• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• would they let me join

I have a criminal record,
    2 offences
    burglury / theft + tresspass
    The army leaflets say a serious offence disqualifies you.
    What is a serious offence? Depends on your perspective dosent it?

Also.

Do you need to know how to swim before joining?

Also.

I am in to martial arts, do you get time off at the end of every day to yourself?
    Or is your whole time taken up.
    ( I want to do them while Im in the army)

Does the army get holidays or days off every week?

I cant find this information anywhere so I ask here.
    Last edited by Guest; 27 December 2005, 20:16.

burglary and theft are considered serious offences and therefore you wont be able to join

you dont need to know how to swim

as far as i know most of your time will be taken up with the DF
    Last edited by McCarthy; 27 December 2005, 20:22.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt McCarthy
      burglary and theft are considered serious offences and therefore you wont be able to join

you dont need to know how to swim

as far as i know most of your time will be taken up with the DF
      will they ask you about the crime to see how bad it is?

Comment

On application entrants fill out a questionare and one of the questions is have you ever been convicted in a civil court? or have you ever been convicted of an offence? ( not sure which one )
        then underneath it says if you ticked yes what was the offence?

Comment

On application entrants fill out a questionare and one of the questions is have you ever been convicted in a civil court? or have you ever been convicted of an offence? ( not sure which one )
          then underneath it says if you ticked yes what was the offence?
          yea, but surely they will not just go on a tick the box standard when choosing recruits.
          Will they not ask you in an interview what you done or the details of your crime, it'd be redicelous to be disqualified for a silly mistake I done when I was drunk, and to my own gaf aswell.
          example:
          How did I get in? I walked in the front door.
          How did you open the door? I turned the handle and it opened because it was unlocked.
          etc.
          Jaysus.
          Also I was in the reserves too. Would this help with getting in.

Comment

I dunno lad, i think you need to look into it more, just out of wonder why did your parents press charges for you breaking into your own house?
            The trick to pet names is a combination of affectionate nouns. Honeybun. Sugarpie. Kittentits.

Comment

it'd be redicelous to be disqualified for a silly mistake I done when I was drunk, and to my own gaf aswell.
              The fact you were convicted of burglary / theft suggests there's more to this story....

How long ago were the convictions and what sentence did you receive?

Comment

I thought that on the application form you sign a declaration giving the Gardai permission to furnish the defence forces with any information on your record which would affect your joining the df. That was case for fca(2yrs ago) anyway but im pretty sure its the same for pdf.

You should give it a go anyway you don't know unless you try.

Comment

yea, Ill give it a lash.

Comment

Being in the reserves would help, but the army have to get security clearance from the local gardai which is done before the actual interview. If you have a conviction then i dont think youll be called up to be interviewed

Comment

Being in the reserves would help, but the army have to get security clearance from the local gardai which is done before the actual interview. If you have a conviction then i dont think youll be called up to be interviewed
                      So the choice IS made on tick the box terms.
                      What if I was a really serious criminal with a record as long as my arm, ...but I was a foreigner and not convicted by the gards. Crimes foreigners do...dont count you know.
                      So the objective is not to keep people with records out of the army, just to keep Irish people with records out. Cant say im suprised. All the army exists for is to keep the paramilitaries down.

Comment

Listen, don't be getting upset before you even try.

Whatever anyone on this board says, it doesn't matter a damn. There is only one way to find out if they will let you in, and thats by trying.

Burgelry and theft? You'll have to explain that one to whoever interviews you... But I think they will let you in. Who knows, maybe they'll make a respectable and decent man out of you. Or else they have given a job to a scummer who doesn't deserve it.

And re:security clearance... thats just a working phrase. Its only called a security clearance when the Gardai have sent the persons file to Brigade HQ and they have read over and cleared it. Otherwise they make up their mind by reading it and an interview. Good luck.
                        Last edited by The Sultan; 27 December 2005, 21:14.

Comment

I think that most employers would be delighted to employ a convicted thief. You would be at the top of my list as a prospective employee. I assume that the df would also have no problem with trusting you and would therefore welcome you with open arms.Whats this button for....

Comment

You defently wont get in, sorry bud.
                            for more on christy moore. www.liambyrne.com great performance. City 10-0 UTD

'I have heard him of the Ireland he wished to see. When he struck the spark on the anvil, he struck the anvil in my heart. When I leave school, the only pursuit I want to engage in is the winning of the freedom of my country'.

Comment

A serious offence is defined as an offence carrying a potential prision term of five years or more.

From the Criminal Justice (Theft and Fraud Offences) Act, section 12 deals with burglary:
                              (3) A person guilty of burglary is liable on conviction on indictment to a fine or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 14 years or both.

(4) In this section, "arrestable offence" means an offence for which a person of full age and not previously convicted may be punished by imprisonment for a term of five years or by a more severe penalty.
                              Aggravated Burglary is a different kettle of fish. You didn't say exactly what you were convicted of.

Tresspass is a minor offence.

Comment

Working...
                              X