No announcement yet.

FCA & ASM are no more.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the new reserve will be taken seriously if and when the dept of defence takes it seriously.
    i have been present on occasions when the minister has spoken on the topic and the term VOLUNTARY ETHOS props up in nearly every sentence.
    if the dod wants a first class reserve then train them to and expect the highest standards but PAY THEM THE SAME AS THE BRITISH MOD PAYS THE TA.
    AND THEN WEED OUT THE BIRDS

Comment

Originally posted by DeV
      The only information my company (meaning the privates) have received is from me. I got the vast majority of the information from members of the board and DF publications posted on military.ie.
      I have been hearing about it from official sources(i.e lecture from officer types) since my Pots Course back in 2001. Every period of annual training since then incorporated some officer making some sort of official statement to the troops about how the Reorg would affect them, what changes were being made to the unit, etc.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucket 2
        it has been said many times,"we are volunteers", "this is our hobby".
        "He who cheats wins" (when it comes to soldiering (and probally politics also))

Comment

Originally posted by Bucket 2
          it has been said many times,"we are volunteers", "this is our hobby".
          Because its the truth.

The RDF is not my fulltime job. If its not a hobby, what else is it? A charity?

I don't get paid for attending training either. If i'm not volunteering then why am I there?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Rdf HQ Locations throughout Ireland.

Talking about the New RDF Establishment i would be interested in finding out about the other RDF Unit locations through out ireland as i am a member of the new 58th Res Inf Bn that is relivant to the Counties of Donegal, Sligo and Leitrim.

The new HQ's are spread out at the following loacions:

HQ Coy - Finner Camp

A'Coy - Carndonagh.

B'Coy - Letterkenny.

C'Coy - Sligo Town.

D'Coy - Carrick-on-Shannon.

Spt Coy - Manorhamilton. (example below)

- Recce Platoon - Ballyshannon.
            - HMG Platoon - Kilibegs
            - Pioneer Assault Platoon -Donegal Town.
            - Anti-Armour Platoon - Donegal Town.
            - Mortar Platoon - Finner.

All the Inf Coy's Have 3 Inf Platoons and a Weapons Platoon as it was with the FCA!

There used to be a list in RDFRA.ie of the old FCA locations and it would be somewhat interesting to have something similar to give people on the board an idea of the geographical spread of the New RDF within the Country!

Just an idea ! Thanks !

Comment

Originally posted by sgtbilko
              the term VOLUNTARY ETHOS props up in nearly every sentence.
              if the dod wants a first class reserve then train them to and expect the highest standards but PAY THEM THE SAME AS THE BRITISH MOD PAYS THE TA.
              Hear hear on the pay thing- and travel expenses to the training centres, and annual bounty for completing training standards as in the TA. Motivate people to attain standards with cold hard cash, give them employee protection and make them liable for compulsory overseas service.

I have yet to take part in any effective voluntary organisation- people use them to prop up their egos. MONEY MONEY MONEY!!! Reserve soldiers are there to do a job- you want someone to do a job for you, you fcuking well pay them for it.

As for women, they DO have their places in the military. Those places are an office, a kitchen, a gym as PTI instructor, a driver for S&T/Logs?WTF they're called now. But their place is NOT out in the field. It just doesn't work.

On geographical spread, if the majority of training is taking place on PAID weekends, as it should, then training centres should be relegated to the role of pickup points for transport to the training area.
              Take these men and women for your example.
              Like them, remember that posterity can only
              be for the free; that freedom is the sure
              possession of those who have the
              courage to defend it.
              Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
              If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye
                There used to be a list in RDFRA.ie of the old FCA locations and it would be somewhat interesting to have something similar to give people on the board an idea of the geographical spread of the New RDF within the Country!
                It is here, see pages 8 & 9

Comment

Originally posted by sgtbilko
                  the new reserve will be taken seriously if and when the dept of defence takes it seriously.
                  i have been present on occasions when the minister has spoken on the topic and the term VOLUNTARY ETHOS props up in nearly every sentence.
                  Quite Right. on the pay thing. I can't belive your RDF people turn in for Nothing! If you don't pay people then by definition the are amatures. Start paying RDF it will all of a sudden get more professional.
                  The TA do the same courses as the regular army(if in a shorter period of two weeks). Which are in the main run by regular soldiers. The main reaseon the TA have more respect now than they used to from both the Regular army and the public is the fact that they have been used, and proved effective on ops. Simple really

Comment

Hi all
                    I take it,then,JAG, that you've never seen or heard of Israeli women soldiers/Russia's long history of women combatants (pilots/AA),Germany's use of women soldiers as artillery/AA operators/ fast jet pilots in the USAF/RAF/CanAF and thousands of other examples. If you think your women comrades at unit level aren't hard enough, then work them as hard as the men. Being tough applies across the board.....professionalism is what every unit needs to aspire to, regardless of whether they're PDF or RDF.The PDF has no shortage of wasters and seat-fillers and non-professionals, they're just cleverer than you and they can't be fired.If your Unit is not providing adequate training/kit/lectures/whatever, then you need to keep at the leadership to improve the situation.Any unit commander with a grain of sense will listen to his people and do his level best to get them what they want. So, no dodgy hair, no sloppy turnout, no smegs/mullets and also no double standards and back up your men at all times.
                    regards
                    Gttc

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner
                      Hi all
                      I take it,then,JAG, that you've never seen or heard of Israeli women soldiers/Russia's long history of women combatants (pilots/AA)
                      Israel no longer utilises women in frontline combat- they did this once and found out that it didn't work. From the mouth of an Israeli paratrooper seargeant; a conversation DOCMAN was present for many years ago, I think.

I don't remember seeing footage of female Russian forces in Chechnya- please correct me if I'm mistaken. WW2 comes under the heading of exception.

Artillery/AA/fast jets are not frontline combat roles- by definition they require large amounts of support. Infantry and other frontline combatants must be in a position to operate without such support for extended periods.

Men and women are NOT THE SAME! Shocking as this newsflash may be,
                      Take these men and women for your example.
                      Like them, remember that posterity can only
                      be for the free; that freedom is the sure
                      possession of those who have the
                      courage to defend it.
                      Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
                      If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

Working...
                      X