Steyr Telescopic Sight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steyr Telescopic Sight

How do you adjust the telescopic sight on the Steyr? How do you focus it as well?My corporal says its automatically focussed, is this correct?Any one got a book on it please?

Last edited by magister; 22 November 2003, 01:04.
    Air Corps Veteran

The steyr does not posess a Telescopic sight. If it did,its not your job to adjust it. To focus it you buy new glasses!
    When did your spelling get so poor?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Sorry about my spelling, I edited it and I hope its ok now.

What do you mean by saying its not a telescopic sight? Its on the top inside the carrying handle. Doh.

I dont need glasses by the way.

Answer the question someone or e mail me the answer. thanks
      Air Corps Veteran

Comment

How do you adjust the telescopic sight on the Steyr?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahh!
        sigpic
        Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
        My favourite moment was when the
        red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

What do you mean by saying its not a telescopic sight? Its on the top inside the carrying handle. Doh.

DOH is f*****g right. Your instructor will tell you all you need to know. And I'm not getting drawn into this telescopic sight debate with a shower of trainspotters again.
          sigpic

Comment

Trainspotters now,is it? Maybe you should tell him where to refill the gas cylinder then?

Comment

Yes. Remember the last debate? The sun is up now so any minute we'll have 200 knowalls translating the German for cocking handle into telescopic sight.
              sigpic

Comment

I dont remember any debate on this subject.Look, I am just asking a simple question! There is a telescopic sight on the steyrs in my unit,you say it cant be adjusted and now you say it isnt telescopic! Do you people really know the steyr well at all?[MOD: Edited foul language]
                I asked a civil question and I would really appreciate a civil answer.

[MOD: KEEP IT CIVIL PEOPLE]
                Air Corps Veteran

Comment

I dont remember any debate on this subject.Look, I am just asking a simple question! There is a telescopic sight on the steyrs in my unit,you say it cant be adjusted and now you say it isnt telescopic! Do you people really know the steyr well at all?[MOD: Edited foul language]
                  I asked a civil question and I would really appreciate a civil answer.

No
                  sigpic

Comment

Thank you for the input Groundhog.
                    Please do not respond to my queries again in such a patronising manner.

If anyone knows the answer to my question please respond. I am genuinely confused at this point. My corporal said hed get back to me but hasnt!HELP.
                    Air Corps Veteran

Comment

Magister-There was quite an extensive thread on this subject about a year ago.

A telescopic sight is a gunsight consisting of a telescope on a firearm for use as a sight. A telescopic sight permits the user to adjust the distance between the two lenses so that an object viewed at a given distance may be brought into focus.

The magnification, or power, at which a telescopic sight is operating at is a function of the focal length (inherent property of a lens) of the sights main (objective) lens and the focal length of the eyepiece lens employed.

The sight on the Steyr is not telescopic, in that there is no facility on the sight for the user to adjust the focus i.e. adjust the distance between the objective and the eyepiece lens.

The sight on the Steyr is referred to as an Optical Sight (i.e a sight that uses optics or lenses).
                      The magnification power of the Steyr optical lens is 1.5x.
                      The distance between the objective lens and the eyepiece lens in the steyr is factory set. This distance is calculated based on the focal length of the two lenses so that any object viewed through the sight is focused at the 'point of infinity'. This means that the target is always in focus regardless of its distance from the sight--unlike looking through a telescope where you would have to focus onto the target.

The optics section on the old leaving cert physics book will explain all.

There are three adjusting screws on the Styers. Two of them are for zeroing (adjusting the sights lateral and elevational position). The third one I am unsure of - it may be for finely adjusting the distance between the lenses or for filling the sight with inert gas. Anyone know for sure?

Comment

Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

The sight on the Steyr is not telescopic, in that there is no facility on the sight for the user to adjust the focus i.e. adjust the distance between the objective and the eyepiece lens.
                        FMJ - Telescopic sights generally don't have a focussing arrangement to compensate for the distance to the target - think for a minute just how stupid such a device would be, eg if you were hunting and had to stop for a minute before firing to focus the scope!

This is the definitition I received from an engineer at the company who make the sight:

All aiming scopes are 'telescopic' and therefore the AUG-scope too. You call an optical system consisting of an objective and an eyepiece with the focal points in coincidence afocal or telescopic.

- Technically the Steyr has a telescopic sight, but the DF call it an optical sight - which is therefore what it should be known as.

Comment

Anybody know what the first and last word on every page of the Steyr Manual is?

RESTRICTED
                          sigpic

Comment

It is not just the Defence forces who call it an optical sight...
                            The company who make it(who should know these things) in their official website say
                            The Steyr AUG A1 is a gas operated semi- and fully automatic assault rifle with locked actions, quick changeable barrel and integrated optical sight.

also
                            The Steyr AUG A2 is a gas operated semi- and fully automatic assault rifle with locked action, quick changeable barrel and integrated optical sight.

even in the native language site...

Das Steyr AUG A1 ist ein konventioneller Gasdrucklader mit starr verriegeltem Verschluss, einem schnell wechselbaren Lauf und integriertem Zielfernrohr. Es schießt aus geschlossener Verschlußposition.

The optical sight is clearly visible in this photo

Comment

Originally posted by Groundhog
                              Anybody know what the first and last word on every page of the Steyr Manual is?

RESTRICTED
                              You wont get out of this discussion as easy as that:D

Comment

Working...
                              X