Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    yeah, i feel an Alanis Morissette song coming over me!!!

Leave a comment:

• trellheim
    replied
    Yossarian seen wandering the barracks !

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Relatively Sane
    This is a real clever one. You can't get in barracks without uniform/clearance, and you can't get uniform without going into barracks
    That's the Irish army for you!!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    to be fair, the reason most recruits leave is because the first six months or so is spent waiting for clearance, waiting for uniforms, and generally waiting around for anything half way decent to happen. Refusing to issue uniforms is only going to encourage more to leave. Also, new regs in cathal brugha are that nobody is allowed train without uniforms. This is a real clever one. You can't get in barracks without uniform/clearance, and you can't get uniform without going into barracks (unless someone shoves it out through the hole in the fence)

Leave a comment:

• trellheim
    replied
    In fairness people are entitled to the issue kit;it's not by any means expansive; it's up to the Q and the C/S to talk to each other look at parade states and haul uniforms back off non-effectives.

Where there is a problem is the 'shiny kit' syndrome - e.g. wet suits - they are held on a pool basis but who gives theirs back ?

Leave a comment:

• Loque
    replied
    The best solution is as Big Al has stated, annoy non-paraders with phone calls until they return their kit. If they won't give it back send the friendly MP's around, I'm sure they've nothing else better to do.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Kit

The only problem with that is the catch-22 it creates - if we don’t issue our recruits with the kit they need on recruit, we will be faced with the problem of the second issue being left on the long finger and quite possibly people never getting issued with some items of kit. In fairness, who here has got their full issue yet? I think the only solution is to give the full issue initially but ensure that anybody not turning up must turn in their kit.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    The main problem is that recruits just drop out unofficially and don't bother handing in their uniform. If they are actually discharged, they have to hand it back. I think they should only be given the minimum until recruit camp is over.

Leave a comment:

• Big Al
    replied
    I do think it is a waste, i think the smock costs 170 quid alone however do we want treat our recurits as second class soliders? surely that isnt the way to encourage their commitment. I think perhaps a few questions when they are joining up like can you make the commitment for the next 12 months and a bit of "severe" cofd experience on the sqaure before they are issued kit would weed out the drop outs quicker.

Another policy that could be looked at is ringing non paraders, ask they why they arent comming back, a lot of parents (and lets face it most of the recurits live at home) would be sick of the fca ringing their house every week looking for an absent recurit and that would either get them to turn up or get them off the books

Leave a comment:

• Bravo20
    replied
    It happened before, it has been happening since the foundation of the organisation, the problem is that it happens on an ad-hoc basis.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Reclaiming Issed Kit

Has anybody else had experience of kit been taken back?
    Funnily enough, we’ve managed to keep our recruits from last year so it hasn’t happened up here, but I’d love to know it was going on elsewhere in the DF. I know by the amount of builders, etc wearing old Green uniforms that it didn’t happen before, but I think it would reflect well on the new RDF if DPMs didn’t become fashion items.

Leave a comment:

• trellheim
    replied
    Strange - you think you're the only one ... and then ... However you are encouraged to look at the following :

R5 Para 171; Defence Act 1954 Para 157;Defence Act 1954 Para 245

available on the web in the usual public domain locations.

Leave a comment:

• Loque
    replied
    Bravo20, we used to do this unofficially, all returned uniforms went into a "Rag Pool" , sometimes some of this kit was given out as spare.

Leave a comment:

• Bravo20
    replied
    Not anymore, pre-used uniforms can be dry cleaned and issued out as spares and replacements (not initial issue). A good CQ will ensure that all uniforms are returned and a stock is kept (for emergencies).

Leave a comment:

• Loque
    replied
    Well, it's a waste giving recruits the full kit as most of them give up the RDF after the first camp/year or service. In my unit they try dish out the gear as needed but recruits get priority because they have nothing whereas the lifers have most of the gear. Even if a uniform is returned without being worn it is still susposed to be destroyed, this is a real waste of clothing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X