No announcement yet.

Bren Gun Characteristics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joshua..save your energy..think of what you are trying to do...

Explaining to a PA that he is wrong....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Brens and mags thats us......had the mag mounted on the aml for years now but still obliged to teach the Bren as part of the sylabuss and now to confuse things even further the ground mag has been introduced.

Anybody notice how 'dirty' the current batch of .303 is ...smoke every where ....firers face and hands manky after firing....thats cos it come s fromm.....wait for it Pakistan......DOD got a good deal on the last load of 25pdr ammo ..threw in the last few crates of .303 bren ammo free......I suppose You all did know that .303 rifle and machine gun ammunition are different!
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I watching Bad Lads Army last night. They were firing the old Bren on blank on automatic. Anyone know what gadget they were using to help the recock along ?

Actually now I think about it they had the straight mags on them , that means it was a 7.62 conversion am I right ?
        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim
          Actually now I think about it they had the straight mags on them , that means it was a 7.62 conversion am I right ?
          Correctamundo.
          "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Hi all
            The Bren,eh? A delight to fire but a pain in the hole to carry around, until the GPMG came along...there must be millions of them still around, especially in India/Pakistan.There's probably going to be one still firing 100 years after the first one was made. Wasn't there at least one "kill" of a Skyhawk or a Dagger credited to Brens(7.62) in that bit of bother in the South Atlantic? Great gun.
            Now,anyone for the Motley Gun...a Bren with a 200-rd drum?
            regards
            GttC

Comment

Some Brit units used 7.62mm Brens in both the Falklands and Iraq War Mk1.

Comment

Conversion for a .303 bren to a 7.62mm bren in 181 cost 12oo pounds in clusive of the chromed barrel....did the DF make a mistake in not converting our brens..my unit has 6 guns mk3s built in 1957 and in 1997 thes guns had only fired 750 pergun......practically brand new...
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

[MOD: Split from Re org thread]

Tell me precisely why you need GPMGs permanently in your store. You already have Brens, that's still your weapon until a TOE change , therefore in order to train on them you'll have to borrow some. That has nothing to do with the re-org.
                  "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

The re-org is about the RDF being able to take a better defence role, serving alongside the PDF. The re-org covers equipment as well. We can't do that if we don't have the same basic section weapon.

The Bren's are generally unsafe and unsuitable. When we can get ammunition, the sights are off by metres and can't be adjusted correctly, they continue firing even when the trigger is released, no blanks are available etc etc

Comment

The Bren's are generally unsafe and unsuitable. When we can get ammunition, the sights are off by metres and can't be adjusted correctly, they continue firing even when the trigger is released, no blanks are available etc etc[/QUOTE]

The GPMG also continues firing when the trigger is released. You have to twist the ammo belt to stop it. I prefer firing the bren because there isnt a risk of losing finger tips while trying to pull a rapidly moving ammo belt and aim it at the same time.

Comment

Those problems sound like the hallmarks of poorly maintained weapons..

Comment

Those problems sound like the hallmarks of poorly maintained weapons..
                          I'd say that no matter how well maintained weapons are, age will become a factor after a while. The Brens are nearly 50 years old aren't they?

Comment

Age isn't a cause of degradation in a firearm of itself, but amounts of use would be. The point is though that a proper maintenance programme would identify faults and remedy them. LIke any other machine, parts wear out and need replacing or reconditioning.

EG when a MG "runs away", is it taken out of service and marked as needing work?

Comment

Originally posted by yellowjacket
                              Age isn't a cause of degradation in a firearm of itself, but amounts of use would be. The point is though that a proper maintenance programme would identify faults and remedy them. LIke any other machine, parts wear out and need replacing or reconditioning.

EG when a MG "runs away", is it taken out of service and marked as needing work?
                              When a machine gun that fires from an open bolt runs away, it is usually a sign of slightly too little gas being used to force the breechblock back - it goes back far enough to reload, but not far enough to engage the sear, and thus stop firing. I'm not sure about the GPMG, but the solution on the Bren is to increase the gas setting. Of course, it can also be caused by a worn sear.

Comment

Age isn't a cause of degradation in a firearm of itself, but amounts of use would be.
                                I know age itself won't effect it, I meant the age of it would mean it's had a lot of use.

Do they still have good enough quality parts for a Bren to make sure that whatever problem they are fixing won't just happen again?

Comment

Working...
                                X