No announcement yet.

Fix bayonets!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

apparently some Scottish unit in Iraq fixed bayonets a while back - I guess the insurgents don't like it up 'em, as Cpl Jones would say.

Because they ran out of ammo in a fire fight. Not good news.

For riot control situations, the sight of a bayonet can have a very sobering effect.

Not really. Since the rioters or rather the organisers would dearly love to haul the DF over the coals for brutally hacking peaceful protestors to death. For example see the May Day riot cases currently doing the rounds and the Barr tribunal.
    sigpic
    Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
    My favourite moment was when the
    Originally posted by hedgehog
    red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

we did our recruit passing out with fixed bayonets.carried the rifle by our side a la f.n drill .held rifle by the mag a la aussie army.good display.Everything about baonets is in the steyr rifle manual .just look.
      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20
        Unlike the FN Bayonets, the steyr bayonets aren't numbered and linked to a particular rifle. Still I would have thought that units would be issued with equal number of bayonets as rifles.
        Stock control? If only X number of bayonets are on issue to units, at most X can go missing.
        Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

If ya haven't done a battalion fix [old Lee Enfield]ya haven't soldiered

Comment

Originally posted by Victor
            Stock control? If only X number of bayonets are on issue to units, at most X can go missing.
            Even in the lowly RDF, equipment is not expected to go missing, and if it does the result is usually the entire unit being sent to retrieve the missing items, even if it is only an empty magazine

Comment

Originally posted by Barry
              Even in the lowly RDF, equipment is not expected to go missing, and if it does the result is usually the entire unit being sent to retrieve the missing items, even if it is only an empty magazine
              I think you mean especially if it is an empty magazine
              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Working...
              X