Roles of the Army Reserve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roles of the Army Reserve

Upon reading the thread "Midleton Search" i saw questions as to what is the Role of the Reserve and remembered reading about it in the RDFRA Summer news letter 2003 and also in a recent publication in the army magazine (which one to follow when I get home) and found the following:-

Roles and tasks for the Reserve Defence Force:

1) Defence against armed agression

2) AID TO THE CIVIL POWER (known to us as ATCP)

3) Participation in Peace support operations

4) Fishery protection

5) Other duties as may be assigned from time to time

(go to the bottom right of page two)

The magazine says that for the first time the Reserve have the same roles as the PDF. Iv found out that certain Coys in my Bn were called out (mine not one of them, im not sure if they were in uniform)

As the above clearly states the Reserve can take part in ATCP as it is a task assigned to them so why was the Reserve not mobilised on a bigger scale-my Coy being at most an hour from Midleton.

In my opinion it asks the wider question-what is the point of assigning us the same roles as the PDF if we are not going to be used.
    Last edited by Bulldog Jr.; 17 January 2005, 19:10.
    Assurance is credable and to be credable you'v got to show you can do it!!

Can I ask a question about the ATCP? If there is such a call-up, is it mandatory attendance or whoever can make it?
    "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

I do remember seeing a lot of uniformed RDF personell around cork around the time of the search mostly after 6. I did wonder what was going on...its a little obvious now.
      What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

yeah, all 100 of them....
        You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

Originally posted by stameen soldier
          Can I ask a question about the ATCP? If there is such a call-up, is it mandatory attendance or whoever can make it?
          DEFENCE ACT, 1954 SECTION 90

(1) The Minister may, at any time when occasion appears to require, direct that all or so many reservists as he thinks necessary be called out in aid of the civil power in the maintenance or restoration of the public peace.

(2) Whenever a direction is given by the Minister under this section, a notice, shall be served on every reservist to whom the direction relates requiring him to attend at a time and place specified in such notice, and such reservist shall after that time, or the purposes of this Act, stand called out in aid of the civil power and remain called out in aid of the civil power until the prescribed military authority directs his release.

DEFENCE ACT, 1954 SECTION 96
          Where a notice is permitted or required by this Chapter to be served on a reservist, it may be served on him—

( a ) by delivering it to him, or

( b ) by leaving it at his last registered place of abode, or

( c ) by sending it by post, in an envelope addressed to him at his last registered place of abode.

DEFENCE ACT, 1954 SECTION 242
          (1) Where a reservist—

( a ) when required by Reserve Defence Force regulations to attend at a particular time and place, fails, without reasonable excuse, to attend at such time and place, ...
          such reservist shall be guilty of an offence under this section and shall be liable on summary conviction thereof to a fine not exceeding twenty-five pounds.

(2) Where a reservist commits an offence under this section he may be taken into service custody.
          The above fine was increased to ÂŁ 250 under the DEFENCE (AMENDMENT) ACT, 1987 SECTION 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldog Jr.
            Upon reading the thread "Midleton Search" i saw questions as to what is the Role of the Reserve and remembered reading about it in the RDFRA Summer news letter 2003 and also in a recent publication in the army magazine (which one to follow when I get home) and found the following:-

Roles and tasks for the Reserve Defence Force:

1) Defence against armed agression

2) AID TO THE CIVIL POWER (known to us as ATCP)

3) Participation in Peace support operations

4) Fishery protection

5) Other duties as may be assigned from time to time

http://www.rdfra.ie/documents/Newsletter%2003Q1.pdf

(go to the bottom right of page two)

The magazine says that for the first time the Reserve have the same roles as the PDF. Iv found out that certain Coys in my Bn were called out (mine not one of them, im not sure if they were in uniform)

As the above clearly states the Reserve can take part in ATCP as it is a task assigned to them so why was the Reserve not mobilised on a bigger scale-my Coy being at most an hour from Midleton.

In my opinion it asks the wider question-what is the point of assigning us the same roles as the PDF if we are not going to be used.
            Maybe there were enough people on the ground already and your services weren't needed by the RDF, at any rate there was a large turnout from the 23rd and some other units. The entire army doesn't have to be mobilised on ATCP ya know.

Comment

400 actually.

Please refrain from using RDF as a substitute for FCA.

Old RDF = FCA + SM

New RDF = AR + NSR

Thank you for your cooperation.

Comment

make that man a moderator........

No what we call ourselves or like to think that we are ..alot of the DF still sees us as bags!
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

MOD: Operational Info Deleted.

Comment

If that were the case my Bn would have have over 450 (3 Companies) I'd say.... now imagine that.

Comment

There are differences between establishment (mobilised / peacetime), strength (effective / authorised) etc

When the government cut the DF by 1000, the establishment didn't change, the authorised strength did.
                      Last edited by DeV; 18 January 2005, 19:32.

Comment

I thought we were discussing Roles of the Army Reserve, what the hell are ye boys on about? Sluggie was quite adamant about Army Reserve not being the same as the Naval Reserve. So why don't ye toddle off and discuss the Sea Scouts on yere own board.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV
                          There are differences between establishment (mobilised / peacetime), strength (effective / authorised) etc

When the government cut the DF by 1000, the establishment didn't change, the authorised strength did.
                          Should read establishment (authorised), strength (effective). I think DF cut of 1,000 did impact on the establishment.

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldog Jr.

If you read the article properly, it saye that it is INTENDED that the RDF will have the same roles as the PDF.

It is part of the re-org and is waiting on the proper legislation to be implemented before we have an ATCP role. The legislation will be implemented by June 2005 (according to the DoD).

Currently we do not have that role.

Comment

Originally posted by Docman
                              Currently we do not have that role.
                              See my post above:
                              under the Defence Acts the RDF can be called out in aid of the civil power in the maintenance or restoration of the public peace.

Comment

Working...
                              X