X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeV
    replied
    Originally posted by Smithy View Post
    I am 20 years retired. I spent the majority of my 39 years service in the Curragh Camp. I rarely visit it nowadays but I recenly went for a walk around the west side of the Camp. I was thoroughly shocked at the conditions I saw: dereliction, grass and weeds everywhere, rust on weapons and vehicles on exhibition at the entrances to barracks. The Camp is a disgrace and there is NO excuse for the conditions there at the moment.
    No DF personnel to do it, next to no BFW staff, no budget

Leave a comment:

• Smithy
    replied
    I am 20 years retired. I spent the majority of my 39 years service in the Curragh Camp. I rarely visit it nowadays but I recenly went for a walk around the west side of the Camp. I was thoroughly shocked at the conditions I saw: dereliction, grass and weeds everywhere, rust on weapons and vehicles on exhibition at the entrances to barracks. The Camp is a disgrace and there is NO excuse for the conditions there at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• GoneToTheCanner
    replied
    'cos it's Someone Else's job.

Leave a comment:

• na grohmiti
    replied
    Kildare Co Council to take action over vandalised former Curragh Post Office - Kildare Now

I have to ask how is it that a building opposite the MP hq (and Fire station) can be subjected to vandalism?

Leave a comment:

• Truck Driver
    replied
    Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post

Isn't there a school somewhere behind already?
    Think that's the Kildare Educate Together school

Leave a comment:

• DeV
    replied
    https://www.kildarenow.com/news/home...n-kildare.html

Leave a comment:

• na grohmiti
    replied
    Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post

Recent mention of a 1000 pupil school proposed for the site also
    Isn't there a school somewhere behind already?

Leave a comment:

• Truck Driver
    replied
    Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    One of the county papers is saying that Magee Barracks will be flattened for housing,a thousand units mentioned, so it must be apartment blocks.
    Recent mention of a 1000 pupil school proposed for the site also

Leave a comment:

• na grohmiti
    replied
    One of the county papers is saying that Magee Barracks will be flattened for housing,a thousand units mentioned, so it must be apartment blocks.
    Its a big site though, you could do high density Duplex also.
    No mention here Kildare County Council (kildarecoco.ie)

Leave a comment:

• GoneToTheCanner
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Truck Driver
    replied
    Clancy had been refurb'ed as a "Super" Stores establishment, at great expence and optimism (centralisation of Stores around Dublin to reduce needless duplication). The duty refusal statement from Storemen everywhere became,"I'll have to order it from Clancy") and the whole place was sold within a few years. One of the rumours was that the space was considered too small (confined by the proximity of the railway) for future Army development, which was ironic because it was rapidly flattened and crammed with apartments. Apartment builders go up,not out. ...........In the case of the Gormo refuseniks,a lot of them transferred to Army units there. Some came to Baldonnel,as it suited them just fine and others left the DF entirely. In the case of compensation for soldiers and AC personnel having to relocate, it was, as ever, shamefully inadequate and not remotely as good as that enjoyed by civil servants being relocated.
    As an aside, we, in Baldonnel, recieved several truckloads of things like milling machines and big lathes, from Clancy. It turned out that the entirety of the Workshops there were being dispersed and the machinery was scattered around the DF. We got one lathe that was used for work on the turrets of armoured vehicles. We had no use for such a thing and it was unable to fit our Shop so it was put outside in a crate, with it's fellow machines. God knows what became of them.
    Not to forget the fact that a new Ordnance School had only been opened in Clancy about 2-3 years before it was waddied
    Resulting in yet another building having to be built in the Curragh on relocation of the Depot and School from Clancy to Clarke Barracks
    Having said that, Tpt School did well out of the affair, as they currently share the building with Ordnance

Leave a comment:

• GoneToTheCanner
    replied
    Clancy had been refurb'ed as a "Super" Stores establishment, at great expence and optimism (centralisation of Stores around Dublin to reduce needless duplication). The duty refusal statement from Storemen everywhere became,"I'll have to order it from Clancy") and the whole place was sold within a few years. One of the rumours was that the space was considered too small (confined by the proximity of the railway) for future Army development, which was ironic because it was rapidly flattened and crammed with apartments. Apartment builders go up,not out. ...........In the case of the Gormo refuseniks,a lot of them transferred to Army units there. Some came to Baldonnel,as it suited them just fine and others left the DF entirely. In the case of compensation for soldiers and AC personnel having to relocate, it was, as ever, shamefully inadequate and not remotely as good as that enjoyed by civil servants being relocated.
    As an aside, we, in Baldonnel, recieved several truckloads of things like milling machines and big lathes, from Clancy. It turned out that the entirety of the Workshops there were being dispersed and the machinery was scattered around the DF. We got one lathe that was used for work on the turrets of armoured vehicles. We had no use for such a thing and it was unable to fit our Shop so it was put outside in a crate, with it's fellow machines. God knows what became of them.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck
    replied
    Im not familiar with Clancy Barracks in terms of its establishment and units etc. I can only assume that when it was sold, the personnel there were likely given the option of moving to another Unit of their choice (within reason). McKee and CBB within 5-20 mins of where Clancy was.

Not quite comparing a 2 hour relocation to the likes to Shannon from Baldonnel.

Sure, the Gov can put the hammer down and order a move and GOCAC can swing up the arms but he can't control personnel saying "f*ck that im out", of which i imagine there would be a sizable chunk.

You'll have a minority who will be happy to move but the majority of personnel won't be unless serious financial compensation is on offer. Which, lets be honest, it won't be.

There was AC personnel playing hard ball in refusing to move from Gormo to Bal even after the AC had moved 10-15 years earlier.
    ​​​​

Leave a comment:

• GoneToTheCanner
    replied
    With regard to a 10-15 yr relocation,I would respectfully suggest that events might drive a relocation sooner. While the State has an uncanny knack of dragging it's heels while appearing not to,as all the restitution of victims cases have shown,the State can move quickly when it wants to (bailout) and shifting some or all of the Air Corps' fleet and it's personnel to parts far and wide could happen in short order. Clancy Barracks is a case in point. Supposedly a pivotal cog in the barracks system, it had several millions poured into it and with exquisite timing, was sold for relatively small money. Apart from that, the DF has had to get good at relocating units or losing them entirely. A lot of historical Army units and locations fell to the axe and it wouldn't be beyond the wit of the DoD/ DoF to demand that the AC take the hit and shift itself,for the supposed good of the State. if push came to shove, GOCAC would simply have to follow orders and might not get the luxury of a 15-yr timeline in which to do so. Imagine if the State had said, ten years ago, we want the site for the infamous Children's Hospital. Good road access, pivotal location for city and country, perfect helicopter access and within sight of a LUAS link. The AC would have been given it's marching orders in a heartbeat. Rule nothing out.

Leave a comment:

• trellheim
    replied
    Without getting bogged down in the exciting world of aircraft performance its worth noting the following.
    How is that not getting bogged down ?

Anyway please remain on topic

Leave a comment:

Working...
X