Battlefield Eyes & Ears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battlefield Eyes & Ears

The September issue of Connect as an interesting centrespread on the equipment available to DF RISTA (Reconnaissance, Intelligence, Surveillance & Target Acquisition) elements.

The teams fall into 3 types:
    - Arty Anchor OP (which are in a fixed position overlooking ground)
    - Arty FOO (with the lead Coy & Pln of the advance)
    - Independent OP (manned by Inf, Cav or SF personnel)

The equipment they may have available include:
    - Personal Role Radio
    - Kite sight for Steyr
    - "Lucie" night vision goggles
    - Laser Range Finder
    - Handheld GPS
    - Viking 2000 Angulation Head
    - "Sophie" thermal imager
    - AMSTAR ground surveillance radar

...and a partridge in a pear tree
    Amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

DF RISTA (Reconnaissance, Intelligence, Surveillance & Target Acquisition) elements.
      A Recce Pln?
      sigpic
      Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
      My favourite moment was when the
      Originally posted by hedgehog
      red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

the viking 2000 look's like an interesting piece of equipment
        Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

yeah exactly,that article was very artillery biased.recce is traditionally an infantry/sf skill.
          In recent years with the advent of the pso bn's the cav have muscled in cos when the director of cav was offered recce as the corps contribution to the pso bn,he thought it was armoured medium recce and not short range foot borne.so now the cav are stuck with a task they dont want,and we have infantry troops doing recce csesthat they wont get an opurtunity to use whenever the cav are around.As for the artillery foo teams have a totally different role as spotters for the arty bty,they are not the battle groups eyes and ears.that is the role of the infantry recce pln and the cav medium recce. :tri:
          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

hi all
            Pray tell, does a radar signature not stand out like a sore thumb on the modern battlefield.I'd imagine, if one was to engage a well-tooled-up enemy, that they would have the means to detect a radar sweep, pinpoint it and reply with the appropriate technology? it looks an awful lot of stuff to lug around on one's backs, especially if the oppo are searching for you. Is this gadgetry triumphing over practicality?
            regards
            GttC

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner
              hi all
              Pray tell, does a radar signature not stand out like a sore thumb on the modern battlefield.I'd imagine, if one was to engage a well-tooled-up enemy, that they would have the means to detect a radar sweep, pinpoint it and reply with the appropriate technology? it looks an awful lot of stuff to lug around on one's backs, especially if the oppo are searching for you. Is this gadgetry triumphing over practicality?
              regards
              GttC
              Yes but every weapon and piece of equipment has pros and cons.

Its designed to be manpacked if necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV
                The September issue of Connect as an interesting centrespread on the equipment available to DF RISTA (Reconnaissance, Intelligence, Surveillance & Target Acquisition) elements.

The teams fall into 3 types:
                - Arty Anchor OP (which are in a fixed position overlooking ground)
                - Arty FOO (with the lead Coy & Pln of the advance)
                - Independent OP (manned by Inf, Cav or SF personnel)

The equipment they may have available include:
                - Personal Role Radio
                - Kite sight for Steyr
                - "Lucie" night vision goggles
                - Laser Range Finder
                - Handheld GPS
                - Viking 2000 Angulation Head
                - "Sophie" thermal imager
                - AMSTAR ground surveillance radar
                Have used the Sophie and LTM. The Sophie in particular is a very good piece of kit bit heavy though.

Comment

Hi guys, besides Sophie, what other optical battlefield surveillance equipment is used by the DF?
                  "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

Lucie, Kite, mini kite, and the yokeys on the New Mowags and LTAVs.

Sophie is a bitch.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

That's all I could think of too, is there anything bigger than Sophie that's ground based, not vehicle mounted?
                      "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                        Lucie, Kite, mini kite, and the yokeys on the New Mowags and LTAVs.

Sophie is a bitch.
                        We've the Mono's too.

Oh and for the sake of being snaggy, it's a Midi Kite not Mini Kite

Comment

Blame my poor hearing. I was playin with a marconi headset when I was introduced to it....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

You also have the Javelin IR sight module which can be used independantly I believe. I don't think there are any other TI systems in use outside of the SF guys and I don't know what they use.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                              yeah exactly,that article was very artillery biased.recce is traditionally an infantry/sf skill.
                              In recent years with the advent of the pso bn's the cav have muscled in cos when the director of cav was offered recce as the corps contribution to the pso bn,he thought it was armoured medium recce and not short range foot borne.so now the cav are stuck with a task they dont want,and we have infantry troops doing recce csesthat they wont get an opurtunity to use whenever the cav are around.As for the artillery foo teams have a totally different role as spotters for the arty bty,they are not the battle groups eyes and ears.that is the role of the infantry recce pln and the cav medium recce. :tri:

ALL forward recce elements, not just inf and sf are the eyes and ears of the battallion. FOO teams can be utilised for a lot more RISTA tasks than just as 'spotters' for the artillery as you call them. FOO teams are probably the most highly trained RISTA asset there is outside of SF recce teams. Besides the basic recce skills such as navigation, cam/con, hide construction etc, they are trained on a wide variety of surveillance, target acquisition and fire planning equiptment.

Comment

Working...
                              X