No announcement yet.

Military Barracks Maintenance/Modernisation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im not familiar with Clancy Barracks in terms of its establishment and units etc. I can only assume that when it was sold, the personnel there were likely given the option of moving to another Unit of their choice (within reason). McKee and CBB within 5-20 mins of where Clancy was.

Not quite comparing a 2 hour relocation to the likes to Shannon from Baldonnel.

Sure, the Gov can put the hammer down and order a move and GOCAC can swing up the arms but he can't control personnel saying "f*ck that im out", of which i imagine there would be a sizable chunk.

You'll have a minority who will be happy to move but the majority of personnel won't be unless serious financial compensation is on offer. Which, lets be honest, it won't be.

There was AC personnel playing hard ball in refusing to move from Gormo to Bal even after the AC had moved 10-15 years earlier.
    ​​​​

Comment

Clancy had been refurb'ed as a "Super" Stores establishment, at great expence and optimism (centralisation of Stores around Dublin to reduce needless duplication). The duty refusal statement from Storemen everywhere became,"I'll have to order it from Clancy") and the whole place was sold within a few years. One of the rumours was that the space was considered too small (confined by the proximity of the railway) for future Army development, which was ironic because it was rapidly flattened and crammed with apartments. Apartment builders go up,not out. ...........In the case of the Gormo refuseniks,a lot of them transferred to Army units there. Some came to Baldonnel,as it suited them just fine and others left the DF entirely. In the case of compensation for soldiers and AC personnel having to relocate, it was, as ever, shamefully inadequate and not remotely as good as that enjoyed by civil servants being relocated.
      As an aside, we, in Baldonnel, recieved several truckloads of things like milling machines and big lathes, from Clancy. It turned out that the entirety of the Workshops there were being dispersed and the machinery was scattered around the DF. We got one lathe that was used for work on the turrets of armoured vehicles. We had no use for such a thing and it was unable to fit our Shop so it was put outside in a crate, with it's fellow machines. God knows what became of them.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
        Clancy had been refurb'ed as a "Super" Stores establishment, at great expence and optimism (centralisation of Stores around Dublin to reduce needless duplication). The duty refusal statement from Storemen everywhere became,"I'll have to order it from Clancy") and the whole place was sold within a few years. One of the rumours was that the space was considered too small (confined by the proximity of the railway) for future Army development, which was ironic because it was rapidly flattened and crammed with apartments. Apartment builders go up,not out. ...........In the case of the Gormo refuseniks,a lot of them transferred to Army units there. Some came to Baldonnel,as it suited them just fine and others left the DF entirely. In the case of compensation for soldiers and AC personnel having to relocate, it was, as ever, shamefully inadequate and not remotely as good as that enjoyed by civil servants being relocated.
        As an aside, we, in Baldonnel, recieved several truckloads of things like milling machines and big lathes, from Clancy. It turned out that the entirety of the Workshops there were being dispersed and the machinery was scattered around the DF. We got one lathe that was used for work on the turrets of armoured vehicles. We had no use for such a thing and it was unable to fit our Shop so it was put outside in a crate, with it's fellow machines. God knows what became of them.
        Not to forget the fact that a new Ordnance School had only been opened in Clancy about 2-3 years before it was waddied
        Resulting in yet another building having to be built in the Curragh on relocation of the Depot and School from Clancy to Clarke Barracks
        Having said that, Tpt School did well out of the affair, as they currently share the building with Ordnance
        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

One of the county papers is saying that Magee Barracks will be flattened for housing,a thousand units mentioned, so it must be apartment blocks.

Comment

One of the county papers is saying that Magee Barracks will be flattened for housing,a thousand units mentioned, so it must be apartment blocks.
            Its a big site though, you could do high density Duplex also.
            No mention here Kildare County Council (kildarecoco.ie)
            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Recent mention of a 1000 pupil school proposed for the site also
              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post

Recent mention of a 1000 pupil school proposed for the site also
                Isn't there a school somewhere behind already?

