No announcement yet.

Water on the ground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When was the last time you actually depended on river water?? Jesus, you can't drink most of the world's tap water. Why would you drink from a river considering that raw sewage or chemical waste is being pumped directly into most rivers at some stage. The idea of drinking river water was a fine idea about 200 years ago but not anymore.

Comment

I drink out of fast-flowing mountain streams (in Ireland) when up hiking in the mountains for a few days. You have to. Drop a few puri tabs in. If you're going out for 4 days you can't carry 20 litres of water! One rule when drinking in the mountains is that don't drink too much from a river in a valley with a forestry plantation cos they're sprayed from time to time with chemicals.

Comment

Ennis residents to Advise Tourists on Water

by John Cooke

Residents of Ennis and surrounding communities are being asked to advise tourists and visitors to the area about restrictions in place on the local water supply.
        A boil notice is back in operation on the local supply following a breakdown at the Drumcliff treatment station, which caused untreated water, with traces of e-coli, to be pumped through to local customers.
        People are advised to boil all water for human consumption, including baby feeds, ice and for brushing teeth.
        Town Engineer Tom Tiernan is assuring locals the precautionary measure will be lifted as soon as it's safe.

The above is taken directly from Clare FM's website. Pity there's no mountains in Clare.

Comment

Normally my three litre camelbak under the lid of my bergan when tabbing.When i get into patrol harbour/defensive posn i transfer it into my s&s bag.If i have to drop my bergan in a contact i have at least one poss. two waterbottles on my belt kit(depending on whether I am wearing my combat vest or plce)to survive from.
          you shouldnt go out expecting a resup allways expect the unexpected.what if your resup point is compromised or the resup heli/truck is hit up?
          Bottom line is allways have a reserve.One issue bottle isnt enough.On a recent 2-3* cse the students were told by the Lt to bring at least five litres of water with them.We did alot of tabbing and people drank more.as a result those who tried to be smart and carry only three litres or two ran out of water to brew up and started bumming off their mates.
          Tose kind of people in a live situation would be a liability as they expect the rest of the patrol/pln to carry them.In short lazy b******s who wont pull their weight.
          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

aa
            Last edited by Troddyn; 24 November 2005, 13:12.

Comment

Standard bottle/canteen in the CEFO, 1.8 litre platypus plus another 2 litres in the CEMO, that should do you fine. Ideally you should have a good stock of the puri-tablets in the webbing as well just in case.
              Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
              http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Comment

Originally posted by Troddyn
                Has anyone found a way of mounting the 3L thermobak (the gucci option in the post above) onto PLCE in such a way that the bergen doesn't crush it and which is comfortable. Also, has anyone tried the shower attatchment for it? It'd be quite a sight in the glen, a platoon lathering up at the six.
                A few years back, I bought a platypus carrier in England that fitted onto the issue bergen. It basically went onto the clips in place of the Rocket pouches with the rocket pouch being attached by zip only - basically between the rocket pouch and the bergen. Ingenious. Still use it when carrying the bergen. 2 Straps came with it to allow it to be carried like a camelbak but had no padding so I have never carried it like that.

Comment

i carry 1.5 litre camel and a 2 litre bottle in my bergen
                  Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

Comment

Just been "surfing" the net and came across the UK Armed Forces Nutrition Advisory Service. They have a few publications that my be of interest.

10 Top Tips on Hydration

Commanders Guide to Hydration

Recruits Guide to Nutrition

Commanders Guide to Nutrition

Comment

Good links DeV.

Comment

1lt canteen in cefo. 2lt platapus in backpack, and at least another 3 liters in reserve in the backpack
                        Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
                        Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
                        do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

Comment

we used to have 2 ltr platipus, 2ltr bottle extra and then water bottle in cefo.. and if we didnt have that in training we'd get a grilling!!

Comment

Working...
                          X