Irish Uniforms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
    There are no desert helmet covers on the latest tender. The next supplier will not be required to provide them.
    I guess that meand if we are goin anywhere dusty in the near future, it'll be with a blue helmet cover.

That is probally the most logical reason why they didn't get them.
    Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

Comment

• Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
      from the few pictures i've seen of our desert dpm it seems quite light shaded. maybe should be a little darker?
      have always thought the british desert dpm has been the best blend of pattern and colour shades i've seen of any country for camouflage in arid areas.
      i'd say too light is not a good idea and i'd agree, i think our Desert DPM camo is excellent, although we are switching to MultiCam soon, there are definitely some situations where dedicated Desert DPM can't be beaten:
      Attached Files
      Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 15 February 2010, 00:14.
      RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
        i'd say too light is not a good idea and i'd agree, i think our Desert DPM camo is excellent, although we are switching to MultiCam soon, there are definitely some situations where dedicated Desert DPM can't be beaten:
        They are keeping the desert uniform to be used alongside the multicam.

Comment

• RGJ,

is the multicam replacing your DPM, or the desert camo, or both?

the idea of a universal camo still hasn't convinced me of its merits. better to have temperate and arid. the amount of photos showing american ACU standing out like a beacon from the backround is testament to universal camo not being suitable universally.
          An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

• Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
            RGJ,

is the multicam replacing your DPM, or the desert camo, or both?

the idea of a universal camo still hasn't convinced me of its merits. better to have temperate and arid. the amount of photos showing american ACU standing out like a beacon from the backround is testament to universal camo not being suitable universally.
            i know this was addressed to RGJ but AFAIK they are keeping the three shades, the darker DPM, the newest multicam and the Desert but I'm not 100% sure.
            I knew a simple soldier boy.....
            Who grinned at life in empty joy,
            Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
            And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
            With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
            He put a bullet through his brain.
            And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
            Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
            Sneak home and pray you'll never know
            The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8422942.stm

Comment

• The Brits are'nt as silly as their American cousins the desert pattern is staying but the temperate pattern (around since the 60's) is going. It has to be said that multicam is the dog's , why the yanks did not adopt it I'll never know seeing as they are trailling a pinkish, brown version of the acu
                :confused: ONCE YOU HAVE THEM BY THE BALLS , THEN YOU CAN WIN THEIR HEARTS AND MINDS ! :

Comment

• OT
                  WARNING: Consumption of alcohol may lead you to believe that ex-lovers are really dying for you to ring them at 4am!!

Comment

• Just having gone through the specs of the "NEW" Smock/Shirt/pants/Norgie and Driflo(Crew neck thermal) i can honestly say.if it isnt broke why try to fix it.Zips under the pocket flaps on the Smock and Pants!Crap.Pointless.Just go back to what they originally had on the first DPM pants.
                    Pleated,patch type pockets on the shirts.Crap.Only good for a scrap of paper.Where are you supposed to put your mobile now?Only being brought in to keep those who want the Shirt more "parade style".never what ANY part of the FIELD dress was intended for!
                    Two sets of operational rank markings?(velcro and sliders)Waste of money.Just put a small strip on the back of the slider.Two for the price of one.
                    Biggest,cheap ass bollocks is the the proposal for a DPM "Driflo".Reading between the lines it is obvious what they are doing.Copping out on issuing a UBACS type shirt.
                    Why?(and i will bet i am right on this one)Some old school senior officer who will NEVER wear CBA or has any concept of layering systems or durable sleeves on shirts has decided"Well a UBACS shirt isnt "parade "enough when the lads arent wearing there flakkers.Cant have them going around like that.What that you say CQ?We allready have a brethable type top?Excellent.Stick a couple of badges on it (that were never intended to be worn with it)and knock it out in DPM.Problem solved."
                    WRONG
                    What you have just done is turned what was meant to be the base layer of a clothing system.Into and outer garment.Thus getting around the BSM's not allowing Driflo's to be worn as an outer garment on patrol overseas.Only problem is the material of the sleeves is nowhere near as durable as the sleeves on a true UBACS style shirt so will soon rip when in contact with lets say,Rock(gee,i wonder what hot ,dry country that we are currently serving in has rocky ground?)or thorns .
                    Total penny pinching and tinkering.AS USUAL.
                    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Expect anything less Apod?

Comment

• Someone should show them the results of a flash fire, that would get rid of the dpm dryflo fairly fast.

Personally (call me mad) but I wouldn't wear the issue dryflo's out on opps or even on a local patrol overseas, even if that means having to spend a fortune on flame retardant base layers myself.

Comment

• the fact that its the wrong options could be down to a number of things. maybe the gooder stuff was trialled and the penny pinchers on mobhi road said yes, hmmmm, we like the idea of good kit but heres stuff that claims to do the same job for half the price. note "claims"
                          I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                          Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                          Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                          And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                          With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                          He put a bullet through his brain.
                          And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                          Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                          Sneak home and pray you'll never know
                          The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buck View Post
                            i know this was addressed to RGJ but AFAIK they are keeping the three shades, the darker DPM, the newest multicam and the Desert but I'm not 100% sure.
                            the standard uniform will be replaced with the new British Multicam (Multi Terrain Pattern) however Woodland and Desert will still be kept but only issued 'specific to ops'.

a large document released at work tells us about the trials, development and deployment of the new MTP Camo and how it is much better in most instance but not as good in a some instances - that is why it will be our general service uniform and the other uniforms will only be issued if we are operating solely in environments where MTP would disadvantage us.
                            all future general issue webbing, assault vests and bergens etc will be issued in MTP and stocks of Woodland and Desert will be kept in reserve.
                            RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                              I like the "defence forces Ireland" patch.
                              I don't see the point myself, its obviously a military uniform and it has an Irish flag (that says Ireland on it), IMHO it is a waste of money!

Comment

• wouldn't 'Irish Defence Forces' be more appropriate?

or would bearing the initials 'IDF' be be sailing a little close to the wind?
                                RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Working...
                                X