note an Slua Muire is also gone.

RDF = Land AND Naval components.

Cultaca An Airm = Land Component. = CA

All we've done is lost the F.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Dillon
      What do people think of the dropping of the Irish title for the Reserves i.e. FCÁ? I don't mind personally as the DF overall are still Óglaigh ne hÉireann but tow different people have asked me why the DOD are renaming to a English title and I couldn't answer. My guess is to bring it alongside the PDF and it makes more sense than renaming the PDF the BFC or whatever it would be as Gaeilge. Any opinions/thoughts anyone?
      The reason is simple.

FCÁ = Foras Cosanta Aituil = Local Defence Force
      CA = Cultaca An Airm = Army Reserve

The RDF is moving from being a force with the intend of defending their local areas as was the case during the Emergency (1939-1946) to that of a general reserve for the Defence Forces, capacble of fulfilling roles currently undertaken by the PDF when required.

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim
        The re-org is not proposed, it's happening.

This is an attitude thing !
        I think that the re-org is good for the Reserve just from what i was told about it i feel it's good. people are puttin it down and sayin it's not gonna work..How do you know it won't?? as trellheim said it is an attitude thing. people try and be positive. i know at the start i was real iffy bout the whole thing but i thought bout it and said i'll be positive and give it a chance. i think everyone should just try be the best to their ability and don't knock it just yet!!
        Cheers Bernard......

Comment

Originally posted by JAG
          In terms of skills, maybe. But without regular fitness tests and an incentive (cash) to pass them, in the best case scenario you'll have a soldier with the knowledge and skills to do the job, but without the required fitness to achieve the objective. Fitness is not something that happens in six weeks. Six months would be closer to the mark.
          There's one fool proof incentive to pass your fitness test-your ticket if you fail. It's the responsibility of every member of the PDF to keep himself fit to pass his annual assessment. Why should the RDF get an allowance for doing so.

Originally posted by JAG
          And I'm sceptical that the six weeks to get up to speed will be achieved for the RDF- maybe for the integrated reserve, but if they're the only ones then the other 80% remains the adult equivalent of the boy scouts (without the discipline).
          Presumably in a few years most of the RDF will have been rotated through the integrated system. I presume those that have will get priority on NCO and Pot Officer courses.
          sigpic
          Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
          My favourite moment was when the
          red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

My 2 cents on the Re-org:

While a very good idea in theory, it is beginning to fall apart. Having heard the basic bones of how the re-org will affect specific units, I noted several problems.

Units will have to reach certain levels of training by certain timelines. However, Noone knows what those levels are, how they are going to be achieved, who is going to test them, who is going to instruct etc. etc. The big question is how a PDF 3 week course (ie Regt Sigs Cse) is going to be squeezed into weeknights and weekends. The theory has been laid out but how it is going to be implemented in practise remains uncertain. Basically it seems that the Military authorities are acting as if they are dealing with regular troops and can simply dictate Reservist to be at certain places at certain times without realising that Reservists have jobs/courses which must take precedence to the RDF.

There seems to be a major lack of knowledge making its way down the chain of command. Noone knows what exactly is happening. Units that have started back training are unsure of what officers/sen NCOs are available for training. ie. will the recruit platoon that you have begun training have the same people in charge of it in 1 months time. With 3 weeks to go, noone knows where they are supposed to be. PDF instructors who are vital to specific training have not been informed of this etc.

And the biggie..... there is still no legislation for the protection of Reservists employment. Without this, everything else is doomed to failure.

Comment

Originally posted by Groundhog
              There's one fool proof incentive to pass your fitness test-your ticket if you fail. It's the responsibility of every member of the PDF to keep himself fit to pass his annual assessment. Why should the RDF get an allowance for doing so.

Presumably in a few years most of the RDF will have been rotated through the integrated system. I presume those that have will get priority on NCO and Pot Officer courses.
              GH- Do PDF not still have PT timetabled into their working day? RDF have, for the most part, to work full time jobs, and any fitness training done in their own time, most likely without assistance. (Which is why IMHO parades on Tuesdays & Sundays should be used for PT and nothing else- with one weekend per month and one month per year for all other training).

