No announcement yet.

The Bofors article in the Cosantoir...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With out comprimising OPSEc but the Flycatcher/EL40/70 AAA weapon system is designed to be used in conjuction with the RBS 70. Current practice is for a layered defence with RBS 70 for outer ring defence and AAA for Close in Warfare . The accuracy of the Flycatcher system is at least 95% and elevation and traverse is not a problem as the guns are operated by the Flycatcher remotely. Once the FCO presses the button its good night Vienna as All weapons engage the target provide they are in range with no obstructions. Air Defence in the DF is a bit of a black art as little or no training is considered or given to air defence or working with ack ack units.
    Once more unto the breach, dear friends

Comment

With the EL 70/40 to cock it there is a cocking handle on the left hand side of the weapon, which you turn anti clockwise twice until you hear a very loud clunk, lots of pressure on this and it takes some getting used to, then you bring the handle back to it's original position. weapon is now cocked.

To load a round into the breach, there is another smaller lever again on the left side of the gun just below the auto loader, which you push fully forward then fully back, this will drop a round to just above the chamber, this is known as half load, just before firing starts this lever is used again. to put a round on the shift tongue. which pushes the round into the breech. full load.

The clip which holds the rounds together can come out either side of the auto loader and the empty shell casing comes out a chute on the front right of the weapon.
      Blog

WHAT FLIES DIES

Comment

I am really surprised that Gone to the Canner thought that using large calibre against Infantry was banned. You can use anything really although I think there are some rules about smaller break up type ammo. As regards those Anti Aircraft weapons .. I spend some time in Somalia where anti aircraft weapona on a truck, 23MM/37MM are fairly common. I know they are not the best but they do allow a rapid application of heavy direct fire. Very simple and if used by trained people very effective.

Comment

Argies using anti- aircraft weapons on the Paras at Goose Green ring a bell for anyone?
          "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

Originally posted by BANDIT View Post
            I spend some time in Somalia where anti aircraft weapons on a truck, 23MM/37MM are fairly common.
            Without commenting on the legality of this one way or the other, I doubt the Somali militias you saw were too concerned with the Geneva convention.
            "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Hi there
              As far as I am aware, armies are not supposed to engage humans directly with large calibres, ie, direct fire at a person. Indirect artillery is regarded as legitimate.Naturally, the rules go out the window after the shooting starts...
              regards
              GttC

Comment

GTTC, Post 51....Deja vu?
                Support the Search Function.

Comment

Joshua,it was entirely unconscious, yizzer Honour(shakes fist at Lynne Truss and apostrophe police)!
                  regards
                  GttC

Comment

Air defence isn't all about hitting incoming aircraft, it's about deterrence in the overall view(which is why the ADR is maintained) and in the case of an actual engagement where if you don't hit the aircraft but force the pilot to fly higher, abort or drop and miss their target it still means you have completed your objective...defending an installation or whatever. Now if you do hit the aircraft and it crashes into the installation then you haven't really protected it.
                    "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

Given the RNs applications of fitting AA weapons to ships in different formats ..amounts locations..refits..different weapons etc...I reckon they maybe a little insecure on the subject and maynot be the best test case scenario.

Recently came across a photo of a Leander Class frigate with 5x20mm weapons of two different varieties mounted on the one ship...nothing should be taken as gospel..especially when it comes to ships and weapons.
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Air Defence

Dail Questions 1st February 2007

Has a number of articles on the BOFORS - well worth a read

Comment

Working...
                        X