X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clothing

rofl : v.good.

If it wasn't true it would be funny.

IMHO : with anything of this kind, the key to understanding is "follow the money"

People used to want the FCA allowance ... so things were slow.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

adds :

the only amendment to the previous system (for us, anyway ) was that the recruit actually has to visit the stores when it is open to sign for the kit

This solves the [ perceived by the PDF ] problem that the kit wasn't reaching the right people and that people weren't building up stocks.

the last point is a bone of contention at the moment [ B20 knows what I mean !!! ]

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim
      adds :

the only amendment to the previous system (for us, anyway ) was that the recruit actually has to visit the stores when it is open to sign for the kit

This solves the [ perceived by the PDF ] problem that the kit wasn't reaching the right people and that people weren't building up stocks.

the last point is a bone of contention at the moment [ B20 knows what I mean !!! ]

Thats not going to stop people building up stocks. Its goin to stop people getting everything they should be issued with. Only that i bought my rank markings and name tags i wouldn't have them. I mean come on. Are the rank markings REALLY in such short supply. Surely they can predict that a couple of months after cpl xxxx does his standards course or pte yyyyy does his cpls course then there going to need them.
      Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
      Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
      do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

Comment

Hmmm.

Storeman aren't allowed issue kit.

People are not supposed to "build up stocks".

The main problems with clothing are the lack of supply caused by lack of forward planning. The kit needed for recruits two years from now should be getting ordered now.

The IMS is shite. It's constantly crashing and is effectively stone age technology in computer terms.

The issue of kit has been over centralised.
        sigpic
        Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
        My favourite moment was when the
        red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

All correct GH, but the circular argument that the system is woeful

[ main problem being a complete lack of forward planning ]

leads to people trying to solve it in the only ways they can

what was the quote

"new soldiers talk tactics, experienced soldiers talk logistics "
          Last edited by trellheim; 11 March 2005, 13:55.

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim
            what was the quote

"new soldiers talk tactics, experienced soldiers talk logistics "
            Amateurs talk tactics, professionals talk logistics. Norman Schwarzkopf, I believe.
            sigpic

Comment

I just don't get it ... its not rocket science we are talking about here. Every corner shop manages to keeps its shelves full. Why after all these years can a small army like ours not manage what is a very small inventory. My granny owned a small childrens clothes store. I reckon if she was still alive she would do a better job with Army stores than what we have currently.

A department store like Arnotts holds a stock ten times larger than the COMPLETE Irish army and a hundred times more actual items. The staffing in Arnotts is only a FRACTION of the resources which the army devotes to the task. Nonetheless, when you go to buy something in Arnotts they will generally have it in stock ... and we all know what happens when you go to Clothing Stores to get issued with something.

Maybe it is time to outsource the management of clothing in the Army to professionals?

Comment

Originally posted by landmark
                Maybe it is time to outsource the management of clothing in the Army to professionals?
                That would involve removing PDF storemen from their cushy ruts which they have worked all these years to get into

*wonders if he just made the "Don't issue kit to this person, ever" list*

Comment

The question must be asked,is there any reason why stores management cannot be outsourced to civilians? If the Gear is made by civilians,why not let them issue it too?
                  Naturally some items still need to be issued by military staff,but normal clothing should not be one of these things.

I think I'm already on that list.....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

empty shelves are easier to count
                    no counting means more halfers
                    more halfers means more time to drive the taxi

its not just an RDF problem us PDF also suffer

the cen clothing in the Brugha must contain the largest collection of dunces and unhelpful people
                    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Your granny's cothes shop and Arnotts are completely different things, Landmark. Try going into Arnotts and asking for a specific type of shoe that they sold two years ago. They won't have it.

Civilians are part of the problem. The manufacturers are sending in clothing of the wrong design. For example, the "Elvis" DPM shirt should not happened. It was designed different from the prototype and mistakenly accepted by the DF.
                      sigpic

Comment

THe people who accepted it are to blame then.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Groundhog
                          Your granny's cothes shop and Arnotts are completely different things, Landmark. Try going into Arnotts and asking for a specific type of shoe that they sold two years ago. They won't have it.
                          Yeah my granny's clothes shop and Arnotts are nothing like an army stores ... that is exactly my point ... these shops work and meet the needs of their customers.

Try going into an army stores and ask to be issue a boot ... chances are:

(a) Its lunchtime, coffee break, loo break, holidays etc
                          (b) They are "busy"
                          (c) Boots are out of stock (and no idea when back in stock)
                          (d) You get issued but the boots fall apart
                          (e) They can't be bothered because you are RDF
                          etc

I agree with Goldie - bring in some civilians (e.g. a proper logistics company) to manage clothing stocks.

BTW talking about "grandfather shirts" and the DF accepting shoddy goods. That is still happening ... anybody get issued with a kit bag lately and notice that the zip breaks almost immediately? I wonder does whoever is in charge of purchasing uniform items know how to do this important task properly?

Comment

Originally posted by landmark
                            anybody get issued with a kit bag lately and notice that the zip breaks almost immediately? I wonder does whoever is in charge of purchasing uniform items know how to do this important task properly?
                            The straps are pretty dodgy too. Tend to break when you put anything more than a single uniform in it

Comment

I wish I HAD a kit bag.
                              It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

Working...
                              X