Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Curragh 'Gate Guardian' Tanks & Tank Talk by Tankers....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curragh 'Gate Guardian' Tanks & Tank Talk by Tankers....

I recently noticed that a small tank (Lansverk?) has been moved from near the prison to the front of one of the renovated buildings (and repainted!) - and it looks great !!!

My question is -

Why don't they repaint the old Comet tank (which has been languishing in a yard for years) in a green colour scheme and place it near the entrance to the Curragh ?

It would look great as the Curragh Camp's 'gate guardian' !

The tank in question ................
    Attached Files
    IRISH AIR CORPS - Serving the Nation.

In all fairness Silver you'd probably be better off asking Joe Duffy or Marianne Finucane.

But then they'd complain about all the orphans that would die from restoring that killing machine to gate guardian status.
    "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

There's also an old Churchill tank just around the corner from the Comet dont forget.WOuld also look great at the gate
      "Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied."

Otto Von Bismark

Comment

What make is the newly renovated tank (in front of officers mess?) ?

Comment

Originally posted by Silver
          I'm not sure where the osifers make their mess,but It could be the Landsverk
          Attached Files

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

That has to be the worst photograph of A Lansverl L60 I've ever seen.

Why should they repaint the Comet....seeing as they have one in immaculate condition that even runs!
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

[QUOTE=hptmurphy]That has to be the worst photograph of A Lansverl L60 I've ever seen.
              QUOTE]

It is "not good practice" to post pictures of military installations. This picture conforms.

Seriously though, please bear security in mind when posting pictures on this site.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver
                Its the Lansverk alright Silver, from what I've been told

Otto Von Bismark

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
                  I'm not sure where the osifers make their mess,but It could be the Landsverk
                  Yep, that's the one alright Goldie.

......looks like you took that pic in quite a hurry

Cheers,

Silver.

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy
                    Why should they repaint the Comet....seeing as they have one in immaculate condition that even runs!
                    Well, why leave it rusting 'around the back' when it could be proudly displayed 'out front' ???

(p.s. I'm aware of the 'roadworthy' Comet - I've seen it in action.)

Regards,

Silver.
                    Last edited by Silver; 15 February 2005, 02:11.

Comment

Fascinating to see these tanks and hopefully when im in the barracks ill get a closer look at the comet. I believe it was classed as a "heavy" tank by the british and one of only a handfull of types that could actually have a standup fight with the german Tiger tank. I read on one website thay apparently in one WWII battle a comet took 36 hits from various weapons and was still able to make a retreat in more or less one piece.

im building a plastic kit churchill replica model at the minute. ive a few questions, if anyone could answer them, id appreciate it.

how many churchills and comets did the irish army field ?

if the comet is driveable has it ever put on a public display, even in vintage military vehicle shows ?

stupid question but is this driveable comets main gun still functional ? (id assume not )

what type of armament did the irish army comets and churchills carry?
                      Last edited by morpheus; 15 February 2005, 10:11.
                      "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                      "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

You mean you havent bought karl martins excellent book yet?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Is that the Brigadier Martin from the Western Brigade? Is he still serving?

Otto Von Bismark

Comment

Churchills amounted to four...the airfix model is the wrong version..it has the welded turret while the Irish army used the Cast version...sorry.

the Comets were withdrawn due to lack of ammunition. They were in service with the brits until the late fifties. the centurion being a direct predeccessor of the comet.So in effect these were the origins of the modern Briish MBT...given that all others were either cruisers or infantry tanks. Don't ask me to explain the British thinking on tanks but seemingly the different casses asssigned dictated the role which they operated in.
                            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

How many churchills and comets did the irish army field ?

if the comet is driveable has it ever put on a public display, even in vintage military vehicle shows ?
                              You really should buy Karl Martin's book as Goldie mentioned above - full of such info.

Regarding the 'driveable' Comet, I saw it in motion at the Cavalry Corps parade a few years ago. It was driving ok, if a little "spluttery" so to speak. It was backfiring quite a bit and gave one huge bang towards the end of it's parade - sounded like a gun going off !

AFAIK, The Comet pictured above (which I photographed that day) is not driveable.

I think it's a real pity that it is languishing in a yard when - with a new coat of paint - it would make a great 'gate guardian' diaplay near the Curragh Camp entrance road (i.e. the main road through the Camp).

There is a Military Vehicle Show on 8th May this year at the Curragh Race Course organised by The Military Vehicle Club of Ireland (www.mvci.org).

Perhaps the Army could be persuaded to bring along some of their old armour ???
                              Last edited by Silver; 15 February 2005, 20:31.

Comment

Working...
                              X