Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What makes a good training / section room?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes a good training / section room?

What do you think makes a good general purpose training room for teaching fieldcraft, tactics & map reading lessons etc..?

Is it the use of good training aids, posters, projectors etc...

What are your experiences and what advice would you give about setting up a good section room?

I think it's 99% instructor/teacher and 1% equipment/venue, etc.

Having said that, I'm a big fan of the Powerpoint type projector (unfortunately expensive) just because you can preload your presentation onto a memory stick, and can have all types of graphics, pictures, photos, etc, interspersed through your slideshow.

But at the end of the day, it's all down to the instructor to make even the boring topics into something dynamic, interesting and attention getting. No small task in a military setting.

Later.
    No-one, I think, is in my tree...

Comment

I agree with Strummer. Any room will do, But a good place to start is to have all the usual aids there, Sandtable(preferably of somewhere local where you can take them for tactical exercises so they can compare actual geological feaures to those on your table.), whiteboard, Pictures of weapons, A projector is a luxury that most units can now afford with ease so i don't see why one can't be provided. But the most important thing that is a must have is a good instructor. All of these are a big waste of time if you can't use them properly.
      Last edited by happenin; 15 December 2005, 20:20.
      Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
      Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
      do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

Comment

The room should be clean, warm, well ventilated and well lite. I'd recommend chairs with the small tables at the sides and opposed to desks.

If the class is uncomfortable they won't learn a lot.

The room should be free from distraction - keep posters etc to the back of the room, windows should be covered. Obviously a chalk or a white board is required and it should be cleaned regularly.

Access to a computer and projector would be an excellent aid. As would access to a TV and video.

The instructor is one of the vital parts of the lesson.

Comment

If you're using some form of technology, be it anything from a laptop and projector down to a laser pointer, always always always have a lowtech backup with which you can give the exact same lecture, or one of equivalent value. And only give handouts after the lecture, if you give them out before everyone will go asleep.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry
            And only give handouts after the lecture, if you give them out before everyone will go asleep.
            For a long and/or complicated lesson I would give them out before, as from experience in college, it can help to be able to take notes on the notes (if you get me) during the lesson.

Comment

Lectures are different, dont know bout u but i find it very difficult to stay awake or pay attention in college lectures.
              Faugh A Ballagh

Comment

And anyway military lessons are almost always practical based and hands on, there shouldnt be any need to give loads of handouts, which cretain corporals and sergeants i know seem to be obsessed with. If someone needs handouts to tell them how to strip a steyr or how to read a map then there is something seriously wrong with the person in question or quality of the instructors teaching
                Faugh A Ballagh

Comment

Originally posted by strummer
                  I'm a big fan of the Powerpoint
                  You sir are a cad! Boo this man, BOO!

The best way to instruct is to use humour (professionally) involve the class and make the subject poignant, interesting and useful.But above all be prepared to improvise.

I once gave a class on how to construct a field expedient antennae that was cut to Freq (the wrong freq as it turns out :confused: ) realizing the potential fiasco(it was a graded class) I had the students constructing their own antennae ( mine was just used as a visual aid) and it all went well.Measure twice cut once :wink:
                  When I breeze into that city, people gonna stoop and bow.
                  All them women gonna make me, teach 'em what they don't know how

Comment

And you Sir are a (MOD: Pesonal insults are not acceptable strummer) !!! Talk about quoting me out of context !!! Are you looking for a job with the New York Times or something? You know I meant the projector type thingy (aren't they universally known as powerpoint projectors now?) because it is the all purpose tool, it can be used for the dreaded powerpoints, or as a projetion TV, overheads, etc, etc.

I'll expect a full apology or failing that I want a "man on the inside" the next time I might need something from Bragg !!!
                    Last edited by DeV; 31 December 2005, 14:18.

Comment

Zing!!
                      When I breeze into that city, people gonna stoop and bow.
                      All them women gonna make me, teach 'em what they don't know how

Comment

Originally posted by strummer
                        And you Sir are a bastard !!! Talk about quoting me out of context !!! Are you looking for a job with the New York Times or something? You know I meant the projector type thingy (aren't they universally known as powerpoint projectors now?) because it is the all purpose tool, it can be used for the dreaded powerpoints, or as a projetion TV, overheads, etc, etc.

I'll expect a full apology or failing that I want a "man on the inside" the next time I might need something from Bragg !!!
                        powerpoint
                        "Hello, Good Evening and Bollocks..."

Roger Mellie

Comment

Ex-Pat...i'm sure you and your long tab buddies at Bragg are all very smug and smarmy with your tricked out BDU's and open checkbook budgets etc.

But this is the tab I'm most proud of...
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bulldemboots!
                            What do you think makes a good general purpose training room for teaching fieldcraft, tactics & map reading lessons etc..?
                            Um- about 200 km squared of countryside, including mountains, rivers, lakes, fields, roads etc.

If you're talking a room to teach rifle stripping & assembly, I'd have to go for four walls, one ceiling and an adequate lightsource.
                            Take these men and women for your example.
                            Like them, remember that posterity can only
                            be for the free; that freedom is the sure
                            possession of those who have the
                            courage to defend it.
                            Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
                            If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

agree with jag on this one. A soldiers office is the outdoors why not train there too
                              It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

Working...
                              X