Non-Irish citizen question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Reply To Yor Original Question

Copper22, in answer to your question, the citizenship rule for enlistment in the Irish Defence Forces, both Permanent and Reserve, is that one must be born an Irish citizen, or be born of parents so born (unsure if only one Irish born parent is sufficient here). I have been in the Reserve just over 14 years, and as the other folks said, a lot has changed, much of it for the better. At the moment, my unit is gearing up for Special Olympics duty, as with several other units I can think of... Best of luck in your Irish adventure...
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Truck Driver, there are different rules for enlisting non-nationals and it revolves around their work permit rights. Copper you should check out military.ie to see if they have any info and you should try and contact them directly.

As regards to restrictions on females MOS, as far as I know these have all been lifted (with maybe the exeption being the ranger wing), of course the usual prejudices apply.

Comment

To copper

I say good for you if that is what you want to do. I myself served with the army and I can tell you that good women in the army go far. There are some brillant females in the Defence Forces and then again not so good ones if you enlisted Im sure you would go far. But do your homework on the subject first as not to be dissapointed perhaps ring the Dept of Defence and ask them first on requirments. While I will say that the Irish Defence Forces aren't the US marines if you really want to come over and live here then they are the nearest that we have got.
        Anyways best of luck with it the thing here is the Defence Forces website
        www.military.ie :p

Comment

It state sclearly that male and female applicants are permitted on the adverts for wing selection, but as best as it can be known no female has yet passed.
          "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

I stand corrected, apologies to all.

Comment

Brigadier Bravo, and you slagged me Nieeeeeeeeeerd!
              "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Wow, you all have been very helpful, and I am greatful for all of the responses! Yooklid, I would love to take you up on your offer to hear what you have to say.
                I'm not really looking for that 'High speed" assault and tactics thing, though, if the opportunity arose and I could hack, I would certainly take it. Being in Law Enforcement I have had the opportunity to train with the SWAT team, which has been great and rewarding just in the training. Mostly I'm just looking for the type of lifestyle I lead now, disciplined, having a role in a large community, having something to be committed to, etc .. and military or Law Enforcement are pretty much all that can bring me that. I'm not looking to the Reserves, I went into the USMC reserves first, and couldn't stand it because it was only part time, so full time would be my choice. I have looked at military.ie and am going to give the contact number a ring tomorrow. Thank you all again for your advice.

Comment

No probs copper. I Private mailed you. we can talk about it there if you want
                  Meh.

Comment

I also sent you a message regarding your question.

Comment

In 18 months I plan on enlisting in the US ARMY, 11x Option 40 (for those who speak the lingo) with a three year term. I'll be 21 when I get out if want to get out, and I've been thinking a lot about going to Ireland to get some color back in my blood.

Im a born US citizen and 4th generation (Irish.) Which would mean if I want to become an Irish citizen as well as an American citizen I'd have to live in Ireland for five years unless I get hitched before standing in front of the board to grant me citizenship. I was wondering if I could get into the DF without citizenship. I've been doing my homework for three days now and I'm looking here to see if you've got any answers. Can I get citizenship granted faster if I join the DF (that is if they'd alow non-citizens?)

I checked out the military.ie website and didn't find much in the way of hope so I thought I'd stop by here and see whats playing down. I guess my next step would be to write some letters. Copper22, I'd be very interested to hear about your findings.

Comment

I don't think being a member of the DF gets you citizenship faster. The requirement to join the DF is that you have a work permit covering the period of enlistment (which is 5 years).

Comment

No offence to our Irish-American and American friends, but there are plenty of other ways to claim and explore you Irish heritage without joining the DF (though it is quite admirable if you do) Irony is, I am trying to get into the US reserve forces....

C
                          Meh.

Comment

Yooklid, that is pretty funny. I understand you want to get into the US reserves, Army? ROTC? Good luck, I'll be joining the with the delay entry program in a very short time. Can't wait to get into the Army.

Comment

Actually I am thinking of the Corps at this point, they have the most MOS open to non citizens, it seems. You can email me if you want a chat, I think I know a way that you can claim Irish citizenship right now.
                              Meh.

Comment

Working...
                              X