Comment

It has been announced that a 1,000 student Curragh Post Primary School - to cater for a huge demand for places in South Kildare - will be located on the site of Magee Barracks in Kildare town. The greenfield site is next to two existing primary schools, Kildare Town Educate Together NS and Gaelscoil...

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post

Isn't there a school somewhere behind already?
                    Think that's the Kildare Educate Together school

Comment

Kildare Co Council to take action over vandalised former Curragh Post Office - Kildare Now

I have to ask how is it that a building opposite the MP hq (and Fire station) can be subjected to vandalism?

Comment

'cos it's Someone Else's job.

Comment

I am 20 years retired. I spent the majority of my 39 years service in the Curragh Camp. I rarely visit it nowadays but I recenly went for a walk around the west side of the Camp. I was thoroughly shocked at the conditions I saw: dereliction, grass and weeds everywhere, rust on weapons and vehicles on exhibition at the entrances to barracks. The Camp is a disgrace and there is NO excuse for the conditions there at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Smithy View Post
                            I am 20 years retired. I spent the majority of my 39 years service in the Curragh Camp. I rarely visit it nowadays but I recenly went for a walk around the west side of the Camp. I was thoroughly shocked at the conditions I saw: dereliction, grass and weeds everywhere, rust on weapons and vehicles on exhibition at the entrances to barracks. The Camp is a disgrace and there is NO excuse for the conditions there at the moment.
                            No DF personnel to do it, next to no BFW staff, no budget

Comment

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2022-03-09a.235

Simon Coveney
                              (Cork South Central, Fine Gael)
                              Link to this: Individually | In context

I propose to take Questions Nos. 108 and 109 together.

Following the launch of the 5 year Built Infrastructure Programme for the Defence Forces in 2020, significant progress has been made in delivery on modernising the DF built environment. A number of significant projects were delivered/completed during 2021 including:

- Construction of 2 new gymnasia at Sarsfields Barracks, Limerick and at Stephens Barracks, Kilkenny combined cost of €6.2 million;

- Provision of a new Electric Target Range DFTC €2.1 million;

- NDA Range at Gormanstown €0.39m;

- Personnel Support Services Resource Centre, Camp Field, Collins Barracks, Cork €0.36m;

- Replacement of standby generators at Casement Aerodrome, Baldonnel €0.2m.

Other significant projects well advanced on site in 2021 included Block 8 accommodation (€4 million), refurbishment of Block H McKee (€6.4 million) and the remediation of Spencer Jetty (€3.1 million).

Building on the significant progress achieved in 2021, the capital allocation for 2022 is in the region of €35m. In addition, a further €10m is being provided to the Defence Forces for the purposes of maintenance of current stock.

This year’s allocation will enable the progression of the following Capital Projects to commence on site:

- Engineering Stores, Defence Forces Training Centre, €0.7 million;

- Cadet School HQ, Defence Forces Training Centre, €4.1 million;

- Upgrade to Barracks HQ, McKee Barracks, €1 million;

- Upgrade of Former USAC Block, Renmore, €10 million;

- Relocation of Printing Press, McKee Barracks, €1.9 million;

- Refurbishment of Block F, McKee Barracks, €8.3 million.

In addition the following major projects will be further progressed towards main contractor appointment with a view to onsite commencement in 2023 :

- Dredging, Haulbowline Naval Basin, €1.2 million;

- Refurbishment of Former Chief of Staff’s House, McKee Barracks, €2.2 million;

- Refurbishment of Block 9, Haulbowline, €5.5 million;

- CIS Workshop Facility, Defence Forces Training Centre, €7.3 million;

- ARW HQ, Defence Forces Training Centre, €4.4 million.

Comment

The value for money the DoD is getting is shockingly bad. The main problem burning money on refurbishing old poor quality buildings

Comment

Working...
                                X