Arts Graduates need not apply?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arts Graduates need not apply?

I'm an arts student at the moment who had always planed on joing the defence forces(only reently discovered this site) and understood the basic requirements going along with a degree, but after reading this website and noting how much much more difficult it is to become an officer it is, i've come to a realization that and arts degree would be more likely shunned upon by recruiting officer. I am also an older student as I dropped out of an economics degree(seems a bad idea now) and am currently studying History and Greek and Roman(classics), so will be 23-24 when i`m finished. All this is mind is an arts degree completly worthless, or will fitness etc. help me out?

Bah and don't flame too much please

Which Corps /Regt did you want to join. I`ll get my plug in early join the British Army, more likely to get in.

Comment

no,an arts degree would not be worthless...any degree is be a big plus,it saves them a lot of trouble and expense later if you get in. the army sends officers to galway do arts degrees 16 months after they come out of the curragh.
      fitness isnt a much of an issue either,the physical is a piece of piss.
      what you should be most concerned about is your experience of teamwork,leadership and decision making,thats what they'll be focussing on in the interviews.
      if you havent already sent in the form for this year's competition then you're probably too late,the deadline is tomorrow. if you're planning on going for it next year then start building up your cv in the above areas,pronto.

Comment

i'm involved in lots of the sports clubs(the running of them-"PR director for Boxing Club etc.) in my college, if that what you mean, or should I seek good employment(i.e. not part-time "down da spar") ?Gaise wortha damn lol?

Comment

basically,anything involving leadership,organisation,decision making,teamwork or physical exertion is good no matter what form it takes...work,sport,whatever. anything you can think of involving any of those,you have to stick it down on the application form and play it up to the last..you want to make them think that you've got drive,initiative,all that shite. you should be looking to have at least two or three things for each competency area to have a good chance. and yeah,gaisce is a good example..you can explain in detail how you organised a bunch of lads and took charge of planning and going on a 30-mile hike in the wicklow mountains....that kind of thing. you get the idea.

Comment

cheers FCA.
            It also feels good no to be the only one up this late on a thurs ;-)

Comment

just on a side note, I have the option of taking arabic too, should I take it?-i.e. it seems a good idea at present...

(I now take onboard that any degree is good in itself, but the qualities are more important, just a possibility open)
              Last edited by Guest; 4 February 2005, 00:34.

Comment

Go on, and do the Arabic for the craic.
                "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

I remember seeing the option of doing a Degree in "Fire" on UCAS forms recently.

Should have gone over to see what it was about.
                  True soldiers don't scurry for their reward..

Comment

if you havent already sent in the form for this year's competition then you're probably too late,the deadline is tomorrow.
                    They changed the deadline to Feb 11th

Comment

What type of leadership of decision making would anyone do in college? The biggest decision most under 30s make is to go to the pub or not. There must be some amount of bull in those cadet forms

Comment

My course has a good few leadership exercises in it, we get marked on it too. Depends on the course lefty.
                        "I have never accepted what many people have kindly said, namely that I inspired the Nation. It was the nation and the race dwelling around the globe that had the lion heart. I had the luck to be called upon to give the roar"
                        - Sir Winston Churchill, Speech Nov. 1954.

Comment

Clubs and Societies lefty. In just my firsdt year, I've done things I thought I'd never do, and more is to come.
                          If you have to do it, you always have to do it right. Either it makes a difference, or it’s good practice so that when it does make a difference, it gets done right.

-Me.

Comment

Im a member of plenty of clubs and societies, but come on decision making with college clubs? Leadership? My course does seem to involve a lot of group work exersises and speaking in front of class so hopefully thatll be a help if i go for cadets

Comment

Arent arts degrees for those confused by the cao form?
                              You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

Working...
                              X