FN MAG, time to go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stameen soldier
    has anybody actually brought the bren out on tactics?
    yes, but as there is no BFA for it you can only fire a shot at a time and then re-cock it, not very realistic when using it as a FSG, ended up that the 2ic (with a gustav) simulated the fire from the bren.
    You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

Replace the mag as the section fire support weapon with the Minimi (far calibre as the steyr and oesnt have the in-built stoppage of a mag, so you can keep the fire rate up) and keep the mag in Wpns platoon
      Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
      http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Comment

Yes but there was no bfa, no sling, no blanks and i had to carry it up the side of a hill. Bastards. There was no point even having it there. A styer with more rounds than anyone else and the alo up would have been a far more realistic way of simulating an lmg
        Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
        Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
        do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

Comment

Originally posted by Big Al
          yes, but as there is no BFA for it you can only fire a shot at a time and then re-cock it, not very realistic when using it as a FSG, ended up that the 2ic (with a gustav) simulated the fire from the bren.
          Is the main point of the BFA, not to protect those around the firer?

Gustav had a higher rate of fire anyway, could have been an short range LSW?

Comment

Having fired both, the mag is better, as for carring them, no thanks, but again the mag would be the one. For better to carry a belt than a box of mags. Should it be replaced? yes! with what? minimi would be nice or other machine gun of 5.56.
            Hour by hour resolve firmly, like a Roman and a man, to do what comes to hand with correct and natural dignity, and with humanity, independence, and justice. Allow your mind freedom from all other considerations. :wink:
            - Marcus Aurelius-Roman Emperor A.D. 121-180

Comment

I think the most we can hope for,in the short term is the LMG version of the steyr.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Why?
                If the Minimi is procured then its not unlikely that it will be issued to reserve battalion too, Minimis are fairly cheap as these things go and Diemaco C9s are even cheaper.
                "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

You all lamented the passing of the FN and its man stopping 7.62mm round. How quickly we forget and wish to introduce a 5.56mm round to the section FSG.

The bren would still be the preffered choice had it been converted to 7.62 ...but alas the army in their wisdom saw fit not to. Are we about to consign the last of the real machine guns in 7.62 to history merely because it isn't fashionable anymore or will theDF see sense and give the old gun a new lease of life .

Make no mistake the MAG is going to be around for a long timeyet...only question is have we the foresight to retain it.
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

GPMG or Minimi? I'll take the mag thanks! I know I'd be more more confident with 7.62 to protect me in a firefight. Also having each section armed with a weapon that can cut a man in half at >1000 metres is a real asset for the some unit tactics we use. Although you can feck off if ye think I'm carrying it!

Comment

Originally posted by Huggybear
                      GPMG or Minimi? I'll take the mag thanks! I know I'd be more more confident with 7.62 to protect me in a firefight. Also having each section armed with a weapon that can cut a man in half at >1000 metres is a real asset for the some unit tactics we use. Although you can feck off if ye think I'm carrying it!
                      You can put 10-20 rounds into a man sized target at ranges in excess of 1 Kilometre?

I am duly impressed with your abilities.

However, the main purpose of the section LMG is suppressive fire. As long as the person on the receiving end is unwilling to test the stopping power of his torso, the weapon is adequate. And who is ever going to want to find out what happens when a burst of automatic fire hits you in the chest, be it 12.7, 7.62 or 5.56 calibre which is incoming.

If a range of weaponry is effective at fulfilling the assigned function, it then breaks down into reliability and ease of use. 5.56 mm is lighter, allowing easier portability and more ammo to be carried, allowing it to be brought into position more quickly, and to lay down fire for longer.

so the Minimi or similar gets my vote.
                      Take these men and women for your example.
                      Like them, remember that posterity can only
                      be for the free; that freedom is the sure
                      possession of those who have the
                      courage to defend it.
                      Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
                      If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

As an Army cadet in 1990, aged 14! have to admet that I hovered over the ditch the bitch option before going the other way, gotta go with what you know.

Comment

I cant say i ever found the weight of the mag to be that much of a hindrance. I know its fairly bulky and all but get enough training with it and youll become one of of the sick freaks like me who volunteers to carry it on exercises
                          Religion is like a puddle thinking that the hole in the ground that it sits in is so perfect for it that some higher being must have created it

Comment

you're sick!
                            ya freak!
                            It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

I reckon ditch the bitch!
                              Keep it simple. The Steyr and Minimi both use the same round (unless I'm mistaken), 5.56 which is a lot handier on the ground when the weapons take rounds of same calibre. Which is why there was FN Rifle - GPMG, 7.62mm and of course Enfield - Bren, .303in.
                              Plus the Minimi is lighter, does the same job, provides covering fire for the section, lighter to carry, very reliable and like I said uses same round as Steyr Rifle.
                              (But the GPMG packs more of a punch... I don't fancy gettin shot by a 5.56 round pretty much either to be honest).
                              I think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by JAG
                                You can put 10-20 rounds into a man sized target at ranges in excess of 1 Kilometre?

I am duly impressed with your abilities.

He could be talking about the MAG in the SF role.

Anyway, he never said how many rounds he'd be firing in the first place. If you put a couple of hundred rounds down-range some are bound to hit the target.
                                "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Working...
                                X