night vision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• night vision

Can someone tell me what nve's the Defence forces use?
    Last edited by Guest; 8 September 2004, 19:42.

Thales Kite - Weapon sight

Thales Lucie - Head mounted

Thales Sophie - Handheld thermal camera

There are some older types too, not sure of the designations, but the three above are the newest lot.

Comment

Thank's YJ,

THALES WINS CONTRACT FOR NIGHT VISION SIGHTS

Thales Optics, based in St Asaph North Wales, has been awarded two contracts to supply the Irish Defence Forces with the latest generation night vision equipment. The orders, worth in excess of £1 million, were won in competition with other leading international companies, on the basis of Thales' overall technical performance and compliance with customer requirements.

The first order was for the SOPHIE Thermal Imager that will be used for a wide range of surveillance applications including hand held and platform roles. SOPHIE is a hand-held thermal imager that operates in the 8 - 2 micron waveband. The system is designed for target detection, reconnaissance and identification by viewing the scene observed, both by day and night under poor climatic conditions. Designed for ease of use and fast implementation, the imager can be used both as portable thermal binoculars as well as a thermal camera for integration into existing platforms.

Under the second contract, Thales' LUCIE night vision goggles (NVG) along with a range of ancillaries, will be delivered for use primarily as a night driving aid. LUCIE is multi-purpose NVG, which can be supplied with a range of Image Intensified (II) tube options. LUCIE offers x1 magnification and has a wide 50° field of view and the option for fitting a x4 adapter lens.

In addition to LUCIE a small quantity of MAGALIE lens systems were also included. MAGALIE is a x6 magnified lens, which will further increase the range performance of LUCIE.

Rob Thompson, managing director of the Thales Optics site at St Asaph, said of the announcement: "This significant contract demonstrates Thales' unique ability to operate a 'multi-domestic policy', ensuring that the right equipment can be provided from within Thales companies globally."

Comment

Do our infantry units not operate with NVE's? I thought they were deployed with units in Liberia??
        "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
        "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Silly question. How much do night vision goggles cost anyway?
          Take these men and women for your example.
          Like them, remember that posterity can only
          be for the free; that freedom is the sure
          possession of those who have the
          courage to defend it.
          Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
          If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

The lucie's are a couple of grand a shot, they are brand spanking new the German's are only getting them now themselves:-patriot:

Comment

Morpheus, why would the infantry not use NVE if they were available? Also, do you not think it is possible that the DF has enough NVE for the units in Ireland AND in Liberia?
              "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Sorry FM,

I was reading the post on THales, and it gave me the impression that only a small number of NVE units were being purchased and mainly for Transport uses.

What I meant was that surely more than this were being purchased and were they being deployed to Liberia.

I would assume that a small number would be retained for training purposes, I dont know anything about the DF use of NVE and was under the impression that it is new equipment that the DF have only recently begun to deploy.
                "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

I've used all of them. The Lucies are great once you get over the Pandora Now photos and actually start working with them.

Also, the older ones aren't bad either.
                  "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim
                    I've used all of them. The Lucies are great once you get over the pandora Now photos and actually start working with them.

Also, the older ones aren't bad either.

the pandora, wtf is that?

Comment

Google first next time, OK ?

Les États-Unis assurent une présence militaire dans les deux tiers des pays de la planète et certaines de ces nations en ont assez. Un groupe terroriste se faisant appeler les Ingénieurs en a assez et lance un ultimatum mortel, la Blacklist : une série d'attaques de grande envergure lancées contre des intérêts américains.
                      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

saw the lucie and kite sight on recruit camp. kite sight adds a fair bit of weight to the steyr as you'd expect.

Comment

I did a sniper course in 1983 (seems like yesterday) we were trained in the use of NVE the sight was called the IWS. It was large and heavy. About twice the size of a Kite sight.

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim
                            Google first next time, OK ?

http://www.splintercell.com/us/home....=flash#finanim
                            Well I could have if you had the name right, it's pandora tommorow not pandora now:p

Comment

Here's a previous thread on NVE:

Link

Some place in the UK was selling Kite sights for Stg£4400.
                              "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Working...
                              X