FN MAG, time to go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FN MAG, time to go?

Missed you all, great to be back, love and lollipops etc.

The current GPMG has been in service now for about 40 years: she's big, heavy, not the most reliable weapon in the world and, quite frankly, old. But she does pack an awesome punch and is a handy cannon to have on the battlefield.
    So, should we get rid, or what?
    Ditch the bitch.
    24.24%
    We couldn't live without her.
    75.76%

The poll is expired.

Honestly i'd hate to see her go. Mostly cos i havent fired the gpmg yet(def doin it in may though). What alternatives are there? And how do they improve on the fn mag.
    Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
    Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
    do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

Comment

How much of the problems experienced with the current issue weapons are down to old age? The FN-MAG still seems to set the current standard for GPMGs - e.g. the Yanks replaced their M60s with them.

Would it be a simple matter of just buying new ones? - maybe with the updated accessory rails etc.

Comment

Is there anything on the market to replace it with?
        The light role - yes - eg Minimi
        But in the medium role at company level?

Comment

Coy and Plt support weapon its in a league of its own.

But in a section M249 For PDF and The steyr HBAR for the RDF, because it will facilitate quicker training.
          It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

maybe it should be moved to a platoon weapon, and introduce 2 minimis per section. still its a brilliant weapon at section level

Comment

We need to buy new Mags. Also we should buy linked rds rather than issuing loose and spending hours belting the bastards up before an SF shoot.
              sigpic
              Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
              My favourite moment was when the
              Originally posted by hedgehog
              red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

What about just replacing the worn parts i.e. the mechanism, split collars and gasplugs and adding sightrails as on the brit version AND SLINGS and using bandoliers so belts arent getting in the way when you have to move, this would also help noise discipline at night. Then give theese to the rdf for training and replace the pdf ones with shiny new ones. You,ve just upgraded the whole DF for a little over half the cost
                Factories dont burn themselves down, they need help from people like you and me.

Comment

I hated that split collar.

Is there not a redesigned GPMG that does not have these? Sure I read that somewhere.
                  It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

AGreed ...new guns ..problem solved.

magazine fed 5.56 weapons are not suitable for the roles carried out by the MAG currently.
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy
                      magazine fed 5.56 weapons are not suitable for the roles carried out by the MAG currently.
                      Is the magazine fed bit or the 5.56

because what about

J

Comment

Mag is an awsome wpn- it needs to be refurbished not replaced-
                        due to wear and tear we may end up with a situation where the sear disengages from the bent and the action goes foward on a cocked weapon causing a round to fire-
                        they should be taken out of service a few bob spent doing them up and then quickly brought back again
                        the mag is to the infantry what the alloulette is to the air corps

welcome back parts - nice to see another viking on here
                        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by jeebus
                          The Minimi can be belt fed or can use a M-16 magazine. I heard it had problems with the magazine though.

Comment

mag is in a leauge in which only the german mg3 can compete
                            we have a situation where the gpmgs we use for training are of very poor quality especialy the feed pawls get the old lee enfield action they are vintage and our brens are in much better condiction l
                            think for moderen light infantry sections they are too heavy and cause supply problems two different types of ammo , someone suggested the hbar styer but i wonder would this suffer from being too acccurate ie a very small beaten zone for effective suppressive fire problem the brits had with the l86 , also with the mythical reorg it would lead to problems for intigrated units having two different section weapons for rdf pdf
                            the minimi seems to be the way to go reliable lighter same calibre , wonder if its possiable to convert it to accept styer mags ? which would be larger though the m16 mag seems to be used only in emergencys
                            issuing 2 per section suggests 8 man section in two fire teams (4) the american system as apposed to the british system we have copied thats another debate
                            the gpmg should be retained at wpn plt level for company level fire support
                            "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Comment

Using a magazine for the M249 SAW is definitely not the preferred way to go, more of a "Charlie's in the wire" scenario - they are normally fed from clip-on 200 round drums.

We need to buy new Mags. Also we should buy linked rds rather than issuing loose and spending hours belting the bastards up before an SF shoot.
                              I'm all about eliminating waste and being conscious of taxpayers' spondulix but that is taking the piss.

The M240/GPMG/MAG/whatever you want to call it is an excellent weapon - that said, I think the US has the mix right, with the 240 being a Weapons Plt system and the SAW being issued to each fire team.
                              "Hello, Good Evening and Bollocks..."

Roger Mellie

Comment

Working...
                              X