On rotating RDF through the integrated system, in time this will produce results, if you're right. But what about all the NCO's and officers who are already in place. It would take a decade, at least, of what you're talking about to get any real change in leadership in the RDF. Which is why my favoured option remains disbanding it entirely and starting again from scratch. The TA & USNG have direct entry officer programmes, why not the RDF?

DOCMAN, on the regimental signals course, when I was due to become a signaller, I was told for quite some time that the only thing standing in the way of my ceasing to be a recruit was doing the ARPs and a reg. signals cse, the latter to take one weekend to complete. I eventually got my 2*s having learnt to march, toet & fire the FN. And I still haven't done that signals cse.

Go figure.
              Take these men and women for your example.
              Like them, remember that posterity can only
              be for the free; that freedom is the sure
              possession of those who have the
              courage to defend it.
              Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
              If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

All I can say is that my unit have told us nothing, with just two weeks to go.
                Last edited by bulldemboots!; 16 September 2005, 15:38.

Comment

PM me if you need 62 Bn info. I'll try and help.
                  "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by JAG
                    GH- Do PDF not still have PT timetabled into their working day?
                    Only in recruit training, NCOs courses and the like. On a day to day basis it's the individuals responsibility to keep himself fit.

Originally posted by JAG
                    On rotating RDF through the integrated system, in time this will produce results, if you're right. But what about all the NCO's and officers who are already in place. .
                    If they are any good, OK- if not, P45 time.

You must realise that the people who call the shots are civilians. They don't care about the military, they cannot see any point in the military and their sole objective is to save money.

Whether LT Bloggs (RDF) is an effective platoon commander is irrelevant to them. What is relevant is that they have a file saying that LT Bloggs (RDF) has completed X,Y and Z courses to make him an effective platoon commander. LT Bloggs (RDF) is paid by the Dept of Defence for two or three weeks a year and can replace a PDF Lt who is very, very expensive to train and maintain. Furthermore in 21 years time Comdt Bloggs will still be getting paid for two or three weeks a year and will never qualify for a pension.

JAG you need to abandon your Private sector mindset and get into the Civil service groove.
                    Last edited by Groundhog; 16 September 2005, 17:06.
                    sigpic
                    Say NO to violence against Women

My favourite moment was when the
                    red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

A: If they are any good, OK- if not, P45 time.

B: JAG you need to abandon your Private sector mindset and get into the Civil service groove.
                      A: GH, you may just be a man after my own heart.

B: NEVER!
                      Take these men and women for your example.
                      Like them, remember that posterity can only
                      be for the free; that freedom is the sure
                      possession of those who have the
                      courage to defend it.
                      Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
                      If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

Just wondering how would a PDF fit PT into a day is it when you're fininshed the days duties or can you go whenever you want.
                        It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

The reverse, no gratuity (I know its only a small amount but anyway) if you fail. But only when you are given help to achieve a basic standard of fitness.

After all, the PDF have an inital PT test before entry, RDF don't, PDF have an annual medical, RDF don't, PDF have access to a unit PTI, RDF don't, etc etc

Comment

Originally posted by Big Al
                            How can you say Yes in theory but in practice No when the thing hasnt even started yet?
                            first of all my poll started as a simple yes or no question. someone must of altered it to include the last option.

are you all aware that all courses run by the pdf must allocate 10% of all places to the rdf. this question is to all the pdf personnel, how would you feel if you applied for a course and someone from the rdf got it? and it turned out you were in the df longer and had a better record than that person

Comment

I am not pdf but I still have an opinion.
                              I would say "Get used to it and get over it."

It's integration not apartheid. 10% is a good start and I'm sure it will increase.

Comment

[QUOTE=Groundhog]Only in recruit training, NCOs courses and the like. On a day to day basis it's the individuals responsibility to keep himself fit.

you are wrong there. there is a pt parade every day in the 5th bn. only senior nco's and old sweats do their own pt's

well if you were in the pdf you would know that it is already hard enough to get places on courses. and now with this re-org they are just going to give 10% of all these courses away to people who, lets be realistic, won't get to put most of them to use in a real situation overseas. priority should be given to the pdf. sure like most rdf keep cribbing about, you have jobs as civi's how will you's get the time to complete a 3 week to a 6 month course.
                                Last edited by Guest; 16 September 2005, 22:07.

Comment

Working...
                                X