Gormonston Camp Sale?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gormonston Camp Sale?

I came across an article in the business section of the Indo (Tuesday or Wednesday edition I think) regarding the sale of Gormonston Camp to property developers. In it the journalist talks of the former Air-Corps base and then goes on to talk about the former Army-Camp. Apparrantly the lands are being developed but would I not be right in saying that there still is an army camp at Gormo with serving personnell still there? What did he mean by former army camp then??
    "Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied."

Otto Von Bismark

http://www.irishmilitaryonline.com/b...2&postcount=29

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Dillon
      I came across an article in the business section of the Indo (Tuesday or Wednesday edition I think) regarding the sale of Gormonston Camp to property developers. In it the journalist talks of the former Air-Corps base and then goes on to talk about the former Army-Camp. Apparrantly the lands are being developed but would I not be right in saying that there still is an army camp at Gormo with serving personnell still there? What did he mean by former army camp then??
      I can assure you its not a former army camp, 'well not yet anyway' No final decision has been made so far on the camp or range itself, But the lands and runway are another matter.
      it will be long, it will be hard, and there will be no withdrawl
      Winston churchill

Comment

There is a coy still based there
        "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

There's that much talk about it been sold and then been developed further as a barracks to replace Cathal Brugha barracks, then it's just the runway and surround land that's been sold it's hard to know what I'll happen it.

As far as I know it's still used for recruit training and training in general and it's definitely still staffed. The aircorp personal that we're based there before the camp was closed as a air base we're given the option of staying on at Gormanstown or going down to Baldonnel and a lot of them chose to stay.
          Last edited by Roger McGee; 22 January 2005, 22:09.

Comment

so what work do the air corps personnel now do in Gormanstown
            There is no problem that cannot be fixed with high explosive.

Comment

was there ever before such a stupid sale of a military post

G ton was far from ideal for training recruits or others but it was the best available for 2 Bde
              now not only have we got rid of an airfield but as sure as shit stinks we are getting rid of the camp- when the camp goes then it follows the ranges will go- you cant do much AA practices in Kilbride

Whent they were building the Luas line to sandyford - a big whack of the budget went on buying back land that they used to own -

Does the govt ever learn

if sone where is to be sold - why not Cathal Brugha- it would re equip the army very nicely
              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
              Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog
                Does the govt ever learn

if sone where is to be sold - why not Cathal Brugha- it would re equip the army very nicely
                No. The government does not learn. O rpossibly it has learned far better than any of us suspect. You decide.

Sell Cathal Brugha, McKee, and every other urban barracks, use the proceeds to purchase County Leitrim- hey presto: more training area than you can shake a stick at!

The sale of Gormanstown has been rumoured periodically for as long as I've been hearing rumours about the DF, so at least eight years.
                Take these men and women for your example.
                Like them, remember that posterity can only
                be for the free; that freedom is the sure
                possession of those who have the
                courage to defend it.
                Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
                If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

Originally posted by stinger
                  so what work do the air corps personnel now do in Gormanstown
                  The same as their army counterparts as far as I know.

Comment

BUMP!
                    Land to be reincarnated in low-cost housing development
                    Date: Saturday, July 05 @ 07:22:36 CDT
                    Topic: Papers Today

AUSTERE, Victorian-era army barracks, a mock battlefield and the previous home of Dublin's tram system are just some of the previous incarnations of land earmarked for low-cost housing by Taoiseach Bertie Ahern yesterday.

Parcels of Government-owned land at McGee Barracks in Co Kildare, Gormanston in Co Meath and on Jamestown Road and Infirmary Road in Inchicore, Dublin have been set aside for the State to build approximately 10,000 low-cost homes, the Coalition announced.

Although details are sketchy and the precise locations of the new housing developments have yet to be finalised, some 309 acres of land owned by the Public Works Department and leased to the Defence Department will be released to initiate a scheme aimed at giving low-earning, first-time home buyers a leg up on the property market.

The sites include the former terminus for Dublin's tramway system on Infirmary Road in Inchicore. The 2.75-acre site is mostly derelict and unused but was once bustling with activity as the trams terminus.

Another seven acres of land owned by the Office of Public Works on nearby Jamestown Road has been used as the OPW's main engineering facility.

Other locations include McGee Barracks in Co Kildare. The former British army barracks have been falling into disrepair over the past century and were vacated by the Defence Department about four years ago after being used as the Defence Forces' School of Artillery.

However, 18 acres of the 60-acre site currently houses an accommodation centre for asylum seekers as well as a temporary halting site for Travellers.

The largest tract of land earmarked for the project is a 250-acre site at the former Aer Corps strip at Gormanston.

As well as being used as a military air strip, the site has also been a staging ground for Irish peacekeepers en route to Lebanon - as well as a training ground for reserve forces during the summer.

It has also been used as an air defence training ground, using artillery.

The sites will be turned over to local authorities, and will be developed subject to local planning permission.

Allison Bray

© Irish Independent

Was googling this morning and came across this article ....

Anyone here know any more about the situation in Gormo, ive heard everything from it will be kept as its one of the only ranges the air corps can fire from to it will be reopened again, to the old it'll be sold/has already been sold. I know the runway is off limits (large X painted on its surface) except to boy racers.
                    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

would they get much for it ?

Comment

Not sure, theres a fair few acres available.

If they sell it for housing (which i hope they dont) how are we going to be able to use it for exercises with so many locals near by?

For a start its fencing and boundaries would need to be re-thought.
                        "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                        "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

So no more AD shoots there in the summer then.I can just imagine the line of locals over to complain about the noise. I wonder where we'll be sent? or is there anyplace as suitable as gormo.
                          Blog

WHAT FLIES DIES

Comment

Originally posted by ackack
                            I wonder where we'll be sent? or is there anyplace as suitable as gormo.
                            The only exisiting coastal danger area (for aircraft) is around Clonakilty Bay which is up to 45,000 ft compared to Gormo's 40,000 ft.

There maybe, anyone know what it is currently used for?

Comment

D13 is a naval range and is active only to one point of land at the old head of kindsle which of course is a golf club so I can't see the ack ack boys being allowed to tow thei guns across the fairways.....its quite a large are.....but as most of the ammo is proximty fuzed....its not a great hard al though all the firing is done in a seaward direction...
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
                              X