X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Managing Retention in the TA"
    An Aide Memoire on Unit & Sub-Unit Retention

Comment

• I like the line "Allow leaders to be leaders". could it work here?!?
      What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

• I think the only way that the reserve could recruit and retain reservists is
        A ) rotate cadre staff and bring in new younger cadre ncos with fresh ideas and get rid of some of the old dinasaurs who havent seen a GPMG since 1976 and there are many.
        B ) Bring in alternative training from time to time and not just corp training during the training year
        ie in some units the same training at the same time without change every year.
        C ) rdf leaders be leaders and lead by example and show civvies and pdf that your fit to fight

Comment

• Good. Sorry I haven't had time to come back to this thread in a while. I do promise to put together some conclusions from comments.
          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Complete equipment issue on day 1, replaced as necessary.
            One paid weekend a month.
            One paid month a year.
            Paid training nights.
            Challenging & achievable training and targets.
            Liability for compulsory overseas service.
            Instruction & training by regular soldiers, regularly rotated/provided by the BTC.
            Fcuk drill. Fcukit and dammit to hell.
            Annual retention bounty for achieving individual requirements.

Copy the TA.
            Take these men and women for your example.
            Like them, remember that posterity can only
            be for the free; that freedom is the sure
            possession of those who have the
            courage to defend it.
            Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
            If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

• Instruction & training by regular soldiers, regularly rotated/provided by the BTC
              Spot on.

JAG, if you were given the chance to change the system, would you, even though your gone?

Comment

• Jag I agree with everything you say except for 1 point...you cannot get rid of drill...just because the TA did it does not mean its right.

Comment

• Which of the communications media would it be worth advertising in ?

1.For the entire RDF ?
                  2.For local units ?

How do other organizations do this ?
                  "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Word of mouth. Alot of people haven't heard of organisations like OoM, SJA, Civil Defence, RDF etc.

Its gonna need more than a few ads in the Northside People.

Comment

• Go to schools and colleges, power point presentations, national media, local media....bombard the public with information on all aspects of the NEW RDF...

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim
                        Which of the communications media would it be worth advertising in ?

1.For the entire RDF ?
                        2.For local units ?

How do other organizations do this ?

TV ad campaigns and dedicated OFFICIAL unit websites and posters are the way to go. Seeing as most people are recruited when they are in school or college, a poster in the school would help out, also a stand for each local unit in the ilcal uni or IT for their clubs and soc day would yeild a lot of recruits.
                        Blog

WHAT FLIES DIES

Comment

• Originally posted by ackack
                          also a stand for each local unit in the ilcal uni or IT for their clubs and soc day would yeild a lot of recruits.
                          Been doing it for a while. Unfortunately students have a lot of societies and clubs to choose from, and the Reserve is not a popular one.....

You would be surprised how few join up, especially when the Barracks is more than a few minutes walk away.

Comment

• Originally posted by Docman
                            You would be surprised how few join up, especially when the Barracks is more than a few minutes walk away.
                            My company (now a platoon (post-reorg)), never had a problem getting people who were interested in joining, the problem is getting them in and keeping them.

The problem with getting them in is mainly time:
                            Paper work is very repetative (same questions asked multiple times)

The security clearance has to be back before the audiogram is organised (i've seen a case where it took 6 months). It now goes via the Brigade Intelligence Officer. Offically the potential recruit should not be on DF property / sitting in on lessons untill the security clearance is back.

The audiogram has to be done before the medical, there are very limited places.

A strict list of personnel qualified to do the medicals has been issued.

Then once attested, wait a number of weeks for the army number to come back. Then longer to eventually get a uniform.

The link I posted above for improving retention in the TA has many excellent ideas.

Comment

• On the question of retention, this might be useful:

"Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV
                                The security clearance has to be back before the audiogram is organised (i've seen a case where it took 6 months). It now goes via the Brigade Intelligence Officer. Offically the potential recruit should not be on DF property / sitting in on lessons untill the security clearance is back.
                                I'd check those procedures again. Security clearances tend to be the last thing we get, everything else already having been completed....

Comment

Working...
                                X