Irish PV 1110 guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish PV 1110 guns

What happened to the Irish Army's 90 plus Swedish-made PV 111 anti-tank recl. rifles/guns? Were they handed over to the FCA (Army Reserve) infantry units or were they sold off, e.g. to another army? And were PV1110s ever deployed with Irish UNIFIL battalions in Lebanon?

The Bofors 90mm where used in the Leb, don't know the answers to the other questions though

Comment

they were withdrawn from service as they where deemed obsolete 1,too expensive to fire 2,too heavy to manouvere 3,prone too maintence problems 4,lack of penetrating power against modern mbt's .they ended up in clancy bks where they stayed for a few years till its closure after that its unknown but i suspect they met with the cutting torch and were decomissioned and sold as scrap.
      The men work well under constant supervision and cornered like rats in a trap

Comment

can anyone post a pic of one?
        The trick to pet names is a combination of affectionate nouns. Honeybun. Sugarpie. Kittentits.

Comment

Comment

They were 90mm , recoiless rifle , saw them fired a few times. when they fired the smoke/flash signature was very big and so would invite rapid enemy supressing fire. Saw them fired at night too in the Glen and the flash lit the the position and was a dead giveaway.Also techie's post above is on the ball. I think they were bought at the same time as the 84mm recoilless rifle and were intended to be the Inf. Batt. Support Coy A/T Platoon weapon( 6 per Inf Batt) Nice cartridge case if you could mingy one.
            Last edited by Gunner Who?; 11 May 2005, 21:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunner Who?
              Nice cartridge case if you could mingy one.

Jammy GIT

Comment

GroundHog is the expert on the 90mm so I believe!
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

did he fire it?

Comment

yep! and was damn good at it as well so I believe!
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Did the spotting rifle fire a standard 7.62 or was it something else?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

7.62mm. I last saw the weapons in about 1998...when were they actaully retired.

According to Brasseys anti Tank weapons,Ireland and sweden were the only operators of the guns.

Comment

I passed a "pram" in fort Davis recently...reminded me of the 90.....Was that just an irish idea or did the swedes use them too?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Hi there
                            Goldie, are you talking about the steel trolley supposedly used for the carriage of the "84"? We had one 84 in store in the Don armoury and I doubt if it has ever been fired. The trolley was used to carry turf, in the days when the Don got a lorryload of turf and the fire picquet had to go around starting and sustaining fires instoves and grates around camp. God, when I think of it...!
                            All the best
                            GttC

Comment

Given that the prams were originally designed to carry the vivkers machine gun or mortars during the war...before the arrival of the bren carriers...it mut be the longest surviving bit of kit in the army.

Comment

Working...
                              X