Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military Skills Competition

[MOD: Split from "All Army 2005"]

On a military skill slevel and probably seperate from the shooting a section in attack competition should be introduced on a brigade level and run into an allarmy level as this would be a further indication of military skills. Afterall this is the basic entry level that all soldiers should be able to attain before leading on to Corps skills.

Maybe with the introduction of the BTCs this might become an eventuality.

The standard of plates shooting has improved but it must be said the level of Rifle marksmanship has fallen of with the introduction of the Steyr. I accept that the rifle doesn't allow for the same degree of accuracy as sy the FN due to its configuration of sights .

Also I have to say that there is a notable absence of females in any great quantity in the shooting competitions.Surely there are more females out there that would like to prove their prowess with the weapons?

Talking to some people here I get the impression that shooting is elitest amongst some units and some individuals don't even try out for teams because of this.!

Should say the falling plates revert back to a certain amount of NCOs per team or should it remain as it currently stands?

Should officers be allowed to run as part of falling plates?

Should there be seperate teams for enlisted personnel versus NCOs and officers?

Would these make any great difference to the level of competition in the events as it would be possible for two teams from the same unit to compete against each other?

Thoughts please!
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

A section in attack competition is an excellent idea. Any thoughts on how it would work?For instance, would each team fight against each other, or against a single OPFOR team? How could it be scored? Would budgets be improved so as to enable units practice this in advance?

(Im not assuming hpt has all the answers already- though if you do it'd be nice- but perhaps my questions would get people thinking)
    "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

The army in the past ran a section in attack competition and it was marked on Drills,Camoflage and concealment and personal administration. Given that a section will nominally only attack something it outnumbers by three to one ..enemy would be a nominal force.

Adherence to proven tactics...command and control,inititave would be other factors in the marking process. its all been done before...Remember time would not be a factor as if it works it dosen't mater how long it takes.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Well if there have been section in attack competitions in the past there shouldnt be too many problems. I was unaware of this.

As for females on teams...i think that as the number of females within the DF increases, eventually there will be female representation. Perhaps it is a case of a lack of experience. (Im only guessing!)If it is, then in time there will be greater representation.

what about seperate competitions for officers and other ranks?

Comment

The PDF had / has a Pln Attack Competition.

Up untill Foot & Mouth, Eastern Command ran a very successfull and challenging "Volkswagen" or Military Skills Competition. An officer & sergeant did a different part of the competition including the saab scania and map reading.

JD, First Aid, Fire Control Orders, weapons knowledge, navigation, etc

Falling Plates with rifle (x6)
          Falling Plates with LMG (x2)

Comment

the army used to have a section in attack comp but i think it only ran for a year or two till the pln in attack comp was launched. basically it covered sec admin in prep for advance to contact, through engaging the enemy to reorg afterwards . all aspects were judged including the time taken , there was a time limit but cant rem what it was
            Anyone need a spleen ?

Comment

What happened to the Volkwagon? Can't really lay the blame for that on F&M.

Take these men and women for your example.
              Like them, remember that posterity can only
              be for the free; that freedom is the sure
              possession of those who have the
              courage to defend it.
              Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
              If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

A Platoon in attack would probably beyond the remit of smaller units and would require too great an input and consume far to many resources.

If tthe RDF were to head down this road ...start simple and work up!

Comment

We have had skills comps for a few years with events covering every aspect of training. Only at Bn level though.

Comment

Seiously, what happened? The Volkswagon stopped and just never started again?
                    Take these men and women for your example.
                    Like them, remember that posterity can only
                    be for the free; that freedom is the sure
                    possession of those who have the
                    courage to defend it.
                    Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
                    If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV
                      The PDF had / has a Pln Attack Competition.

Up untill Foot & Mouth, Eastern Command ran a very successfull and challenging "Volkswagen" or Military Skills Competition. An officer & sergeant did a different part of the competition including the saab scania and map reading.

JD, First Aid, Fire Control Orders, weapons knowledge, navigation, etc

Falling Plates with rifle (x6)
                      Falling Plates with LMG (x2)
                      The south did similar, I think last year was the end of it due to the re-org but I might be wrong.
                      It was dress&drill, forced march, medical test, comms test, engineers test(mines and the like) falling plates, grenade throwing, quiz and something im forgetting.
                      Docman help?
                      Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

The last year of the Volkswagen was the year before F&M, it was cancelled the following year as a precaution.

That was used as an excuse, as well as that corps units were spending too long training for it

Comment

Originally posted by Bosco
                          The south did similar, I think last year was the end of it due to the re-org but I might be wrong.
                          It was dress&drill, forced march, medical test, comms test, engineers test(mines and the like) falling plates, grenade throwing, quiz and something im forgetting.
                          Docman help?
                          The PP Barry Cup

Comment

Originally posted by stameen soldier
                            The PP Barry Cup
                            Yeah and the thing I was forgetting was the fire drill though two years ago it wasn't on it.
                            Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

I think a section in attack comp would be a good idea , done with TESS it could be very realistic. platoon attacks would be abit much for corps units, it would encorage leadership, fitness, teamwork unit morale.
                              might be a good thing for those who are unable to get a place on shooting teams
                              "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Comment

Working...
                              X