Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stameen soldier
    [TRANSLATION]I wanna know when I'm gonna be corporal [/TRANSLATION]
    I asked docman that recently........... Interesting answer.

From what i've been told you can ask to see these reports under the fredom of info act but don't quote me on that. No harm in asking.
    Last edited by happenin; 6 December 2005, 19:39.
    Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
    Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
    do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

Comment

its abit like signing your own death warrant...
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

For the sake of clarity, I will go over this again.

An annual report on an NCO/Officer cannot be filed until it is signed by the individual being reported on. Don't be paranoid about reports you haven't seen because there aren't any.

The other reports referred to above seem to be concerned with individual performance on a course or exercise and might be held in your file without your signature but their existance is (to my knowledge) not required by DFR's and I believe they would not have much (as much) bearing on a decision for promotion (than your annual report). If reports on individual performance are required after an exercise I would like to know more ?.

Reports on courses completed I believe are limited to Pass/Fail with exceptions such as PPO, PO and PNCO's.
        No Beast so fell that knows no pity,
        No Beast am I, For I know no pity...

Comment

Any course I have been on in the past (PNCO,SNCO) at the end of same you were read what was in your report, so you knew what the course instructors were going to tell your unit.
          In any case, it was up to the unit to accept or reject the opinions given in those reports.
          However, given that this style of appraisal is common in all careers these days, its only a matter of time before we se it accross the board in the DF, and if it is handled properly, it can only be a good thing.

However, if it is not handled correctly.....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

In addition the so called "log book" of thinks that you must do to gain promotion to the next rank will be introduced next year.

Comment

Af667

The document for NCO's annual appraisels used in the PDF is the AF667, due to be used as part of the re-org (Have yet to see it in use!). This is quite an imressive and detailed doucment in comparison to the AF451 RDF officers annual confidential report.

Comment

is quite an imressive and detailed doucment in comparison to the AF451 RDF officers annual confidential report.
                Wow thats a fair damming statement of the AF 451 then 667's are completed in respect of NCO's and Pte's- they are a worthless document because they are completed on a subjective basis. By that I mean it is entirely the opinion of your reporting officer ( except if you have charges).

The 667 should be changed to an objective criteria based on your performance on the previous year but thats a lot of work so it will never happen what does occur is most unit commanders do 1 of many things:

ie-

(1) fill it in using strict criteria that is applicable ONLY in his unit- therefore you are at a marked disadvantage when it comes to interviews with others from units whose CO doesnt have the same strict criteria

(2) - Fill it in the way mother Thresa would- every one is great - your the best I have ever seen- this is the lazy way that is taken for the sake of pleasing everyone- but it significantly puts the guy in example (1) at a disadvantage this CO ensures his reports are never redressed because everyone likes them.

(3) A Co who takes the middle ground and goes for average on everything- There is a sgt in my unit who is a good guy and what he does a couple of months after his 667 has been read is claim it under the FOI. He compiles them in a folder and makes a graph of improvements or disimprovements under the various categories.
                When the 667 is read he brings the folder with him and makes the CO justify every single discrepancy. It's got to the stage where he co are that afraid that he invaribly gets an outstanding 667.
                Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

That's the way to play the game alright!

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog
                    Wow thats a fair damming statement of the AF 451 then 667's are completed in respect of NCO's and Pte's- they are a worthless document because they are completed on a subjective basis. By that I mean it is entirely the opinion of your reporting officer ( except if you have charges).

The 667 should be changed to an objective criteria based on your performance on the previous year but thats a lot of work so it will never happen what does occur is most unit commanders do 1 of many things:

ie-

(1) fill it in using strict criteria that is applicable ONLY in his unit- therefore you are at a marked disadvantage when it comes to interviews with others from units whose CO doesnt have the same strict criteria

(2) - Fill it in the way mother Thresa would- every one is great - your the best I have ever seen- this is the lazy way that is taken for the sake of pleasing everyone- but it significantly puts the guy in example (1) at a disadvantage this CO ensures his reports are never redressed because everyone likes them.

(3) A Co who takes the middle ground and goes for average on everything- There is a sgt in my unit who is a good guy and what he does a couple of months after his 667 has been read is claim it under the FOI. He compiles them in a folder and makes a graph of improvements or disimprovements under the various categories.
                    When the 667 is read he brings the folder with him and makes the CO justify every single discrepancy. It's got to the stage where he co are that afraid that he invaribly gets an outstanding 667.

That man's using the head alright !

Wonder if he got advice on the matter ..... JAG !!!
                    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Where is jag lately. Did the persistant moderation and pissing him off finally get to him??? A loss to the board if you ask me.
                      Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
                      Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
                      do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

Comment

This Re-Org never ceases to amaze.
                        As for accuracy, presumably the missile carries MRVs with terminal phase sensors and guidance.

Comment

The annual reports for RDF NCOs are being introduced either this year or next year.

Who fills them out it is unit or sub-unit commander?

Comment

Hi all
                            How real are the assessments? I've heard of people being damned for not spending time in the pub, "bonding" with the lads or for not being hurling fanatics. Might be a good soldier but doesn't follow the right team,etc. I'm am quite cynical about these things as there is too much scope for the old pals act and not enough for real merit.
                            regards
                            GttC

Comment

Depends on the unit, but potentially agree with you Gttc

Either way - they are coming in & they will have an effect on your career!

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner
                                Hi all
                                How real are the assessments? I've heard of people being damned for not spending time in the pub, "bonding" with the lads or for not being hurling fanatics. Might be a good soldier but doesn't follow the right team,etc. I'm am quite cynical about these things as there is too much scope for the old pals act and not enough for real merit.
                                regards
                                GttC
                                And the current system is not subject to the old pals act? [see the thread on selection for courses]

Comment

Working...
                                X