Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Curragh vs Sandhurst / Dartmouth

salut mes amis,

i have just joined the board today and spent some time reading over current and older posts - interesting, and funny, stuff.

as you can probably tell from the title of this post i am interested to gauge current opinion on the irish model of officer selection/training compared to our nearest neighbours in the north eastern atlantic archipaelego.

with next year's cadetship compo just around the corner i have one final crack at old eire's officer ranks - i completed, submitted, viva'd and passed my phd in june (yeah me). but this year and for the forseeable future this competition is going to be tight and to be honest, and i've been drinking, i have absolutely no qualms about joining/serving the RN or BA or RAF for that matter as long as i have a commission. whilst i read for my u/grad degree i was in 'a' UOTC and had the most wonderful experiences of (any) army life. i also went on a potential officers' trip aboard a type 23 frigate (somerset, though i shouldn't really say) and the navy is equally appealing - though as somebody has pointed out recently, they have rather large beer bellies - i can testify to that, the food in the wardroom c'etait fantastique - and silver service - plus there is the added bonus of merely being proxy killers.

i suppose what i'm trying to say is the possibilities are myriad in HM service, but what of dear old eire. the only fear i would have would be that my family or friends might suffer should some rogue republican take a dislike to my capbadge, but do they really recognise the cap badges of the real oglaigh na heireann in anycase. damned those dissidents.

let me know what you think, or if you can unravel what i have attempted to say (please bear in mind i'm living in the french metropolis and wine is cheaper than pringles).
    Cannon to right of them,
    Cannon to left of them,
    Cannon in front of them
    Volley'd and thunder'd;
    Storm'd at with shot and shell,
    Boldly they rode and well,
    Into the jaws of Death,
    Into the mouth of Hell
    Rode the six hundred.

Seen as your in paris go and join the foreign legion. Theyll sort you out

Comment

Ok. I'd say go with the ba for the opertunities an officer there has to be a soldier compared to those here. But Rod and Serpant or other members of her majesty's forces would be able to offer more concrete advice.
      Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
      Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
      do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

Comment

Originally posted by happenin
        ...an officer there has to be a soldier compared to those here...
        Eh, sorry? Are you serious?
        Sex - Breakfast of Champions!

Comment

British Army- Stg£26,000 for graduate cate, 1 year commissioning course, promotion to Captain c. 3 years after commissioning, lower tax rates, greater opportunity for travel

Irish Army- Maximum €25,000, 15 month (minimum) commissioning course, promotion to captain...????....., higher tax rates
          Take these men and women for your example.
          Like them, remember that posterity can only
          be for the free; that freedom is the sure
          possession of those who have the
          courage to defend it.
          Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
          If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

Irish Army - Can expect to be posted close to where you live. I.e. Dubs live and work in Dublin, Corkies in Cork etc....

British Army - Dont expect to be anywhere near anything. Expect to spend time far far away, and get to meet loads of lovely fraulines when your living in Deutschland

Comment

The BA sounds good!!!
              What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Can expect to be posted close to where you live. I.e. Dubs live and work in Dublin, Corkies in Cork etc....

The normal trend for newly commisioned officers is for them not to get the unit where they are from.They could get the brigade but usually do not get based in the town city they are from.
                Last edited by Slaphead; 17 December 2005, 14:23.

Comment

the bald man is correct
                  Amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

On a technicality, ok same brigade area, my point is that you wont be far from home, and i know of newly commissioned officers from dublin based in both mckee and the brugha. And if you join the Brits you will be based far away.

With the irish army you will be based a small bit away, but with the brits you will be far away.........

Comment

Originally posted by lefty
                      And if you join the Brits you will be based far away.

With the irish army you will be based a small bit away, but with the brits you will be far away.........

Not always, but sometimes.

Comment

Join the British army you shall see the world like it or not. Join the Irish army and you will be dying to see the world! If you go to Britain there is a much bigger chance of seeing "action" if you want that. Or if you are worried about RA heads knocking on your parents doors and still want zie "action", you could bugger off to the States, Canada or France.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruledbyjames
                          Join the British army you shall see the world like it or not. Join the Irish army and you will be dying to see the world! If you go to Britain there is a much bigger chance of seeing "action" if you want that. Or if you are worried about RA heads knocking on your parents doors and still want zie "action", you could bugger off to the States, Canada or France.

Why should he be worried about the Royal Artillery.

Comment

Eeelmonster - good luck with whatever you decide... I'm hoping to go to the BA too so email me if you want any advice...

By the way, not that it really matters but I think promotion to captain is after 2 years for graduates... and the 26,000stg is for full lieutenants (did i spell that right?)...

As for your concerns about the IRA... well they are valid but hopefully that sort of rubbish is diminishing now...

Tricam.
                            tricam

Comment

Originally posted by tricam
                              Eeelmonster - good luck with whatever you decide... I'm hoping to go to the BA too so email me if you want any advice...

By the way, not that it really matters but I think promotion to captain is after 2 years for graduates... and the 26,000stg is for full lieutenants (did i spell that right?)...

As for your concerns about the IRA... well they are valid but hopefully that sort of rubbish is diminishing now...

Tricam.

or better still you could ask somebody who knows.

Comment

Working...
                              X