Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irish Uniforms

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Does it have to always go to tender? supposing for arguments sake the DF decided to buy 1000 sets of DeV's combat systems generic desert assault vests, given the small number could it not just be a bulk buy off the retailer at discount, no tender

    Comment


    • Originally posted by CS Gass View Post
      Does it have to always go to tender? supposing for arguments sake the DF decided to buy 1000 sets of DeV's combat systems generic desert assault vests, given the small number could it not just be a bulk buy off the retailer at discount, no tender
      EVERYTHING has to go to tender!
      Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

      Comment


      • Originally posted by CS Gass View Post
        Does it have to always go to tender?
        It's a State organisation.... 'nuff said.........
        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

        Comment


        • Originally posted by paul View Post
          EVERYTHING has to go to tender!
          Nope, items under a certain price(3k I think) just need quotes from 3 different sources.
          Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
            Nope, items under a certain price(3k I think) just need quotes from 3 different sources.
            I think the threshold is even higher than that, €1M AFAIK. always wondered why the army didn't buy in smaller numbers so the value of the contract would fall below the €1M mark, and they would not have to throw it open to international tender as is required for amounts over that. That way we could keep spending in our own country.
            CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

            Comment


            • The EU would probably have something to say if we kept at that

              Comment


              • Originally posted by CS Gass View Post
                The EU would probably have something to say if we kept at that
                The Brits seem very efficient at keeping their equipment home grown, although I'm sure some of our Mainland brethren could confirm or deny this
                CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

                Comment


                • Originally posted by REX View Post
                  I think the threshold is even higher than that, €1M AFAIK. always wondered why the army didn't buy in smaller numbers so the value of the contract would fall below the €1M mark, and they would not have to throw it open to international tender as is required for amounts over that. That way we could keep spending in our own country.
                  Giving , or awarding, a contract to supply goods and services to an Irish company has no bearing at all on where the goods and services will originate. In fact, the DF would be as well seeing to it that a supplier of choice, or "preferred vendor " was chosen, thereby attempting to exercise some control over quality. Remember... buy cheap buy twice.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by terrier View Post
                    Remember... buy cheap buy twice.
                    Thats why I said buy in smaller numbers to reduce the total value of each contract
                    CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by REX View Post
                      Thats why I said buy in smaller numbers to reduce the total value of each contract
                      Ever hear of murphy's law? Your equipment is made by the cheapest supplier, its what the DF have always done.

                      Buy good first time = greater cost, therefor = less times having to re buy, therefor = cheaper in the long run.
                      Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by paul View Post
                        Ever hear of murphy's law? Your equipment is made by the cheapest supplier, its what the DF have always done.

                        Buy good first time = greater cost, therefor = less times having to re buy, therefor = cheaper in the long run.
                        Read what he said again and you might understand it.

                        Threshold requiring tender=X
                        Total value of goods= Y

                        Skip tendering process buy buying half of required goods twice and then you can favour an irish company!
                        Last edited by The real Jack; 18 February 2010, 00:41.
                        Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
                          Read what he said again and you might understand it.

                          Threshold requiring tender=X
                          Total value of goods= Y

                          Skip tendering process buy buying half of required goods twice and then you can favour an irish company!
                          Arn't the people they get the uniforms off Irish already?
                          Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

                          Comment


                          • I think it's from the mainland Europe.
                            It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by paul View Post
                              Arn't the people they get the uniforms off Irish already?
                              Yup, and they sub contract the work to a dutch company who produce them in Malaysia.


                              Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

                              Comment


                              • With more than one supplier it is more costly & harder to manage the supply chain, you will also have more problems with specs etc.

                                It is cheaper in the long run to go down the single supplier route.





                                Ignore the EU (and national) tendering laws and you end up in court!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X