Marketing the reserve Part 1 [ Attractors,Drivers and negatives ]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marketing the reserve Part 1 [ Attractors,Drivers and negatives ]

Starting a thread here , first of several .

Several of the ideas have been done out before but they are of their time, so I want to see what people are thinking NOW

I will be starting others on

1:regional recruiting [ problems and advantages]
    2: Attrition [ Why do we have such a high loss rate ? ]

so hold off on those problems

There are different draws to the Reserve... What do you think they are ?

e.g.

all the local lads are in it
    all me mates joined
    it's what you do at 16/17
    want to serve the State
    Guns ! Guns ! Guns !
    looking for something to do
    Starter for the PDF
    [ For women : ] Wahey... tons of men

No whinging about

it would be better if [ x,y, and z pet suggestions ] were implemented.

The other side of the coin :
    Why DON'T people want to join ?

e.g.

that's the Free Clothes Association [ ha-ha , haven't heard that one before]
    bunch of sandbags [ ditto ]
    I work to pay my mobile phone bill.. haven't got time for that
    Dublin social life is expensive and takes up all my time [ insert own locality as appropriate, but life in the Pale is definitely expensive, lads ]
    What , people shouting at me ?
    Can't stand authority
    Am lifelong Indymedia subscriber/member of Communist Party
    what ? never heard of you , we have an army now ?
    I'm 28... they're all children in that, aren't they ? why should I join to play with kids [ if you're trying to attract a more experienced person ]
    [ for women ] Girls ? Army ? Broken fingernails ... ewwwwww

just a few pointers and food for thought . I'd like feedback.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

I joined because a friend of mine told me all the things he had done in the reserve, tactica and what not, and I wasn't really doing anything on Thursdays anyway. And I like the fact I'n doing something positive for the state.

People don't join because they don't know what we do, and aren't there specials on drinks in barcode in town on thursdays.
    It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

Originally posted by Bam Bam
      I joined because a friend of mine told me all the things he had done in the reserve, tactica and what not, and I wasn't really doing anything on Thursdays anyway. And I like the fact I'n doing something positive for the state.

People don't join because they don't know what we do, and aren't there specials on drinks in barcode in town on thursdays.
      And they arent willing to spend a few months hanging around doing **** all waiting for paperwork to come through.
      Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body,
      but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other,
      body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming........................
      WOO HOO - What a Ride!" :tri:

Comment

Completely valid, but I venture to say that's not a Marketing negative. That's a problem when you're trying to join, although if people talk to other potential recruits, it could be viewed as a negative.

Comment

A friend of mine told me about it. Before that I had no intrest or knowledge of the defence forces and now I'm seriously considering a career in it. The attrition rate is crazy and needs to be worked on, on my recruit camp we had 3 recruit plns, thats a full coy!! now thers four of us left from that class
          Factories dont burn themselves down, they need help from people like you and me.

Comment

I've always thought that a good way to advertise the reserve would be....

Issue each rdf member PT gear, not the blue monstrosity with the fall down pants but simple cotton t-shirts and normal jog pants, coloured grey with ARMY RESERVE or NAVAL RESERVE written across the front and back.

So when we're out for a jog we'll be advertising for the reserve, and we'll also have kit for PT or a footy game when on camp.

What do you think?
            It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

I want to keep the thread focused on the stated topic, not on pet suggestions as mentioned, though thanks.

I WILL be starting another thread soon on How to Attract Recruits - possible improvements, but for now it's a gathering exercise.

Comment

TV ads probably got a few recruits in, but they only ever run when the PDF are recruiting. People don't know that the RDF recruit year-round

Comment

I was attracted because of the tv ads for the PDF. I didnt even know there was an FCA/RDF at the time and looked at the official military website and found very little information. I took the initiative and asked around which is how i ended up joining. The point is marketing the RDF along the lines of PDF, a challenge both physically and mentally this really attracted a couple of people i know who are still active members. Marketing it as a social thing cant be good you get people with less commitment and that follows on into the retantion issue.

Comment

I joined because I heard about all the wonderful training.

I transferred because I heard about all the wonderful training.

I left because the FCA is a social club. And because the people I listened to turned out to be full of shit.

The wheel also turns the other way- there are plenty of people who join and stay for the social club, and leave because they can't take the alleged discipline. IMO the members of an allegedly military organisation should not have, as their primary goal, getting pissed.

