i dont get it, or rather I dont understand the analogy
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

It doesn't really mean gucchi. It's short for the term "high speed, low drag" and usually refers to members of the military (usually reservists but not always) who believe their abilities are much greater than they truly are. Walters. Talk a good game but when it comes to actually doing it well.....

I will say though that there are probably members of the reserve that could pass as here there are Guardsmen who make it through Ranger and SFAS (and all subsequent schools).
      There may be only one time in your life when your country will call upon you and you will be the only one who can do the nasty job that has to be done -- do it or forever after there will be the taste of ashes in your mouth.

Comment

If a member of the RDF somehow managed to get on to Mike1 or whatever its called next. I'm sure every effort would be made to ensure that person not passing selection. They'd be the laughing stock of the whole Army.
        Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

I reckon they would give em a fair go, no skin off their nose and and a RDF head getting through would up the stakes for the PDF lads who didn't :wink:

Its not as if its ever going to happen anyway...

Comment

jack,

if a member of the reserve made the criteria for selection and attended for the course do you actually think that that would make a difference to the DS.

all they would see is a motivated (or not) prospect and would give him the same benifit as all the rest of the course, if he fell by the wayside along with all the rest that do so, at least he would have the balls to try.

the ARW are professional's...do you actually think they would see a sandbag and be insulted by him attending...no, that is the thinking of shallow wannabes not professionals, a lot of people give their opinions on what they think members of the pdf think of them attending dual courses without actually having gone through one themselves, i have been on courses with members of the rdf and have run courses for the rdf and have given them the respect they earned, but remember a tosspot will be treated as a tosspot, any person who has earned the right to attend a course should and would be shown respect.

i am not saying it will happen that a member of the rdf will attend selection..but if it does they will probably be treated the same as everyone else.

Comment

I'm sure every effort would be made to ensure that person not passing selection. They'd be the laughing stock of the whole Army
              Evidently you dont know or have never talked to any member of the wing

99.999999% of them are totally modest and extremely decent people,

They dont do the course for badges or pats on the back, they are true professional Soldiers.

I have never heard a member of the wing slagging off anyone who has been on selection whether they failed miserably or not

The only thing I have ever heard one of them say was " At least you had the bolli*xs to try , hard luck"

So Jack, mate before you make statements like that open the front of your trousers and look, just below the lukozade stain and under the chessy stick, Is there a set of Cahunas there that are big enough to put your name foward for selection

Comment

well said, in my experience the very people that slag off others who might try selection are the very ones that would find it too hard to ever go to the company office to fill in an application, nevermind actually try selection!

also, i've never heard a member of the ARW slag off somebody who's tried or shown genuine interest in trying for it.

on a unconnected point, but one of mild interest as we're talking about Reservists trying selection. a few years ago it was possible for civilians to apply to do the U.S. Navy SEAL selection course!
                Fate whispers to the warrior, "There is a storm coming"

And the warrior whispers back "I am the storm".

Comment

Its not entirely un feasable that the arw in future DECADES may have a reserve pln,possibly drawn from integrated reserve members.They could be ex pdf or otherwise.If you can have a t.a uksf than whynot an arw one?But not at the moment not drawn from the rdf.
                  I also completly agree with the comments regarding those who tryout for selection.No member of the wing will ever slag off someone for giving it a go.Having said that i have heard that some members of the wing refer to the rest of the army as "black trash",so it looks like the sandbags are not the only ones who get dissed.
                  "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

And even the SAS and SBS have a reserve..if you can give the time and pass the test why shouldn't a reserve become a memebr. Given that the higher ups in the army are only recently finding a role for reservists its only a matter of time before reservist will be able to undertake the course.

I've met a few of the wing in the past..they don't brag..they don't slag..they don't run down anyone lese..not only have these guys physically reached the pinacle of their careers...mentaly they seem to have achieved alot that the rest of the Army..both PDF and RDF could learn from.
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

the arw is a full time job. it requires you to be ready 24/7
                      Thngs change man, bear that in mind

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog
                        ...BTW Strummer - whats high speed mean

Usually when mentioned in US military circles it's short for "High Speed Low Drag" (HSLD).

It can be a term of derision or it can be an expression of admiration for someone or something. It all really depends on the usage.

For example, describing a high-end, great quality, top range, goretex sleeping bag system as "high speed" would mean that the user is impressed with it and holds it in high regard compared with the bulky, heavy, down-filled item it replaced.

Refering to the last man who barely huffed and puffed his way over the finish line in the PT test... "OK there High-Speed, I suppose 25 minutes for 2 miles isn't that bad !!!" would be a term of derision.

All relative and very subjective stuff.

Later.
                        No-one, I think, is in my tree...

Comment

Originally posted by apod
                          .....Having said that i have heard that some members of the wing refer to the rest of the army as "black trash",so it looks like the sandbags are not the only ones who get dissed.
                          Interesting that, considering that at some point, these same ARW members will be rotating back to regular PDF units...
                          FMolloy
                          King Monkey
                          Last edited by FMolloy; 9 October 2005, 13:08.
                          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

All relative and very subjective stuff
                            Thanks, that actually makes sense and is somwhat similar to the rem guicchi and mingi and brutal (my 667)

Comment

Originally posted by apod
                              Its not entirely un feasable that the arw in future DECADES may have a reserve pln,possibly drawn from integrated reserve members.They could be ex pdf or otherwise.If you can have a t.a uksf than whynot an arw one?But not at the moment not drawn from the rdf.
                              I also completly agree with the comments regarding those who tryout for selection.No member of the wing will ever slag off someone for giving it a go.Having said that i have heard that some members of the wing refer to the rest of the army as "black trash",so it looks like the sandbags are not the only ones who get dissed.
                              Civvy soldier's was the term I seem to remember :-), I also remember doing a lot of pushups for singing in a pl about "seeing a bunch of civvy soldiers looking back at me" when passing the 3th Inf Bn at Connolly Bks, while I was doing them I remember the voice of the instructor saying "don't be so f**in pretentious a sandbag with a f***in green boiler suit and a f***in wooden rifle can kill you no matter what sort of special soldier you f***in think you are". As you can imagine it became clearly etched on my mind forever. (in the days when FCA wore boiler suits and used the .303 Lee Enfield rifle.)

Comment

Originally posted by Bucket 2
                                can any of you RDF lads/ladies realyy think you will ever get the money or resources to form an ARW(R)

Nah, but id let the reserves do selection as a course given that they would learn alot from it.

There is a ARW Reserve made up of former members who are still serving in the PDF and guys that have recently left the army.

Comment

Working...
                                X