Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

L119s...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    L118 range 17.2 km, 20.6 km extended range using base bleed (whatever that means)
    L119 range 14 km, 19.5 km with M913 rocket assisted projectile
    Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

    Comment


    • #32
      Archy,
      I assure you, some storeman somewhere has a spare barrel in stores for the Gun.Complete with part number, serial number, batch number, Nato Stock number, modification status number, lot number,etc,etc
      regards
      GttC

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by paul View Post
        L118 range 17.2 km, 20.6 km extended range using base bleed (whatever that means)
        L119 range 14 km, 19.5 km with M913 rocket assisted projectile
        When a shell is fired from, a vacume develops behind it and the resulting drag reduces the range of the shell, base bleed is simply a small gas generator at the base of the projectile that fills in the vacume and means the shell flies further.

        Am pretty sure we don't have any base bleed ammunition though.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Archimedes View Post
          On the IMO army page at http://www.irishmilitaryonline.com/a...hp?id=fieldgun
          it states "the L118 is identical although it does not have an exchange tube nor does it take standard 105mm ammo"

          What is an exchange tube? I have visions of someone being sent to the quartermaster for a spare barrel for the 105.

          Also, the maximum range shown on the IMO page is slightly ambitious for either weapon.
          sher while he's at it get him to draw the keys to the square too.

          Comment


          • #35
            Don't forget the grid squares...
            Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
              Archy,
              I assure you, some storeman somewhere has a spare barrel in stores for the Gun.Complete with part number, serial number, batch number, Nato Stock number, modification status number, lot number,etc,etc
              regards
              GttC
              I wouldn't bet the house on that, I just fitted parts to a L118 that we ordered more than 16 months ago. We were told that there is a delay as priority, for parts being manufactured, is going to the British guns deployed in Afghanistan
              CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

              Comment


              • #37
                Well Rex, you sound like the man to answer my original question
                ie: what is this mythical "exchange tube"?
                Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Archimedes View Post
                  Well Rex, you sound like the man to answer my original question
                  ie: what is this mythical "exchange tube"?
                  Sorry I'm a mechanic, we only do the brakes, wheels, suspension & lights etc. The bits that go bang belong to the Ordinance Techs
                  CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Knowing little about artillery but something about hydrodynamics, could it be part of the guns buffer system?
                    Presumably it is a hydraulic buffer, and the buffering liquid(or gas, who knows) needs to go from one place to another when under pressure for that moment after the gun firing...

                    Or maybe I'm well off the mark?


                    Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Rex,
                      Good old "Union rules, bud". Whoever said the Army didn't have Unions...
                      regards
                      GttC

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        For all you artillery heads.

                        There's a working 3d model of the L118 in 3d warehouse here

                        http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...0e&prevstart=0

                        Download google sketchup for free, install the sketchy physics engine and your good to go.
                        "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                          Rex,
                          Good old "Union rules, bud". Whoever said the Army didn't have Unions...
                          regards
                          GttC
                          Good guess, but wrong. Ord techs are not trained in brakes etc
                          CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            If they are intelligent enough to fix the high-pressure parts of a gun, then simple brakes shouldn't be beyond them.It smells of the age-old electrician-mech divide.
                            regards
                            GttC

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                              If they are intelligent enough to fix the high-pressure parts of a gun, then simple brakes shouldn't be beyond them.It smells of the age-old electrician-mech divide.
                              regards
                              GttC
                              Believe me if we could find a way to give the job back to them we would, Tpt workshops only took on the task a couple of years ago. It probably came down to fear of being sued in case of an accident i.e. "yes your honour, a trained mechanic looks after the brakes" etc.
                              It definitely wasn't a case of someone stamping their feet and saying "that's our job"
                              CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X