Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Info on Driving Course

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Info on Driving Course

    Does anybody know what the story is with the Driving Course in the 20th Bn? I put my name down for it 2 months ago and have heard absolutley nothing back. Typical PDF attitudse to the RDF.

  • #2
    Why don't you ask someone in your own unit?
    How is it a typical PDF attitude?
    Are there two "L"s in troll?
    Support the Search Function.

    Comment


    • #3
      Since when have RDF infantry Battalions started running driving courses?


      Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Goldie fish
        Since when have RDF infantry Battalions started running driving courses?
        'Tis possible that they have gotten some PDF staff who are qualified driving instructors to
        conduct the course. OR, but more of a rarer breed, they have their own personnel who
        are DF qualified driving instructors....
        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

        Comment


        • #5
          or the 20bn could just be sending some bodies over to the 11s&t to do a course?
          You're even dumber than I tell people

          You might have been infected but you never were a bore

          Comment


          • #6
            Info/experiences on driving courses would be great!
            are they 1/2 week intensive or over a few weekends?
            min reqs.?

            Comment


            • #7
              The last driving course that I heard of they spent a week learning the rules of the road, because just as they were about to start the "driving bit" of the course, they were told the syllabus had changed. Anyone on the course was then asked to attent 11 S&T parade nights for driving training.

              Comment


              • #8
                a: It's not run by 20 Bn
                b: If we knew what was happening we'd tell you.
                Names were requested to be submitted; they were submitted.
                We've asked about what's happening with it. . No smoke signals as yet.

                There is a change this year in the approach but we're not yet certain how it's going to pan out
                "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

                "No, they're trying to fly the tank"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Handiest job would just to attach to a tpt unit and do the course with them. Best of both worlds.
                  Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
                  Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
                  do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by happeninMyLv
                    Handiest job would just to attach to a tpt unit and do the course with them. Best of both worlds.
                    Somebody made a valid point an another thread before - on the subject of someone
                    wanting to attach to a Dublin unit because of work/college committments. Why should
                    a unit invest time and effort, courses, etc, in someone who they know won't be in there
                    for the long haul...?
                    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It is proberly easier for NCOs & officers to parade with another unit, they can add to the unit (from the units perspective- eg teaching lessons), while a private MAY be seen as "just another mouth to feed". In my opinion, it should be judged on a case by case basis. The person attached shouldn't take up places on courses unless the unit has problems filling them.

                      The main thing is that it allows the individual to stay on the effective list, getting grat, going on camp, and keeping up to speed.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by DeV
                        It is proberly easier for NCOs & officers to parade with another unit, they can add to the unit (from the units perspective- eg teaching lessons), while a private MAY be seen as "just another mouth to feed". In my opinion, it should be judged on a case by case basis. The person attached shouldn't take up places on courses unless the unit has problems filling them.

                        The main thing is that it allows the individual to stay on the effective list, getting grat, going on camp, and keeping up to speed.
                        Agree with all of the above, Dev.......
                        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Truck Driver
                          Somebody made a valid point an another thread before - on the subject of someone
                          wanting to attach to a Dublin unit because of work/college committments. Why should
                          a unit invest time and effort, courses, etc, in someone who they know won't be in there
                          for the long haul...?
                          True.But if you treat them well they might always transfer in the end. Thats probably whats taking me so long(I went down the attachment route). But i am training recruits and helping out where ever i can with them so i like to think i'm earning my 154. But i can see your point. I would be wary too. I can honestly say though that they never made it seem like i wasn't welcome to go on courses. Quite the opposite in fact.
                          Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
                          Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
                          do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Speaking from experience it is a very difficult thing to do, to get non S&T personnel on a driving course. Having been on several such camps as an instructor, I have only seen ONE non S&T reservist taken on a tpt course. And he failed. However, I have been on a driving camp where as students we had two PDF learners... and I have to admit there were no problems at all. It was of course all very underhand and the only reason they were on an RDF driving course was because they failed the test on the PDF course and were dropped into our course unannounced because we had the testers available... and guess what... they failed again, both of them, wheras all RDF passed. Almost unbelievable stuff, but I speak the truth.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X