Mantra Begins:

IT IS NOT A SOCIAL CLUB. IT IS NOT A SOCIAL CLUB. IT IS NOT A SOCIAL CLUB. IT IS NOT A SOCIAL CLUB. IT IS NOT A SOCIAL CLUB. IT IS NOT A SOCIAL CLUB. IT IS NOT A SOCIAL CLUB. IT IS NOT A SOCIAL CLUB. IT IS NOT A SOCIAL CLUB. IT IS NOT A SOCIAL CLUB. IT IS NOT A SOCIAL CLUB. IT IS NOT A SOCIAL CLUB. IT IS NOT A SOCIAL CLUB. IT IS NOT A SOCIAL CLUB. IT IS NOT A SOCIAL CLUB. IT IS NOT A SOCIAL CLUB. IT IS NOT A SOCIAL CLUB. IT IS NOT A SOCIAL CLUB. IT IS NOT A SOCIAL CLUB. IT IS NOT A SOCIAL CLUB.

ONE WEEKEND A MONTH- ONE MONTH A YEAR.ONE WEEKEND A MONTH- ONE MONTH A YEAR.ONE WEEKEND A MONTH- ONE MONTH A YEAR.ONE WEEKEND A MONTH- ONE MONTH A YEAR.ONE WEEKEND A MONTH- ONE MONTH A YEAR.ONE WEEKEND A MONTH- ONE MONTH A YEAR.ONE WEEKEND A MONTH- ONE MONTH A YEAR.ONE WEEKEND A MONTH- ONE MONTH A YEAR.ONE WEEKEND A MONTH- ONE MONTH A YEAR.ONE WEEKEND A MONTH- ONE MONTH A YEAR.ONE WEEKEND A MONTH- ONE MONTH A YEAR.

Mantra ends.
                    Take these men and women for your example.
                    Like them, remember that posterity can only
                    be for the free; that freedom is the sure
                    possession of those who have the
                    courage to defend it.
                    Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
                    If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

The public image of the reserve is the problem. We are look at as a bit of a joke or a drinking club. The entire image needs a make over. The way things are done needs to be changed. The previous thread on How Things Work in Organisations like the FCA is a good starting point to address how things need changing. People giving up one night a week is grand, but thats only a 2 hour thing in a Coy sized unit. Would a Battalion Training weekend once a month followed by a brigade sized (or more) exersive once a year help to hold peoples intrest? Such weekends could form up recruit platoons and build some sort of unit pride which seems to be lacking in many companys I know of. If you start with recruits and give them a bond with each other it may help to hold numbers later down the line.
                      One big way the reserve looses people is when those people go to college and simply have no time or loose interest. Why can't we have Coy sized units in colleges that would allow people to continue training and possibly prepare these people(who will have degrees at the end of college) for officers courses/senior NCO courses that would benifit their home units with the training and degrees they have recieved in college.

I know this is a bit off topic and makes suggestions which were not asked for but I think this type of discussion is needed if the Reserve is to get a new lease of life.

Odin
                      What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Im sorry for not sticking to your question trellheim but from what i can see the problem is not recruiting. We had about 40 last September. Its holding on to them down to about 10 now.
                        Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body,
                        but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other,
                        body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming........................
                        WOO HOO - What a Ride!" :tri:

Comment

Originally posted by How Ya Doin?
                          Im sorry for not sticking to your question trellheim but from what i can see the problem is not recruiting. We had about 40 last September. Its holding on to them down to about 10 now.
                          But those 40 quickly disappeared. Within a month we were down to 20. A few failed their medicals and 2/3 have disappeared (possibly because of Leaving Cert). You will always get people coming up to see what is going on with no intention of joining. We kept most of those who showed a genuine interest.

Comment

Thanks for replying people, keep it coming... it's a discussion thread and I'll try and keep it on-track

Like I said, when I open up the next threads on Attrition we'll talk about that.

Another point :
                            South Dublin, for example has a terrible problem recruiting . From comments on the board and elsewhere, there seems to be a waiting list in some areas of the country.

Why the difference ?

Comment

Lifestyle is be a major reason in south dublin,

Employment is another, of the 40 in my recruit pln who passed out in 1991 12 were unemployed and trying to use it as a gateway to either the PDF or a security job.

Recruitment in schools is a double edged sword I think, its a pool of people but encourages "the kiddie" preception

The organistaion has a historically bad name, when I joined my cousins from Kerry (I know) were all ex members who had lovely boots for the farm and "a grand big coat for the winter", and assumed that I joined for the boots too

Lack of knowledge, I have seen people present themselves at the barracks without knowing what exactly they are getting themselves in for.

Lack of commitment, if training was compulsory then less would probably join but it would cut number of drop outs
                              You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

Working...
                              X