Staple belt/stable belt/belt green...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staple belt/stable belt/belt green...

Upon recieving my issue of kit for the RDF, I found a nice, green stable belt. "Hmmm, this is cool", I thought as I opened and closed the buckle (which is known by various rather risque names) and tried it on. However, in my nearly one year in uniform, it has spent most of it's time hidden under my shirt and smock, and I know some people who don't wear a belt, or wear a civvy one instead. The most use mine has got is carrying a leatherman pouch. I know there's a lot of emphasis on them in the Brits, where they're a symbol of your regiment/corps, but has there ever been a time when we actually gave 2 shits about our belts? (post the retiring of 37 pattern, and the associated blanco, that is)

(Yes, I am very bored and have nothing to do)

Thought you were PDF.
    To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

the only formal use for the Irish patern belt ...is to hold up your trousers. Instructional staff in the past:tprior to the DPM uniform could wear the 58 pattern belt at waist height. In my days as a recruit in the NS we wore the white belts as did our instructors...and christ help you if your belt was a painted 38 pattern rather than the white cerimonial one. I still have mine..it was white webbing and broke my heart more than many women.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I must show you my stable belt sometime.

Comment

In the days of the OGs (olive green uniform), up until around 2002/3 (can't remember which) for the RDF, the staple belt was visible when not wearing the jumper.

Its purpose is, as hptmurphy said, is to keep the trousers up.

On a course, last year I heard of the No2 dress (as opposed to No1 dress) for the first time:

No1 Dress is the No1s (as known by most people) but with a 58 pattern web belt
          No2 Dress is the No1s as they are known by most people (with the cloth belt)

{I may be confusing the two, I can't remember}

Then there is the ceremonial belts, these are white. They aren't staple belt like that described in the first post, they have a substantial metal plate at the front. The army ones have the DF crest on it.

Comment

For PT there used to be a nice red Stable Belt issued.
            sigpic
            Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
            My favourite moment was when the
            red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Originally posted by DeV

On a course, last year I heard of the No2 dress (as opposed to No1 dress) for the first time
              i think it goes to service dress no 5?!?!? its in dfa A9
              Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

http://www.iamawesome.com/

Comment

Its just a combination of shirts and Pullovers at that level. I remember doing a Guard of honour with "Blancoed" Belt. it was a pain in the arse getting the whitewash off your uniform after. The Ceremonial belt and buckle are still pretty rare. Most units Have the white cotton Web Belt with brass 58 style buckle. Hopefully this will change.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Going back to Barry's post ...

Yes, the green staple belt is never visible in DPMs but would be visible with in No1s without tunic - i.e. shirt sleeves

Comment

Its not a staple belt, its a stable belt it originates form the early cavelry.
                    Last edited by rod and serpent; 28 June 2005, 02:39.

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
                      No1 Dress are not only a 58 pattern web belt, but with full 58 pattern CEFO and a steel helmet.
                      Sorry but 58 pattern anything isn't on issue anymore and I doubt that the next presidential GOH will be arrayed in SD No 1 with 58 pattern CEFO and Helmet.
                      sigpic
                      Say NO to violence against Women

My favourite moment was when the
                      red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Originally posted by Groundhog
                        Sorry but 58 pattern anything isn't on issue anymore and I doubt that the next presidential GOH will be arrayed in SD No 1 with 58 pattern CEFO and Helmet.
                        The dress regulations haven't been changed since circa 1950. Offically, non-Command flashes are illegal.

Comment

Better tell the chief of staff then as his unit markings are illegal.....now where did I put that illegal lanyard?
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by DeV
                            The dress regulations haven't been changed since circa 1950. Offically, non-Command flashes are illegal.
                            Dress regulations (DFR A9) haven't changed, but A Admin Instr Part 9 is updated from time to time, as stated in DFR A9.

Comment

Working...
                            X