No announcement yet.

R.D.F. service medal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot of the ONE members wear medals that issue by other organisations who run along the same lines..they rae also awarded medals for service within the ONE...I got a run down of the medals fromer a member once only to find that very few of them are actaully related to actaul military service...they seem to have the same fixation that the americans have with awards and ribbons.

Maybe some one in the ONE can give us a run down on their awards please.?
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Groundhog
      The illsutration above is correct as both bars are worn on the medal and that is issue.
      The FCA/SM is the Reserve Defence Force but I meant that the new Irish names for the Army & Naval Reserve does not reflect the inscription on the present medal.

Comment

Like all other kit, members our unit have great difficulty in getting service medals. A few of the lads who were entitled to them put in for the 7-years, and nothing happened. A little later one of the old-timers arrived to parade on St. Patricks' Day wearing one, which he had apparently bought in an antiques shop. Nothing was said, and he wears it still on the No. 1 uniform. Out of curiousity, can he get away with that?
        "Why, it appears that we appointed all of our worst generals to command the armies and we appointed all of our best generals to edit the newspapers. I mean, I found by reading a newspaper that these editor generals saw all of the defects plainly from the start but didn't tell me until it was too late. I'm willing to yield my place to these best generals and I'll do my best for the cause by editing a newspaper"
        Gen. Robert E. Lee

Comment

yes and no, they shouldnt wear them because they werent issued with them but they should have been issued with them,case of nothing to see here move along.
          You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

To answer htpmurphy on the question of ONET medals the following are on issue:

1.Past Presidents Medal ( on issue to all Past Presidents)
            2.ONET Service Medal
            3.Sarsfield 300 Anniversary Medal (Patrick Sarsfield Branch Limerick only 1991)
            4.Golden Jubilee Medal 1950-2000
            5.George Crosby Branch Golden Jubilee Medal 2000(George Crosby Branch)

Other Medals allowed are FCA & Slua Muire: Golden Jubilee Medal 1996 & Millenium Medal 2000

All previous military and civil medals issued and other organisations medals i.e. Civil Defence,Fire Brigade,Coast Guard,PDF,FCA,ASM,RDF,Gardai etc.

I hope this helps

Comment

Viking, theoretically if the award hasn't appeared in ROs he's improperly dressed.
              "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Whats the difference on the Reverse Kermit??

any pictures?

Connaught Stranger

Comment

Originally posted by Connaught Stranger View Post
                  Whats the difference on the Reverse Kermit??

any pictures?

Connaught Stranger
                  From what I' ve heard C-S, the inscription is the only difference

The old one was:

"An Bonn Seirbhise FCA & SM"
                  (Service Medal FCA and An SM)

The new one is probably something like:

"An Bonn Seirbhise Cultacht na Forsai Cosanta"
                  (Reserve Defence Force Service Medal)

or similar...
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Many thanks for the above

Connaught Stranger.

Comment

hi just wondering if anybody might know where i could buy the millennium medal by frank lane , or if it is possible to contact frank lane directly , would really like to get my hands on one , any help would be great ,

Comment

They are usually available on Ebay but for silly prices!! If you are around Dublin on Saturday theres a Militaria Fair in The North Star Hotel from 10am onwards, You should be able to get one there or if not get details as to where one could be got!
                        Train Hard Fight Easy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mr cool View Post
                          hi just wondering if anybody might know where i could buy the millennium medal by frank lane , or if it is possible to contact frank lane directly , would really like to get my hands on one , any help would be great ,
                          I think frank sold all them, PM me and i will give you his number.
                          it will be long, it will be hard, and there will be no withdrawl
                          Winston churchill

Comment

Working...
                          X