Footdrill Manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Footdrill Manual

I managed to get my hands on a very tattered and old footdrill manual, marked 1956. Its Irish army issue. Just wondering, is that still the bible for footdrill or was there a later more up to date version released?

Theres some curious things in it, such as mark time.. I always thought was Gradaigh Foibh, whereas the manual says Bulaigh Am is the command.

Theres lots of other interesting and clarifying things in there too!

Bualaigh Airm ahhh we're back to this. Before we go farther - it's a hanging offence. No matter what people from 7 Bn say.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Buailig am is only possible with steel tipped boots,as was the fashion in 1950s ireland...

there is no am to bualadh these days...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Well, If it was good enought for my father (rest his soul) its good enought for me
        it will be long, it will be hard, and there will be no withdrawl
        Winston churchill

Comment

What do we say?
          It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

Im sticking with Gradaigh Foibh anyway, Id be the only one in my Battalion going by the manual if I changed.

I can see how people can interpret things in different way though. Its not written in absolutely clear language in some places. Ive spotted that theres no half step forward mentioned when dressing with intervals, yet you need to be able to see the chin of the person 2nd away to you in the rank.. so really a small step forward is the way to do that right.

Its a good read though!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bam Bam
              What do we say?
              Ask kevin
              it will be long, it will be hard, and there will be no withdrawl
              Winston churchill

Comment

On the Standards course last year in the south we were taught the command "Fo dheis/chle i dreas/line" instead of "ag iompo" when turning left or right. But as soon as we started training on weeknights again we were given a direct order not to use the 'new' orders.

We were told to stick to the manual..... Of course they never thought I'd get my hands on the manual....

So I presented my findings to my superiors who then dragged their feet for a couple of months and now are finally realising that 'ag iompo' along with other commands do not exist.

Where did 'ag iompo' come from and how are we still using it when the foot drill manual was printed nearly 50 years ago?
                "I'm like Bush, I see the world more like checkers than chess." - Dennis Miller

Comment

Where did 'ag iompo' come from and how are we still using it when the foot drill manual was printed nearly 50 years ago?

Custom and practice.

Ive spotted that theres no half step forward mentioned when dressing with intervals, yet you need to be able to see the chin of the person 2nd away to you in the rank.. so really a small step forward is the way to do that right.

Wrong

Theres some curious things in it, such as mark time.. I always thought was Gradaigh Foibh, whereas the manual says Bulaigh Am is the command.

Bulaigh Am went out with Pike Drill.

sigpic
                  Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
                  My favourite moment was when the
                  Originally posted by hedgehog
                  red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Bulaigh Am = Mark Time
                    Gradaigh Foibh = means what (direct translation please, I know what I'm supposed to do when I hear the order)
                    Last edited by Bravo20; 17 March 2005, 12:00. Reason: error

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20
                      Bulaigh Am = Mark Time
                      Gradaigh Foibh = means what (direct translation please, I know what I'm supposed to do when I hear the order)
                      ...= measure beneath you (march on the spot).

Comment

Originally posted by Groundhog

Custom and practice.

Ive spotted that theres no half step forward mentioned when dressing with intervals, yet you need to be able to see the chin of the person 2nd away to you in the rank.. so really a small step forward is the way to do that right.

Wrong

Bulaigh Am went out with Pike Drill.

So much for the manual is always right! Any chance of elaborating on your "Wrong" comment? Id love to see ya standing in front of your CS if he was reading from the manual and saying..... WRONG.

Comment

got a copy of the footdrill manual recently and it gave me a good laugh . if you went exactly by it you would be doing some weird things and strange commands which strictly speaking would be 100% correct by the book it is in serious need of updating allright a rumour i heard said it will be in the next few years.
                          "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Comment

“BUALIG – AM”. = Mark Time
                            I don't Know Wher "Radaigh Foimh" Came from. But its not in any foot drill manual I've seen.

“DEAS (CLÉ) (THART) —IOMPAÍG” "(Right (Left) (About) TURN"

“THART – IOMPAÍG” (“ABOUT—TURN.”) on the March (Yes 21bn not "Iompaíg Thart")

“LE HEATRAIMH, Ó DHEIS DEASAÍG”

(“WITH INTERVALS RIGHT—DRESS”)

The right hand man will stand fast; the remainder will turn their

heads to the right and extend their right arms, hands clenched, and

backs of the hands upwards, knuckles touching the point of the

shoulder of the man to their right. At the same time they will take

up their dressing by moving with short, quick steps, until the lower

part of the face of the second man to the right is visible. Care must

be taken to keep the body and head erect, shoulders square to the

front, moving backward or forward with the feet and not by

swaying of the body.

I've 2 different copies and The Manual hasn't been updated. Apart from the Photo's at the Rear being changed for the new uniform some time in the 60's.

Every unit has different ways of doing it that are not exactly the way it is in the manual...

Last edited by Bailer; 18 March 2005, 23:51.
                            Friends Come and Go, but Enemies accumulate!!

Comment

Some British Army drill movements.
                              Form up in 3 ranks

Parade/Company/Squad -Soldiers brace up-

Parade shun- soldiers come to attention-

Parade will turn to the right / left in three`s. Right / Left turn.

Parade will advance / retire About turn. Retire: parade turns in opposite direction from instructor. Advance: parade faces in the original direction ie facing instructor.

By the right - right hand marker sets the pace- quick march ( left right left right etc )

All instructions are called as the left heel strikes the ground.

Comment

Working...
                              X