X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck Driver
    replied
    Originally posted by Barry
    Even in the lowly RDF, equipment is not expected to go missing, and if it does the result is usually the entire unit being sent to retrieve the missing items, even if it is only an empty magazine
    I think you mean especially if it is an empty magazine

Leave a comment:

• Barry
    replied
    Originally posted by Victor
    Stock control? If only X number of bayonets are on issue to units, at most X can go missing.
    Even in the lowly RDF, equipment is not expected to go missing, and if it does the result is usually the entire unit being sent to retrieve the missing items, even if it is only an empty magazine

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    If ya haven't done a battalion fix [old Lee Enfield]ya haven't soldiered

Leave a comment:

• Victor
    replied
    Originally posted by Bravo20
    Unlike the FN Bayonets, the steyr bayonets aren't numbered and linked to a particular rifle. Still I would have thought that units would be issued with equal number of bayonets as rifles.
    Stock control? If only X number of bayonets are on issue to units, at most X can go missing.

Leave a comment:

• apod
    replied
    we did our recruit passing out with fixed bayonets.carried the rifle by our side a la f.n drill .held rifle by the mag a la aussie army.good display.Everything about baonets is in the steyr rifle manual .just look.

Leave a comment:

• Groundhog
    replied
    apparently some Scottish unit in Iraq fixed bayonets a while back - I guess the insurgents don't like it up 'em, as Cpl Jones would say.

Because they ran out of ammo in a fire fight. Not good news.

For riot control situations, the sight of a bayonet can have a very sobering effect.

Not really. Since the rioters or rather the organisers would dearly love to haul the DF over the coals for brutally hacking peaceful protestors to death. For example see the May Day riot cases currently doing the rounds and the Barr tribunal.

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    curiosty is satisfied....I really don't know why I don't just email Gh on such matters.....

Leave a comment:

• combatlogo
    replied
    Originally posted by Groundhog
    Bayonets went out of ceremonial drill about 2 or 3 years ago. People kept trying to impale themselves on them. Every rifle comes complete with a bayonet which is kept locked away from souvenir collectors and people with penis envy. The bayonet charge, like the cavalry charge, is history.
    apparently some Scottish unit in Iraq fixed bayonets a while back - I guess the insurgents don't like it up 'em, as Cpl Jones would say.

For riot control situations, the sight of a bayonet can have a very sobering effect.

Leave a comment:

• Groundhog
    replied
    Bayonets went out of ceremonial drill about 2 or 3 years ago. People kept trying to impale themselves on them. Every rifle comes complete with a bayonet which is kept locked away from souvenir collectors and people with penis envy. The bayonet charge, like the cavalry charge, is history.

Leave a comment:

• DeV
    replied
    "They don't like it up 'em!"

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    I need a new keyboard...you need a hammer to get the keys on this thing to register.......

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    ah yest Mr Nigel green the wonderful colour sergeant Bourne.....

I was really wondering as with the the FN fix bayonets involved dislocation of the wrist ...inverting the frog...and loosing the tip of the thub....Fix.....wait for it ....bayonets ...feel for it don't look down....

and the unfixing of bayonets with the soldier in question impaling the palm of the left hand down to the flash eliminator...

Do such actions take place with the steyr...the manual makes no mention of drill...so is there a drill mnaual dedicated to the subject or do you just arrive on parade with the thing in place.........as reagarding the steyr bayonet its elf I reckon you have a better chance of inflicting a wound on a guy using a Mach 3 razor.......

Please sergeant can it be my turn to play with the knifey thing today...Sorry son we don't have enough to go around...said in My best Colour sergeant Bourne voice.......

Leave a comment:

• greyfox
    replied
    never did much with the bayonets you may notice that the steyr has a bayonet lug attached with an allen key this is because the bayonet is not used on the austrian version they see them as inhumane they get a nice flash suppressor instead ,
    hard to get them from stores at times dont think people want the hassle of a nice stab wound and seeing some of the muppets i have met in the rdf i must agree , the styer is a bit short for drill with bayonet fixed the guy on your right better hope you keep your dressing !!

the old "fix bayonets" deliverd at the right time such as after the falling plates team fail to hit half their targets , or on night tactics when about to be overun or over runing the enemy pos ( makes your enemy stop and think for that vital secound ) but it must be deliveried in your best british sgt majors voice a-la Zulu
    as for there place in the moderen army well worth the read
    http://regimentalrogue.tripod.com/papers/bayonet.htm

Leave a comment:

• T.I.M.
    replied
    Originally posted by hptmurphy
    Given the amount of rifles in the country how come bayonets seem to be in short supply.

Does not each weapon not have its own bayonet...
    as Bravo stated, there not matched with the rifles, plus there useless.... they break too easy, ask anyone who's done Bayonet training!

Leave a comment:

• apod
    replied
    No the plce manual/video has not been updated.Cefo layout was meant for an atcp army.No longer the case.the large utility pouch is actually the respirator haversack and is only worn if there is an nbc threat.The frog is worn directly behind the left ammo pouch on front of the waterbottle pouch.it never moves as you fix bayonet with your left hand.(unless you are a southpaw shooter of course)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X