New RDF Regulations (R.5)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New RDF Regulations (R.5)

The new RDF Regulations (R.5) came into force on 1 October 2005. I've just seen a copy of it. DFRs are not restricted and therefore I post a few interesting posts here.

New recruits now have a 6 month probation period. They must complete at least 24 hours of training within that period. The CO must send a report on the reservist to the GOC, if they are reported as being unsuitable for service, they may apply for a different grade within the RDF or be discharged.

The only course that must be done for promotion from private 3* to BSM is a Pot NCOs Course, unless it is based on meritorious service or distinguished conduct.

Acting ranks can only be obtained during full time training.

You enlist for 3 years initally. You can extend your service to up to 12 years by reapplying every 3 years. If you are under 39 (under 29 if enlisted on/after 1/10/05), after 9 years you can apply to extend your service to make a total of 21 years. After 20 years you can apply to extend your service in 4 years periods up to the age of 60 (50 if enlisted on/after 1/10/05).

To be eligible for nomination to be an officer, you must be of an NCO of good character, satisfactory education, keen, under 35 (on date of Interview Board), complete the required training, be medically fit, be recommended by the GOC's interview board.

However, an person (including a private) who holds a degree/diploma/usefull qualification may be nominated to be an officer, if they are under 45 (on the date of Interview Board), medically fit, recommended by an Interview Board (nominated by the COS).

To be an engineer officer they must hold a degree in Engineering / Architecture / be a Member of the Royal Institute of Architects of Ireland / be a Corporate Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers of Ireland / be a Graduate member of the Institute of Electrical Engineers / the Institution of Mechanical Engineers.

Lieutenants (commissioned before 1/10/05) may on the recommendation of the Chief of Staff, be promoted to the rank of Captain after 15 years service as an officer, provided they have done fulltime training in 3 of the last 5 years, satisfactory rating on annual report in last 5 years, recommended by the GOC and Dir Reserve.

Lieutenants (commissioned before 1/10/05) may on the recommendation of the Chief of Staff, be promoted to the rank of Captain after a min of 5 years service as an officer, provided they have done fulltime training in 3 of the last 5 years, satisfactory rating on annual report in last 5 years, assessed as suitable by promotion board, recommended by the GOC and Dir Reserve.

The criteria for promotion from Captain to Comdt and to Lt Col shall be laid down in Admin Instructions. Promotion to Lt Col will only be for a 5 year period and then reverted to Comdt.

Retirement Ages commissioned before 1/10/05 (after 1/10/05)
    Lt Col - 58 (58)
    Comdt - 57 (56)
    Capt - 55 (54)
    2/Lt & Lt - 55 (53)
    Medical / Dental / Engineer Officer - 65 (65)

R5 doesn't allow RDF officers to serve overseas (unless aboard a State ship).

Attendance at training is on a voluntary basis.

To be retained as an effective member you must complete 48 hours of training, 24 hours are awarded for attend a max of a 1 week camp. If enlisted after 1 January - 4 hours training per month (for that year). In addition, members of the NSR may be required to spend 40 hours afloat.

One days pay is awardable for courses of over 20 hours (eg 2 days pay for weekend courses).

You must attend a camp in order to qualify for gratuity.
    Levels of Gratuity:
    Lt Col - € 274.79
    Officers (2/Lt - Comdt) - € 183.31
    NCOs - € 144.45
    Ptes - € 106.13
    Last edited by DeV; 13 December 2005, 20:22.

Originally posted by DeV
    Retirement Ages commissioned before 1/10/05 (after 1/10/05)
    Lt Col - 58 (58)
    Comdt - 57 (56)
    Capt - 55 (54)
    2/Lt & Lt - 55 (53)
    Medical / Dental / Engineer Officer - 65 (65)
    There's an interesting loophole. I wonder if we will see officers holding engineering
    degrees looking to transfer to an engineering company as they approach retirement?
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

Just checked it three times, no, orginal post is correct. Basically, it means that Lieutenants must have been an officerfor a minimum of 5 years to be eligable for promotion to Captain. Whereas the first quote relates to the "automatic" (term used loosely) promotion.

Comment

Where can you get a copy of the new R5 dev

Comment

15 years just means a good NCO didn't get the opportunity to frag u yet.

Comment

Is it cheating for an RDFRA member to have a document that isn't available [ and should be ] on the RDFRA website ?
            "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

The new R5 is now available on the rdfra website in .pdf format.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV
                The new R5 is now available on the rdfra website in .pdf format.
                http://www.rdfra.ie/regulations/r5.shtml
                The bit which caught my eye after a quick flick through it is that the age limit for stand down from service for enlisted personnel has changed from 60 to 50, for anyone enlisting from 1 Oct 2005 onwards...
                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver
                  The bit which caught my eye after a quick flick through it is that the age limit for stand down from service for enlisted personnel has changed from 60 to 50, for anyone enlisting from 1 Oct 2005 onwards...
                  Thats a good thing its a shame they can't bring it in as a whole.

We all no officers and senior NCOs who are 50+ and could easily stand down.
                  I went into an Italian restaurant and ordered dessert and they gave me tiramisu and a blindfolded horse and I said No, I said mask a pony (mascarpone)

Comment

Originally posted by Liachta Cultaca
                    Thats a good thing its a shame they can't bring it in as a whole.

We all no officers and senior NCOs who are 50+ and could easily stand down.
                    Why do you say that?

That's another 10 years of valuable experience gone in the NCO ranks. The individual may not be able to run around the forests like he did at 25, but I'm sure that the wealth of experience could still be brought to bear in other aspects of training, e.g; driving/weapons instruction, etc...
                    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Dear Sgt O'Brien

Thank you for your many years service with the reserve, we appreicate that you gave up many weekends over the years depsite the protestations of your /wife/girlfriend/family, and that you took at least 25% of your annual holiday entitlement to spend it training your recruits in the glen every year because we in the department couldnt be bother organising some time off for you.

I note from your file that you recently reached 50 years of age, why do you now f*ck off and spend your weekends hauling yourself around B&Q and digging your garden

Sincerely

G Marx
                      Minister
                      You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver
                        Why do you say that?
                        That's another 10 years of valuable experience gone in the NCO ranks.
                        The individual may not be able to run around the forests like he did at 25, but I'm
                        sure that the wealth of experience could still be brought to bear in other aspects
                        of training, e.g; driving/weapons instruction, etc...
                        I think when you are in the reserve possibly over 33 years, that you become complacent in your position, you MAY are not open to new systems , teachings doctrines etc...

I think the senior NCOs and Officers they say in the position till retirement age may stiffle progress in the Reserve, I do think the the age profile needs to be reduced as a whole
                        I went into an Italian restaurant and ordered dessert and they gave me tiramisu and a blindfolded horse and I said No, I said mask a pony (mascarpone)

Comment

Working...
                        X