protac webbing is lighter than PLCE, due to the fact that the material used
            on the packs is not as thick as that for PLCE

2. Protac is not compatible with rocket pouches, as the relevant buckle reqd
            to mount the pouches on the back of the webbing are not there, as with the
            PLCE harness. Having said that, daysacks are becoming more prevalent, and
            so DF philosophy is steering away from rocket pouches for carrying light loads,
            and more towards daysacks.

3. The pouches on the PLCE are definitely more sturdy than the Protac.

4. Spanish style fasteners on the PLCE pouches, quick release clips (a-la
            rucksack fasteners) on the Protac webbing.

5. One feature I don't like with the Protac is that the pouches don't have those
            clips on the back, which will mount onto the PLCE belt, to hold it in place.
            I spoke to Mr Protac about this, he doesn't plan to change this in the foreseeable
            future. If he did, I'm sure that he would get increased sales.

6. The Protac webbing has two larger kidney pouches (similar in size to the '58
            kidney pouches), the PLCE has the "utility pouches", which aren't any bigger
            than the water bottle pouch.

Dunno if this helps....... hopefully......
            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

The protac stuff is poorly constructed, the clips are noisy and difficult to close with one hand, the stuff tends to hang badly compared to PLCE and what are you carrying thats so big it wont fit in a PLCE pouch?
              "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Agree that the pouches on Protac don't hang well but thats fixed easily with bungee cords and cable ties, but yeah the clips are bad but thats why theres velcro.

Made my own velcro silencers so that I only use the clips but they can be removed if the clips break, so the velcro is a good backup.

Comment

From personal experiences with both Protac and PLCE, I find a hugh difference (borrowed a friends protac gear for an exercise in which I had no warning and no gear available to me). I find I can get alot more into the utility pouches of the PLCE than the protac. I also find that the protac gear does not sit well on my body (well that could just be me) with the rear pouches felling as if they are on the move the full time compared to my plce which will stay in place even after sliding down a small mountain in wicklow (ahhh fun times).
                  I would say just one thing more GET PLCE (and no better place than the new store)
                  Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
                  http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Comment

aa
                    Last edited by Troddyn; 24 November 2005, 12:58.

Comment

A Number of officers on my Std NCO course wore a combination of PLCE and protac and had lots of difficulty with the Protac stuff. Mostly down to the movement of the pouches on the belt,both laterally and horizontally. PLCE on the other hand stays in place,and sits tightly on the belt.
                      As for waterproofing..no pouch is waterproof. Unless you seal it in a ziploc bag. PLCE is tried and tested. Stick with it,if for no other reason than uniformity.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I have a protac set...the only thing i find really crap about it is the belt....although its padded the size constantly changes on its own which can get very annoying.The two larger pouches with the protac kit can fit about the same as the utility pouch on the PLCE kit.

Question.....Would Protac pouches fit onto a regular PLCE web belt
                        What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Odin_ie
                          Question.....Would Protac pouches fit onto a regular PLCE web belt
                          Yes, they do, but because of the lack of those clips on the back of the pouches, they
                          don't sit in place on the PLCE belt....
                          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Barndoor
                            but what i really want to get from someone is a clear weighing up of the benefits and disadvantages of both, especially as regards ease of use, which one carries the most stuff, noise that it makes with velcro, ability to grab ammo quickly, also do both work with rocket pouches?
                            The big problem you are going to find with the Protac stuff is lack of uniformity. The PLCE stuff you can buy is ex-Brit Army stuff and although different to the Irish stuff (actually superior to the Irish), looks so similiar as to not cause problems. You can wear it on tactics, duties, rifle competitions, etc. and noone will say anything. HOWEVER the Protac stuff can be seen a mile away, is not uniform and you will not be allowed wear it on duties or competitions and integrated tactical exercises. It draws a lot of attention.

The PLCE is a lot cheaper and fits together beautifully. My suggestion to you would be to Buy PLCE (from the store) and add bits and pieces from Protac to customise it.

Mostly down to the movement of the pouches on the belt,both laterally and horizontally. PLCE on the other hand stays in place,and sits tightly on the belt.
                            I have found this also. I usually find that placing a Protac pouch between 2 PLCE pouches helps. However, over the years I have gone almost completely PLCE with only the Protac Angle torch holder on my webbing. I also wear a Protac Pistol Holster on a PLCE belt as the Protac belt is nearly usless for anything other than Protac stuff.

Go PLCE

Comment

on a side note...i like the look of the new shop!!!
                              What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X