Water on the ground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water on the ground

How much water do you carry when going on the ground to do you 24 hours?

I used to carry just a 1 litre water bottle in my CEFO and a 2 litre platypus in my CEMO. Now I've added a 1 litre and a 2 litre bottle to my CEMO.

On summer camp we got a lesson on the new ration pack from the cook corporal, who stated that in order to release all the nutrients from the food you have to drink 5 litres of water. This obviously also hydrates you. Some of us including myself were a bit disbelieving when he said 5 litres. Now I know he was right.

1.5L platypus, 1.5L bottle and a 500ML canteen.
    It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

I too firmly in the pastbelieved that the single bottle in the pouch was sufficient for our climate.(with resupply). On my Pots course in 2001 we had the standard bottle, plus a 2litre collapsable bottle.However recently I am more inclined to go with the 6litre minimum,distribute it whatever way you like. Our Climate seems to have changed...
      Camelbacks are the ideal solution, at they don't slosh about much as you empty them. Nothing noisier than a half full water bottle.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV
        How much water do you carry when going on the ground to do you 24 hours?
        2L on my CEFO which I drink from last. 2L platypus in patrol pack. Depending on the weight of my pack, I can usually get another litre in there somewhere. Drink from the backpack water first and then the CEFO.

Then again it depends on what type of 24hr you are doing. A long march in means bringing more water.

Comment

3Litre camelback,plus two issue waterbottles on cefo.
          Water requirements change depending on tasking/temperature.For fibua or c.b.r.n carry more.In warm weather obviously carry more.
          The issue flask is a great idea,you can brew up in your steel mug and if you dont want to use the water there and then you can pour it back into the flask till it cools and then reuse it for cold drinks.
          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

1.5 ltr platypus in my webbing

3 ltr jug and 1 ltr flask in my bergen/pack

Heavy as hell, but gets lighter as you go.
            To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

How do you have a platypus in your webb?
              Do you not carry a canteen?
              It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

lots and lots as much as I can carry.
                Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

just my canteen with re-supply.. that does me plenty all the rest i think would be too much, well for me anyway.
                  Cheers Bernard......

Comment

Originally posted by Bam Bam
                    How do you have a platypus in your webb?
                    Do you not carry a canteen?

Should fit in a waterbottle pouch

Though for the real bling bling value:

Comment

The reasons:

Fits into water bottle pouch

1.5 ltr as opposed to 1 ltr flask

easy to store when empty

I've rigged the hose so that it leads up to my left shoulder strap, that means no fiddling about in pouches when I need a drink.

Less movement when I need a drink

Less noise when I need a drink

No air bubbles as I drink from it so no sloshing about as platypus shrinks
                      To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

aa
                        Last edited by Troddyn; 24 November 2005, 12:10.

Comment

All your CEFO should contain is

Water and Slaughter(Rounds, Rounds and More Rounds and for variety Grenades)
                          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by Troddyn
                            Has anyone found a way of mounting the 3L thermobak (the gucci option in the post above) onto PLCE in such a way that the bergen doesn't crush it and which is comfortable.
                            My platypus is in a carrier, similar to the DPM one above. When wearing CEMO I put it underneath the flap of the bergen and secure it with two clips so it doesn't move around too much. Then I can very quickly get it off and put it on my back when required.

Comment

aa
                              Last edited by Troddyn; 24 November 2005, 12:10.

Comment

Working...
                              X