Training loss?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training loss?

Defence Forces writes off more than €46,000 worth of equipment as either lost or broken beyond repair

The Defence Forces lost or wrote off as damaged beyond repair more than €46,000 worth of equipment over the space of two years.

Among the items that went missing in action or were damaged so badly they could no longer be used were body armour, a night vision device, GPS devices, and even badminton racquets.

The Defence Forces had originally released only a partial list of the items with close to half of the entries redacted on security grounds.

They had claimed release of details relating to some lost or damaged items “could be used by criminal elements, paramilitaries, or other state and non-state actors to counter a specific operational capability the Defences Forces uses at home and/or overseas”.

In an internal review decision, they said there was a risk of “serious harm, or indeed loss of life” and that the chance of this happening – while unlikely – could “potentially be catastrophic” to the Defence Forces, its personnel, and even the state. That decision was subsequently appealed to the Information Commissioner, at which point the Defence Forces opted to release the list in full.
    Defence Forces writes off more than €46,000 worth of equipment as either lost or broken beyond repair – TheStory.ie
    Good man Ken.
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Twenty two folding plastic chairs ------- I guess someone was hosting a family gathering !
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

In the great scheme of things, it's peanuts for an organisation of this size.I'm quite sure that if you looked around at the rest of the Civil and Public service, you'd find plenty of examples of write-offs that cost significantly more, apart from mistakes or accidents or bad procedure.

Comment

I think the issue here was the D/COS initially only provided a partial list claiming national security, with items like Sunglasses, pouches, training grenades redacted, while things like 21 inch Tactical Baton were not redacted.
        army-equipment.pdf (documentcloud.org)
        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Working...
        X