• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Joshua
    Searcher :)

• Joshua
    replied
    This thread is being closed to allow the ARW to stand down from IMO monitoring.

Until the next time.

Leave a comment:

• GoneToTheCanner
    C/S

• GoneToTheCanner
    replied
    Hi there
    They don't encourage onlookers! Seriously, though, at least two of our staff were on hand to prepare the aircraft and restore it to normal condition after the practises.I don't think they wear their full rig and they have to be careful of the aircraft so not all of the usual pyros are used.
    regards
    GttC

Leave a comment:

• hotshot
    Guest replied
    Hi GttC,

Real interested in the ARW. Please tell me more about the exercise you saw at the airport. Sounds dead cool. Was there alot of shooting and flashbangs and stuff? What weapons did they use? How many was there etc

thanks,
    Hotshot

military.ie

Leave a comment:

• Patriot
    liability

• Patriot
    replied
    just a thought on the article would it be reasonable to assume that the lads whose faces you could see clearly didnt make it in?

Leave a comment:

• silverside
    Corporal

• silverside
    replied
    gttc
    you have wa*kers at every level in every line of work, have no reason to disbelieve your story but wouldn't take it as any reflection on the ARW guys in general.

Leave a comment:

• GoneToTheCanner
    C/S

• GoneToTheCanner
    replied
    Hi all
    Just lately, the ARW were out in Dublin Airport practising entry into aircraft. An Airbus was made ready for them and they did their stuff. A slide was prepared for deployment,asa demo and several of them came over to watch it being "blown". One decided it would be intelligent to stand where the slide was due to fall. He was asked to move, and didn't,deciding that a sneer was a suitable reply. He was then ordered to get out of the way by the engineer,at the slide. He did so,with as much ill-grace as he could muster. Guess what? When the engineer triggered the slide,it landed exactly where the muppet had been standing. These slides can kill and have done! They should be treated with the same regard as pyrotechnics.Someone take that fool aside and have a word before he gets hurt.
    regards
    GttC

Leave a comment:

• Joshua
    Searcher :)

• Joshua
    replied
    Several posts following this one have been split off to another thread titled, " Heated Discussion" in General. Several more have been trash canned. Every time the ARW is discussed on this board it ends in tears. Please show some restraint and civility when posting.

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    Commander in Chief

• hptmurphy
    replied
    The training and standards of the RDF is not woeful...thats very unfair to those who try their best....It has been proved that units nad individuals can operate on a par with their PDF opposite numbers given a level playing pitch.

There are plenty of guys in the RDF who have gained their courses with PDF courses. RDF guys have been done down by muppets making comments like this and other people picking up on it.

75% in the RDF give it their damdest given the conditions..remember that we give of our own free time to supplement the notion of an army reserve which is decided far above the rank of an Army private posting here.

Some of the senior guys in the units will tell you of working expierence with FCA guys in the past....they turned when asked...with the little they had and got on with the job.

Far be it for some yellow pack to belittle the people who have given of their time to fall in the ranks with those who are paid to do the job.

As as far as the ARW thing goes....give us the resources..we will give you the people...after all the qualifications of the people with the RDF far outstrips those of many in the PDF.....what was a qualification for a cadet twenty years ago is now the basic requiremnet for a private soldiers enlistment.

Times have changed and so has the RDF..we have the people looking for the oppertunities..all they need is the right chance...

There are alot of people in the RDf who have gained their military qualifications by sitting on PDF course..if you now want to say that their training is woeful....look at the guys in the PDF also...it is changing slowly...but comments like yours will never help...Some of us in the RDF are well aware of our limitations......but if I was getting the time needed and income supplement..I could be as qualified as most of my rank in the DF......if we had the same status as the TA in the UK...well would we need so many yellowpacks......go figure
    hptmurphy
    Commander in Chief
    Last edited by hptmurphy; 16 October 2005, 21:50.

Leave a comment:

• apod
    Commander in Chief

• apod
    replied
    I stand corrected.

Leave a comment:

• DeV
    replied
    All the information I've posted is from An Cosantoir.

Leave a comment:

• apod
    Commander in Chief

• apod
    replied
    Does anyone else besides me think we are getting into dangerous ground here discussing the contents of a military course on an open forum?I will have to double check but isnt that against board rules?Correct me if i am wrong mods. :confused:
    As for some of the above comments as someone who attempted selection in the past but was binned due to injury and have seen some extremely well prepared and fit soldiers fail selection for various reasons.I will say this.Nothing stays the same .At the moment the level of training and professionalism in the rdf is woefull,through no fault of their own.
    In years to come that will change and i can definetly see integrated reserve troops being given the oppurtunity to try out.Some may even pass.But as to serving in the unit ,probably not.It would be too much of a security risk.

Leave a comment:

• DeV
    replied
    Originally posted by Itchy
    What other "confidence" tests are there?
    The confidence & ranger tests consist of:

Abseiling
    Bridge jump
    River crossing (for teamwork)
    Claustrophobia test
    Gym fitness test
    10 km run in 45 mins in PT gear
    7.5km cross country speed march with 30lb CEFO & weapon
    400m swim - fully clothed while pushing poncho raft and keeping weapon out of water and at the ready
    Forced road march with 45lbs CEFO
    Mountain walk with 45lbs CEFO
    Hill circuit run with 45lbs CEFO

The final test is a route march of over 26 miles in around 6 hours at the end of the "on the ground" phase.

Leave a comment:

• Bosco
    replied
    Originally posted by Goldie fish
    Done it in a Pool from 10m, that was bad enough. I'm not sure whether its the long pause between the jump from th eedge and hitting the water, or the long gap between when you begin to plunge towards the bottom, and when you begin to float back to the top.
    The Temperature of the water causing your Lungs to involuntarily exhale doesn't help either.
    Done something similar at one of the waterfalls in the clare glens, it was only about 15-20ft but who would have thought that water was that hard.

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    Tim Horgan

• Goldie fish
    replied
    Originally posted by Muzzle
    Ever tried it?
    Done it in a Pool from 10m, that was bad enough. I'm not sure whether its the long pause between the jump from th eedge and hitting the water, or the long gap between when you begin to plunge towards the bottom, and when you begin to float back to the top.
    The Temperature of the water causing your Lungs to involuntarily exhale doesn't help either.

Leave a comment:

• JAG
    replied
    Originally posted by Muzzle
    Ever tried it?
    No. But 20 metres isn't that far, and I would like to give it a go.

I like water.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X