Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Equipment 2005 (Army)

Minister for Defence (Mr. O’Dea):
    .............................The total expenditure for 2004 for equipment under those subheads was in the region of €100 million and a similar provision is available this year.

The acquisition of light tactical armoured vehicles, LTAVs, for the Defence Forces has been identified as a key priority by the military authorities for 2005. The LTAVs will complement the work of the 65 Mowag armoured personnel carriers delivered in the past few years at a cost of some €84 million. The final stage payments for the APCs in the sum of €9.6 million will be paid in 2005. Preparations are in hand for a tender competition for the acquisition of the LTAVs and I would expect that the competition will commence in the near future. The precise number of vehicles to be acquired will be confirmed at a later date. The cost of the LTAV programme will only be evident after the tender competition is held.

A contract for the acquisition of the Javelin missile system from Raytheon-Lockheed Martin in the USA at a cost of some €13 million inclusive of VAT will be fulfilled this year with the main delivery due this summer. The purpose of this acquisition is to give Defence Forces personnel an effective, anti-armour capability while on peace support operations. The system will replace the Milan system.

On the general transport side, the focus will be on the purchase of ¾ ton trucks, trailers for the DROPS vehicles, the purchase of a number of EOD trucks and some road ambulances for the Army Medical Corps.

There have been ongoing programmes of acquisitions of both nuclear biological chemical, NBC, equipment and night vision equipment, NVE, in recent years and these programmes will continue in 2005 to meet the ongoing requirements of the Defence Forces. This will include the purchase of a further 1,000 NBC suits this year..............................................

he focus will be on the purchase of ¾ ton trucks
    isn't a 3/4 Ton truck a humvee type vehicle? :confused:
    Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

The Humvee weighs about 1 1/4 tons afaik.
      Education isn't everything, for a start it isn't an elephant

Comment

Originally posted by mutter nutter
        isn't a 3/4 Ton truck a humvee type vehicle? :confused:
        LOL, no they are the light truck that you roll around the back of while going to the range
        You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

Originally posted by futurepilot
          The Humvee weighs about 1 1/4 tons afaik.

I thought the 3/4 ton's reffered to the cargo capacity
          Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

A 3/4 tonne truck is the army description for a Nissan Patrol/Land rover type vehicle. The tender for these is mentioned elsewhere here.

The Trucks that are used for troop carrying are 7 tonne trucks. It does as Mutter says,refer to the Payload of the vehicle.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

learn something new everyday, Cant see the department going for baby killing hummers though.
              You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

what happens the milans? are they passed to the RDF (fat chance!) or are they sold off?
                "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

The IWW thought they were keeping them last july, otherwise they'll be scrapped.
                  "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Working...
                  X