Cutting troop numbers overseas ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting troop numbers overseas ?

Is that the plan to cut troop numbers overseas ? Personally I thought the number of troops overseas would increase in the next few years with the RRF and RDF being eligible for overseas UN missions.

What I am reading is that we are top heavy overseas, and this is about reducing the amount of ossifers, probably so they can put more regular bodies on the ground.
    Meh.

Comment

on RTE news the brass reckoned there was a massive demand for officers overseas. Personally I think the more officers that serve overseas the better. Its good experience for them.

Comment

Originally posted by andy
        on RTE news the brass reckoned there was a massive demand for officers overseas. Personally I think the more officers that serve overseas the better. Its good experience for them.
        Of course the brass is going to say that, they're the ones going on these observer missions. Would having them actually doing their jobs in Ireland not be a better experience for them?
        "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Brilliant piece of Tactics by RACO,

Officers are in big demand for overseas postings and its getting to a stage where lads are been detailed to go, in fact Junior Capts are going out in Senior Comdt appointments.

RACO has cleverly brought to the publics attention how great a job they are doing overseas and they have forced the minister to acknowledge this.

The minister and the dept has now committed themselves to a policy of trying to establish ongoing career advancement courses for officer who are detailed to go overseas

the lads now in effect have there cake and then can eat it as well

they can go overseas, earn the mega bucks, tick the correct boxes and simultaneously do the career advancement courses

well done RACO

PDFORRA on the other hand, whilst we have the exact same problem, spend there convention arguing the tiniest of minuate of pure and utter shite

AGHHHHHH
          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

I think RACO is trying to say that because their is a shortage of officers, the current ones trips overseas are too close together - every 2/3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by FMolloy
              Of course the brass is going to say that, they're the ones going on these observer missions. Would having them actually doing their jobs in Ireland not be a better experience for them?
              Well there seems to be enough officers here at the moment and they need a serious amount of soliders just to keep them in jobs.

Sending them overseas means that there are more positions here at home, there are more oppurtunities to lead at home, vital experience of overseas missions is gained and Irelands reputation and international obligations are met.

Comment

Well there seems to be enough officers here at the moment and they need a serious amount of soliders just to keep them in jobs
                I am a firm beleiver in the fact if you want to play soccer you abide by the offside rule

and if you want to soldier, you have to have officers

How many officers are there that are actually doing there job

It was said to me by a Brit overseas, that If our Officers were actually doing there jobs, we woulndt need pdforra

is there a need for them in this day and age

most of the day to day running of the units is in the hands of the nco ranks

nco's now bring people onto the range

nco's do duty officers in a number of barracks

nco's have gone to court instead of officers

noc's regularly make training programmes and such like

have they actually weaseled themselves out of a job

thoughts, and points of view required on the above

especially Ground Hog- Herr Flick and JPB

Comment

Well there seems to be enough officers here at the moment and they need a serious amount of soliders just to keep them in jobs.
                  Not according to RACO, they say there's not enough of them.

Sending them overseas means that there are more positions here at home, there are more oppurtunities to lead at home, vital experience of overseas missions is gained and Irelands reputation and international obligations are met.
                  What vital experience is gained on observer missions?
                  "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog
                    thoughts, and points of view required on the above

especially Ground Hog- Herr Flick and JPB
                    But if you didn't have officers, NCOs would have nobody to blame.....

Comment

In the new CS 4 and 41 there are two senior appointments for blameworthy Cpl's

I used to occupy it when I was a CPl

I am provocking debate here

as an Officer Docman, what do you do that couldnt be done by a Sgt or even a Cpl

Comment

Bang goes the reserves chances of going on a little holiday abroad :tri:

Comment

It has been accepted that NCOs run the army...officers only rubber stamp it..but in some spheres officers will never put their careers on the line and risk their pensions..so why should an NCO do it for them..although in most legal pleadings from what I've seen...courts have been slow to name particular individuals only ..appintments..the sooner individuals and not appointments are held accountable for actions ..only then can the DF move on!
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by FMolloy
                            What vital experience is gained on observer missions?
                            The experience of being an unarmed international UN observer, often operating behind the lines and in very dangerous situations, while often only having 1 other observer to help you.

Comment

Ive heard that the observer missions are a doddle. occording to a guy in the aer corps who i worked with. hjes a commandent?!

Comment

Working...
                              X