Praise...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Praise...

...where praise is due.I was on Hook Head to see the Tall Ships and the traffic control and car parking arrangements were excellent and well-handled by an RDF unit (the 10th) and the Gardai. I was able to get in, get parked and leave with no delays. So,pats on the appropriate backs all round.
    regards
    GttC

"Way to direct the traffic, top gun!"
    "Hey, I have 3 medals for this!"

Comment

Bazza, sneer all you want but if it left the populus with a good impression of the RDF, then it worked.
      regards
      GttC

Comment

Good impression?? Yeah...i can hear them now "thats all they're good for, parking cars". I would rather be out of the public eye than park cars. We're supposed to be a military reserve!
        There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Comment

Originally posted by antichrist
          Good impression?? Yeah...i can hear them now "thats all they're good for, parking cars". I would rather be out of the public eye than park cars. We're supposed to be a military reserve!
          The 3rd Bn were with the 9th Bn on the Waterford side so it wasn't just the reserve.
          Last edited by Muzzle; 26 July 2005, 11:15.

Comment

well someone has to do it,and given the nature of the terrain,there wouldnt be enough CD to do the job,and would we really want hundreds of Gardai directing traffic on the estuaries byroads?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Does the FCA have the legal "power" to direct traffic on public roads?
              No-one, I think, is in my tree...

Comment

Same power as those working on the road.

Comment

Jeezus! I thought I was cynical! Lads, the RDF were efficient, friendly and made life easier. It was a lot easier to get in and out of the place than it has been when attending other public events. Strummer, the Gardai were there to act as the "legal" power, in the same fashion as there are gardai in airports.Whilst the Aer Rianta "police" will detain you, if need be, the Gardai will do the actual arresting. Anyhow, well done to all concerned.
                  regards
                  GttC

Comment

Talk about a can of worms opened....

Asnyway, re legal authority, if you're directing traffic, you don't need any. You're just politely asking / suggesting where they should go. If you're stopping them you need legal authority. This is normally achieved by acting on the instructions of a Garda.

Comment

But they don't have to follow your directions

Comment

Anyone moving livestock on a puplic road can stop traffic
                        Anyone transporting hay or straw on a public road requires no rear lights on vehicle
                        it will be long, it will be hard, and there will be no withdrawl
                        Winston churchill

Comment

Originally posted by beenthere
                          Anyone moving livestock on a puplic road can stop traffic
                          Actually anyone in in charge of an animal not just livestock, at leat thats waht it was in my rules of the road book.

Comment

Lets not get bogged down in this detail OK? We have established they were acting within the law. Now move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
                              We have established they were acting within the law. Now move on.

Mmmm Goldie I think you were just dying to say that again
                              Last edited by FMolloy; 26 August 2005, 19:28.
                              it will be long, it will be hard, and there will be no withdrawl
                              Winston churchill

Comment

Working...
                              X