This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JAG
    If a reservist is incapable of being mobilised, trained up and deployed in a role identical to his regular counterpart within a short space of time, that reservist is a waste of resources.

Have I missed some thing or is the above what the re-org is suppose to be about?
    Last edited by FMolloy; 15 September 2005, 13:25.
    Hour by hour resolve firmly, like a Roman and a man, to do what comes to hand with correct and natural dignity, and with humanity, independence, and justice. Allow your mind freedom from all other considerations. :wink:
    - Marcus Aurelius-Roman Emperor A.D. 121-180

Comment

I think the Re-Org is just the latest big buzz word. I'll believe it when i see it.Its all well and good on paper but i think its gonna fall flat on its face. They're expecting too much and ya just know its not coming. The old way is a joke and should be put against a wall and shot. The new way is a fairytale of hopes and dreams, most of which will never happen, Right now were stuck somewhere in the middle. What next. Only time will tell
      Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
      Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
      do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

Comment

Just like to note ; the poll title is inaccurate. The re-org is not proposed, it's happening.

This is an attitude thing !

[Mod:Noted ]
        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by JAG
          If a reservist is incapable of being mobilised, trained up and deployed in a role identical to his regular counterpart within a short space of time, that reservist is a waste of resources.
          Now. Hands up all the Rambos who think they're hard and well ready to go to Liberia?
          The idea is that a reservist should be capable of being brought up to standard in 6 weeks. I'd be quite confident of achieving that goal with most RDF personnel. There's a good whack of PDF personnel, I'm thinking of our over-abundance of office types who would need the same training.
          sigpic
          Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
          My favourite moment was when the
          red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Originally posted by happeninMyLv
            I think the Re-Org is just the latest big buzz word. I'll believe it when i see it.Its all well and good on paper but i think its gonna fall flat on its face. They're expecting too much and ya just know its not coming. The old way is a joke and should be put against a wall and shot. The new way is a fairytale of hopes and dreams, most of which will never happen, Right now were stuck somewhere in the middle. What next. Only time will tell
            Instaed of worrying about the whole reserve, everybody should concentrate on making himself/herself, his section/platoon as good as possible. That will make the big picture brighter. When I was in a HMG platoon, did I worry about the standard of the Mortar Pln. No, because it wasn't my business. I looked after the section I had to train and that was it.
            sigpic
            Say NO to violence against Women

My favourite moment was when the
            red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

What Groundhog said.

Comment

Originally posted by Groundhog
                The idea is that a reservist should be capable of being brought up to standard in 6 weeks. I'd be quite confident of achieving that goal with most RDF personnel. There's a good whack of PDF personnel, I'm thinking of our over-abundance of office types who would need the same training.
                In terms of skills, maybe. But without regular fitness tests and an incentive (cash) to pass them, in the best case scenario you'll have a soldier with the knowledge and skills to do the job, but without the required fitness to achieve the objective. Fitness is not something that happens in six weeks. Six months would be closer to the mark.

And I'm sceptical that the six weeks to get up to speed will be achieved for the RDF- maybe for the integrated reserve, but if they're the only ones then the other 80% remains the adult equivalent of the boy scouts (without the discipline).

And therefore, a waste of valuable resources.
                Take these men and women for your example.
                Like them, remember that posterity can only
                be for the free; that freedom is the sure
                possession of those who have the
                courage to defend it.
                Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
                If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

6 weeks is a reasonable amount of time to take a healthy person and get them in good shape. The most likely utilization of reserve troops, given your present circumstances, would be to ask for a pool of volunteers and draw the most useful candidates.(the integarted reserve may be a good place to start from)
                  When I breeze into that city, people gonna stoop and bow.
                  All them women gonna make me, teach 'em what they don't know how

Comment

What do people think of the dropping of the Irish title for the Reserves i.e. FCÁ? I don't mind personally as the DF overall are still Óglaigh ne hÉireann but tow different people have asked me why the DOD are renaming to a English title and I couldn't answer. My guess is to bring it alongside the PDF and it makes more sense than renaming the PDF the BFC or whatever it would be as Gaeilge. Any opinions/thoughts anyone?
                    "Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied."

Otto Von Bismark

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Dillon
                      different people have asked me why the DOD are renaming to a English title and I couldn't answer. My guess is to bring it alongside the PDF and it makes more sense than renaming the PDF the BFC or whatever it would be as Gaeilge. Any opinions/thoughts anyone?
                      Its renamed cualtaca.(spelling might be dodgy)

What do people think of the dropping of the Irish title for the Reserves i.e. FCÁ?
                      I.E. reserves = ASM/FCÁ....

Comment

I think the english title is a good idea. People may have a better understanding of what we do...besides when people hear FCÁ they automatically thing free cloths...
                        If your not in bed by 4 o' clock it's time to go home!

Comment

Free Clothing Association...could do with losing the name alright

Comment

My humblest apologies. How could I have forgotten you gallant souls? What's renamed cualtacha by the way, the entire RDF? And what does that mean?
                            "Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied."

Otto Von Bismark

Comment

My humblest apologies. How could I have forgotten you gallant souls? What's renamed cualtacha by the way, the entire RDF? And what does that mean?
                              I sense jealousy at our level of integration from your last.. The entire RDF is Cualtaca and a huge surprise this might be, but it means.........Reserve

Comment

Forsa Cosanta Aitiuil - Local Defence Force

Cultaca na Airm - The Army Reserve

RDF combines the Army and Naval Reserve

The PDF are usually referred to as the PDF, so RDF sounds better ehen FCA because its much closer to the PDF title.
                                It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

Working...
                                X