F.i.b.u.a. / D.i.b.u.a. / M.o.u.t.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F.i.b.u.a. / D.i.b.u.a. / M.o.u.t.

Did the 7th Bn do the exercise planned for fort davis?
    Any war stories?

was there a number of reserve units used in the exercise, ie S.M. , engineers etc? :flagwave:

there was a good few units, the 7bn (obviously), meds, cav, spare tires, sigs, engineers, & the ns.
    You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

The Exercise involved the 7bn, LE Aoife, 11 Cav (only 1 driver I think) 11 FST, 2 FD Med Coy, 11 Fd Engineers, 11 CIS and DS's from the 5bn. As well as observers from the 13 inf Bn and Naval service.

In my opinion and by all accounts the Lower level of the Fort is Much Better than the Top level which is too open for proper Fibua drills. The Lower level is Full of Small Rooms/Alcoves/tunnels/windows/ etc to make it almost the same as clearing a street. The overgrowth also gives it an extra edge as does lack of lighting in the Buildings. The Format and intensity of the Attack on the fort really gets the drills going well and shows how easy a reorg can be done in the middle of a battle. There were enemy everywhere but i have to say it went very well.

As for Fort Davis You'd never take the place in a million years. It was Built to last that place!!

Friends Come and Go, but Enemies accumulate!!

Comment

my sentments exactily but with one diffrence.... i prefer the upper level! Bailer didnt have to do the tunnel fighting as my platoon did... it was tough as hell have a section made combat ineffective and another lost the 2 i/c's, even my section lost a man... but only one, not to mention the smoke grenade in the tunnel.... brings back bad memories!!
        Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

http://www.iamawesome.com/

Comment

all i can say is youse lucky bastards!!! cant see them ever letting us out from donegal to do that!

Comment

Thing is Inf Boy FIBUA is now a major part of the syllabus and all units will have to do it (I believe the 8bn is doing it in Sept.) But Fort Davis is definately the Place to do it in. Although Saying that the The amount of funding required for the Exercise must have been huge..

Pay
            Rations
            Accomodation
            Transport.
            Ammunition
            Naval and PDF Duty allowances etc.
            so shhhhhhh!!! don't tell Charlie McCreavey

Yeah Tim as soon as we saw the Smoke in the Tunnel we Knew you were gonners. So we went out the Far End and Smoked it some more ( 3 grendes at once) We were able to move out of the Tunnel becasue no one could see a F*cking thing for about 100 meters each way.

Yeehhaaawww!!!

Comment

... i think your mistaken! i didnt die! we lost one lad from my section, section 1 lost 3, and section 3 lost 5!!! thus combat ineffective! i brought my resperatior with me and put it on in the tunnel! and the PDF ds refed it off me! told me to put it away that it wasnt a chemical attack!
              Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

Comment

Yeah I heard you had problems with your Ski Googles aswell (not you personally) You know wearing Ski Goggles in a tunnel is a bit like using NVE in the Daylight i.e. you can see **** all. BTW that came from the PDF DS not me. You were affectionatley Dubbed The Mogadishu Platoon after that!!

Comment

i thought the gucci kit was a bit much myself too.... but it was better than the 58 pattern shite we were issued for it! but for the elbow pads/knee pads, they are worth their weight in gold!

Comment

Great ex but a long journey in the back of a truck, would not like to try that from donegal

Comment

I had good craic being the enemy on that one. Working with the eingineers opened a brand new vein of mayhem.

It was good to see my booby trap go off.

The delights in watching an entire platoon regroup in the middle of a road infront of 20 enemy. Twas a joy to behold.

Comment

Obua/fibua

[MOD: Merge]

Have any of the board members carried out OBUA/ FIBUA training. What is their opinion of it.

Comment

I understand stameen is in the process of writing an article for an cosantoir..

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

In 2002, I spent a week doing FIBUA in the Glen.

The theory lectures and some demos were done before camp.

Started with basic room clearing drills in one of the old billets in Coolmoney with walls made of blankets placed over ropes.

Then spent around 3 days attacking a derelict farm about 15 minutes drive from the camp. An excellent location - house has 3 rooms downstairs (upstairs isn't safe), a small barn, 2 outhouses each with 2/3 rooms.

The last full day was spent at the Ratra House (the Civil Defence School) in the Phoenix Park, excellent (if small) location. 3/4 storey tower, church, building with a good few rooms etc

We were supposed to go to Fort Davis in September / October of that year but it was cancelled due to transport problems.

FIBUA has to be done by RDF units. But it should be ONLY once they have truely mastered section and platoon attacks in field type section/platoon attacks.

Comment

Agreed on the last point. We recently ran a Fibua ex with relatively inexperienced troops where FIBUA was emphasised in the run up rather than fieldcraft. The results made this obvious. It is much easier to learn how to move and operate as a section/platoon in conventional operations,and then adapt it to a FIBUA situation.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                              X